cfl has banned contact in practice

boyst

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way to many long term head injuries happening in football... The sport is dying a slow death.. Most kids today play soccer or other sports. heck even some football players are choosing not to let their kids to play football

Brain injuries are a horrible sentence and to steep a price to pay IMO

I agree. The Bills better win their Super Bowl in the next 10 years before the NFL collapses.

CFL is just being $mart...they havent had the huge class action settlement for past concussions and brain injuries, and they dont want one, there's a lot more potential with the extra scrimmage yard and receivers being able to rush pre-snap...

I remember when Tom Cousineau played in Montreal, he was clear in an interview how extra beat up he was on Mondays while playing in Canada compared with the NFL

...are they merging with the Lingerie League??....just askin'......

I used to love the CFL, once even thought I could play in that league. i played canadian college ball as TE for 3 years, I was big (6"3' 240), pretty fast (I thought) even got invited and went to an Ottawa RR camp (1986) ...and got smoked by those guys. Even CFL/not quite NFL US guys are awesome athletes

Here's the article: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/cfl-immediately-ends-full-contact-practices-1.855515

The Canadian Football League and Canadian Football League Players' Association will introduce changes to their sport later today that will improve player safety and could have ripple effects well beyond the league.

Effectively immediately, the league will no longer allow full-contact padded practices during the season, significantly reducing the number of collisions players sustain over the course of a season.

Teams are currently allowed full-contact practices during training camp, plus an additional 17 days during the season. While contact practices will still be permitted at training camp, full-contact practices during the regular season will immediately become a thing of the past.

Cool now more injuries will happen during the games. You can't get conditioned to hitting without hitting.

Personally I think this will create more injuries on game day. Time will tell.

Yep

Just like the nation and its culture in general its becoming a nation of Marys.

Nancys?

Football seems to be going the way of gladiatorial fights. Too dangerous and too gruesome. Stave it off. I say cap every NFL player to 4-5 years to keep the damage to a minimum. Level out salaries so everyone gets a nice fat chunk to live off of and use for medical reasons

If the players, management and league believe this is the right thing to do why wouldn't football fans support 100%? Seems like a smart move to me, the laughable faux-testosterone rants are empty arguments.

I never understood the "manly" way to play: two-a-days, emphasis on the big hit instead of the smart tackle, playing hurt, and all the other things that don't make players and teams better. Hey, but at least you can say you're tough.

If the players, management and league believe this is the right thing to do why wouldn't football fans support 100%? Seems like a smart move to me, the laughable faux-testosterone rants are empty arguments.

I never understood the "manly" way to play: two-a-days, emphasis on the big hit instead of the smart tackle, playing hurt, and all the other things that don't make players and teams better. Hey, but at least you can say you're tough.

Once upon a time they said that only the weak drank water during practice.

Leagues are evolving. Some is each league protecting its ass(ets), some is each players group becoming better informed and some is the past players. Football is football.

The sport with the most concussions in high school is women's soccer.

I think we need to stop worrying about head injuries, so much. I think the players know the risk now-a-days and assume that risk when playing. They get handsomely rewarded for their troubles.

Except when they don't, eg, HS and college kids who think they are immortal, get paid squat, and how many, 99% don't make the pros?

Once upon a time they said that only the weak drank water during practice.

Leagues are evolving. Some is each league protecting its ass(ets), some is each players group becoming better informed and some is the past players. Football is football.

remember the Gatorade phase? Everyone only drank Gatorade? Water wasn't good enough and they realized too much Gatorade was bad.

Our training staff in college limited the intake of electrolytes to us, same with high school

For CFL enthusiasts, it will be interesting to see how this affects fundamentals like tackling in games. Is it going to get more sloppy. One also wonders if this will actually increase the risk of injury in games since players will become less accustomed to techniques for making contact without risk of injury. In other words, there are right ways of doing contact that reduce injury risk. Will players become more careless in games about using those techniques since there are no opportunities in practice to use them with live action?