Tony Romo's seen alot of NFL football in 14 years

/dev/null

not just playing in the NFL. Any semblance of time playing. Then enough time watching. You can see it.

I think it was GG. He and I went back and forth doing this years ago

One thing I would like to see Romo do is explain why he thinks certain things will happen more - it will benefit people who don't have the same experience as him. Would hate to see CBS crack down and make his style bland

One thing I would like to see Romo do is explain why he thinks certain things will happen more - it will benefit people who don't have the same experience as him. Would hate to see CBS crack down and make his style bland

He has seen it all and has a different style to him and it's refreshing. But I doubt he will go to in depth because if he starts with coach jargon it can get very confusing fast for people not in the know.

He sees a formation and a QB making a call at the LoS and he points it out and lets you know what is probably going to happen. If he started talking about the QB seeing the greendog backside and throwing it hot he might lose some people.

Hope he finds a good balance

I will be attending nmany of the next games but I've done these calls before in the shoutbox

The first one Lyn h run,. He spent all the time checking the linebackers had ends wide and dude check the corners

The run to left didn't see eniugb

The linebacker blitz. They were walking up and the line was shifting. That was easy to see

The kill being a run was obvious, the ol reset their stance to do drive blocking. OL play in college can be better then some NFL teams. Look at ol. How they stand. If their weight I forward they'll drive. If they're still on their hips pass. That was clearly a check from a pass to run when the D smchanged up. Likely from a cover 2 with a backer coming up to a 2 backed blitz

The nickel was moving up as he said it

The shift from.left to right the left OL heard it and then turned to look so carr yelled it at him to make sure he hear sit becUse its all on him. As well as he shifted his body to leverage a new angle. And it looks like the running back shifted his weight off his left to his right foot meaning he's ready to dig in.

Lebeau coming after him with that front is standard lebeau. All standing mix you up to hide who's blitzing knowing blitz is coming

The safety blitz was obvious. If you run in that situation in the scenario then 4th down is obvious. The fade is the only option three as a big guy man up on a corner to the outside in the EZ. Gimme that all day please

Edited by Boyst62

One thing to remember is that the announcing teams meet with coaches/players to prep for the game - it's possible he picked some things up from that as well

Youre going to see a lot of this in the coming years as quarterbacks from this era retire and take to the booth.

The rules put in place to protect quarterbacks over the last decade weren't to save their arms, knees and feet, but their brains--lose too many of the good QBs to concussions too often, and you're left with a league full of Buffalo Bills: middling franchises with no saviors. If you buy the theory that the NFL knew about the detrimental effects of concussions before the general public, then it's a short leap to think they were protecting the brains of the only position on the field that needs to think at that level.

A personality helps too, but Romo never struck me as a very deep guy from his locker room interviews. Guys like Cutler, Rogers, Fitzpatrick, Luck, Dalton, Flacco, Carr, etc. etc. etc. are getting knocked around at about 10% the rate of the guys like Gannon, Tasker, Aikman, Simms did during their career--when they eventually take to the booth, the color commentators are going to outstrip the play by play guys, in terms of interesting banter, by a wide margin.

He needs to be able to explain what he is seeing/why he is saying what he is saying in casual language. If nothing else on the reply after the play is ran. For example when he called the fade that ended up being a slant.

"QB's are looking for one on one coverage and space in that part of the RZ, so if you see the Safety start deep and approach the line it creates a lot of open space to run a fade route to the right corner, I know that's what I would have looked for but the slant was also a very good call"

Fans can understand that type of explanation and gain insight into the game as a result. If he gets overly technical or just decides to call plays out with no explanation it will not be received well long term.

Edited by KzooMike

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/11/video-tony-romo-says-what-plays-are-about-to-happen-then-they-do/

I noticed the clock was early in the game on most of those clips. Somebody at CBS probably told him to cool it off

Holy crap he keeps that up, they're going to be piping the broadcast into the D's helmets.

He needs to be able to explain what he is seeing/why he is saying what he is saying in casual language. If nothing else on the reply after the play is ran. For example when he called the fade that ended up being a slant.

"QB's are looking for one on one coverage and space in that part of the RZ, so if you see the Safety start deep and approach the line it creates a lot of open space to run a fade route to the right corner, I know that's what I would have looked for but the slant was also a very good call"

Fans can understand that type of explanation and gain insight into the game as a result. If he gets overly technical or just decides to call plays out with no explanation it will not be received well long term.

He'll learn. I hope.

I'm sure he's not the first to know this stuff. But there has to be a reason We don't se other guys doing it. I suspect this is going to change.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood