Attendance Issues in Cali and how it relates to us

VaMilBill

I've always loved The Ralph or The Cap or whatever people call it these days. I appreciate how it's a simple structure built purely for football enthusiasts that can experience the game in all types of weather. What amazes me is that it always seems like the Bills sell out a ton or have mostly filled stadiums even when we suck (which has been frequent these last 17 years).

When we went to Toronto for one game per year, that really pissed me off because we wasted home field advantage and kinda dissed the city of Buffalo at the same time by doing it. Then the NFL owner groups and Roger keep calling for the Bills to update our stadium and saying Buffalo is a small market and not pulling its weight.

But then I look at this article and see the mess in LA with the Rams and the Chargers. That city doesn't deserve one team, let alone two. San Fran has a new stadium that seems like it's always empty the past couple of years.

My point is, I'm proud of our fan base and the "lower-class" stadium we have. I'm proud that we fill it to support our mostly bad to mediocre teams in good weather and bad. I hope we are able to stay at The Ralph for a long time kind of like the Packers at Lambaeu.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-nfl-is-seriously-concerned-with-empty-stadiums/ar-AArTqkb?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by VaMilBill

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sticking up for the crappy attendance at the Rams game Sunday but the stadium blows and is in the worst part of town. The Chargers don't even play in a football stadium. When they move into their new stadium, the Rams and the Chargers will sell out every game for a few years. Then and only then will we know if the city will support the teams.

I've always loved The Ralph or The Cap or whatever people call it these days. I appreciate how it's a simple structure built purely for football enthusiasts that can experience the game in all types of weather. What amazes me is that it always seems like the Bills sell out a ton or have mostly filled stadiums even when we suck (which has been frequent these last 17 years).

When we went to Toronto for one game per year, that really pissed me off because we wasted home field advantage and kinda dissed the city of Buffalo at the same time by doing it. Then the NFL owner groups and Roger keep calling for the Bills to update our stadium and saying Buffalo is a small market and not pulling its weight.

But then I look at this article and see the mess in LA with the Rams and the Chargers. That city doesn't deserve one team, let alone two. San Fran has a new stadium that seems like it's always empty the past couple of years.

My point is, I'm proud of our fan base and the "lower-class" stadium we have. I'm proud that we fill it to support our mostly bad to mediocre teams in good weather and bad. I hope we are able to stay at The Ralph for a long time kind of like the Packers at Lambaeu.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-nfl-is-seriously-concerned-with-empty-stadiums/ar-AArTqkb?li=BBnb7Kz

Hey to some of us older fans its still Rich Stadium

I'm not sticking up for the crappy attendance at the Rams game Sunday but the stadium blows and is in the worst part of town. The Chargers don't even play in a football stadium. When they move into their new stadium, the Rams and the Chargers will sell out every game for a few years. Then and only then will we know if the city will support the teams.

I'll believe it when I see it. LA fans are terrible (Christ, SC v. Stanford looked 40 percent empty). This will become more and more obvious over time. Also, the Chargers' presence in LA is the biggest joke in pro sports in a long time. I also think that pro football has more reputational problems in California than anywhere else in the country (CA culture and head injuries is a volatile mix). And let's not forget the flight of the Raiders. Just a bad NFL culture all around.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'll believe it when I see it. LA fans are terrible (Christ, SC v. stanford looked 40 percent empty). Thi will become more and more obvious over time. Also, the Chargers' presence in LA is the biggest joke in pro sports in a long time. I also think that pro football has more reputational problems in California than anywhere else in the country (CA culture and head injuries is a volatile mix). And let's not forget the flight of the Raiders. Just a bad NFL culture all around.

I just meant companies and rich people and people that want to be seen will buy up all the tickets to the new stadium just to see the place and think they can sell some of them off. The stadium will be awesome. They will have no problem selling it out for just the spectacle. Then after that wears off after a few years I assume that the attendance will dramatically drop. But maybe not. I predict it but it s not a foregone conclusion.

I think it was like 90 degrees in LA last weekend. Who wants to go sit in that sweltering heat. Maybe attendance will improve when it cools off a bit?

yeah, it's not like anyone in CA or FL or any ocean side area spends any time outside when it is warm. (sarcasm off)

I always laugh when Fish fans say they don't go because too much to do outside. Like they can't do that outside stuff any of the other 357 days of the year Dolphins don't have a home game? Ridiculous. Just call it like it is. They are not passionate about NFL. Simple.

LA is a terrible sports city, they only show up for the playoffs.

Not true. Clippers and Lakers sell out all season. Dodgers lead MLB in attendance nearly every year.

Edited by cba fan

yeah, it's not like anyone in CA or FL or any ocean side area spends any time outside when it is warm. (sarcasm off)

I always laugh when Fish fans say they don't go because too much to do outside. Like they can't do that outside stuff any of the other 357 days of the year Dolphins don't have a home game? Ridiculous. Just call it like it is. They are not passionate about NFL. Simple.

Not true. Clippers and Lakers sell out all season. Dodgers lead MLB in attendance nearly every year.

When they have winning teams thats true. When the Clippers had bad teams that stadium was empty. Kings hardly ever fill their stadium. Lakers were packed every game when they had Bryant, I am not sure what they are like anymore.

Yep. USC normally averages 75k a game. In a absolutely horrible stadium. Right in the middle of South Central LA. Last years attendance was down but there were reasons. 75k in that stadium is good.

The LA Kings are about 15th in attendance. Same amount (within 300 per game) as the Sabres, a hockey town.

I just think building a new stadium jacks prices of tickets and concessions up, forcing out the faithful and bringing in the upper class that are really only there for leisure, not passion. Almost like gentrifying the NFL.

It just strikes me that Buffalo seems to be the NFL problem child for lack of profit but the city is so consistent with its support. LA is so volatile and the fans have so many other options that NFL plays second fiddle to nearly all the franchises of other sports out there. I don't even think a new stadium will help the Rams much less the Chargers

I just think building a new stadium jacks prices of tickets and concessions up, forcing out the faithful and bringing in the upper class that are really only there for leisure, not passion. Almost like gentrifying the NFL.

It just strikes me that Buffalo seems to be the NFL problem child for lack of profit but the city is so consistent with its support. LA is so volatile and the fans have so many other options that NFL plays second fiddle to nearly all the franchises of other sports out there. I don't even think a new stadium will help the Rams much less the Chargers

The NFL (and all sports leagues) are a business and they don't care about 'the faithful' if it isn't going to increase their revenue. Would they rather have 50k+ 'faithful' filling the stadium, or less 'average joe faithfuls' to make room for some corporate suits who pay an extra premium to site in luxury with clients? You might think that buying the occasional jersey, or hat, or shirt while drinking overpriced beer and concession food is whats helping them make money, but ultimately its not where the money is at, the money is the corporate boxes and the 'suits' coming in and buying more pricey/upscale drinks eating better food in the boxes.

The NFL (and all sports leagues) are a business and they don't care about 'the faithful' if it isn't going to increase their revenue. Would they rather have 50k+ 'faithful' filling the stadium, or less 'average joe faithfuls' to make room for some corporate suits who pay an extra premium to site in luxury with clients? You might think that buying the occasional jersey, or hat, or shirt while drinking overpriced beer and concession food is whats helping them make money, but ultimately its not where the money is at, the money is the corporate boxes and the 'suits' coming in and buying more pricey/upscale drinks eating better food in the boxes.

That money goes to the local owner not the league or group of all owners. You're conflating issues.