Report: Bills Add $2.5M in Incentives to Shady's Contract

26CornerBlitz

He outperformed him touch for touch........it's not debatable.

And to EMPHASIZE the point.......he did so despite doing all the ypc killing short yardage work.

This is not really even debatable........you are going to have to move your target elsewhere.

WRT Spiller.......my issue with him was that he just ran to random areas because he was too dumb to understand where the plays were going..........again.....all-22's proved this long ago.

I laughed hysterically at the notion that he'd do well in a more sophisticated offense in NOLA.......was I wrong about that?

This is kind-of a ridiculous attack from you but I know you feel like you gotta' defend Gregg.

No, it's ridiculous to say McG outperformed Shady.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't Wood Ineligible Man Downfield before ball thrown ?

Haha - yep.

Two things:

1) that penalty NEVER gets called

2) he's maybe a half-yard further downfield than is legal when the pass is thrown, so they probably wouldn't call it even if they saw it

The ball was thrown behind the line of scrimmage - I think he's legal.

Doesn't matter where the pass is thrown so long as it's a legal forward pass.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2017-nfl-rulebook/#rule8

SECTION 3 - INELIGIBLE PLAYER DOWNFIELD ARTICLE 1. LEGAL AND ILLEGAL ACTS

On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an ineligible offensive player, including a T-formation quarterback, is not permitted to move more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass has been thrown.

Item 1. Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:

1. he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent
  2. after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he remains stationary until a forward pass is thrown
  3. after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he is forced behind the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to normal blocking restrictions for an ineligible offensive player.

Note: If an ineligible offensive player moves beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent, an eligible offensive player may catch a pass between them and the line of scrimmage.

Item 2. Illegally Downfield. An ineligible offensive player is illegally downfield if:

1. he moves more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage without contacting an opponent
  2. after losing contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage, he advances more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage
  3. after losing contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he continues to move in any direction.

No, it's ridiculous to say McG outperformed Shady.

I don't see the comparison between MG and Spiller as runners.....they are about as different as two productive backs could be.......but perhaps you are on to something. :rolleyes:(you're not)

The funny thing is I am PRETTY sure I saw you in a thread just say today that MG would have scored on 1 or 2 of Tolbert's longer runs yesterday.......no?

If people dislike my takes......step up and provide some data.......that's what those of us who want to talk football are here for. :thumbsup:

I don't see the comparison between MG and Spiller as runners.....they are about as different as two productive backs could be.......but perhaps you are on to something. :rolleyes:(you're not)

The funny thing is I am PRETTY sure I saw you in a thread just say today that MG would have scored on 1 or 2 of Tolbert's longer runs yesterday.......no?

If people dislike my takes......step up and provide some data.......that's what those of us who want to talk football are here for. :thumbsup:

You use McG's yards per carry at 5.7 to say he was more productive than Shady. That's the first thing you say. But when Spiller averaged over 5 yards per carry, you often said he wasn't very good. You can't have it both ways when it comes to YPC stats. But you're trying to.

I didn't compare Spiller and McG as runners. Only their YPC stats.

And no, I didn't compare McG to Tolbert either. You're slipping, bud. ;) I said JWill might have scored on one or two of those Tolbert runs, because he was the guy they just released to give Tolbert the backup carries to Shady.

I think McG is very good. He just didn't outperform Shady. If anyone in the Bills front office thought for one second that he did they never would have tendered him or not matched the way they did. That is what is inarguable, not what you said was. ;)

Edited by Kelly the Dog

When they traded for him I said that McCoy would be out of the league at age 30 with a throw away line that he'd be doing radio.

I didn't preface it with "if he doesn't make significant changes" because I really had no reason to expect a guy who calls his coach a racist for trading him when he clearly had problems with doing what was being asked to do in that offense.

No difference than Sully but he gets paid to be negative?

Remind me of the joke:

"What is the difference between a hooker and a whore? One gets paid to screw you and one just enjoys screwing you."

Your reason for saying he was going to be in radio before he turned thirty was because he was no longer physically able to be an NFL player. That's what you said. Not that he'd be off the Bills' roster by 30, but he'd be out of the league completely.

Only you could now say, with a straight face, that your original prediction was correct when it clearly was not.

You were wrong and continue to be.

You would almost say he is Deranged.

I'll tell you the same thing I said when I saw it in real-time at the game: what unbelievable effort/execution by Eric Wood.

Well both he and Shady got paid before opener so they were on a natural high!

You use McG's yards per carry at 5.7 to say he was more productive than Shady. That's the first thing you say. But when Spiller averaged over 5 yards per carry, you often said he wasn't very good. You can't have it both ways when it comes to YPC stats. But you're trying to.

I didn't compare Spiller and McG as runners. Only their YPC stats.

And no, I didn't compare McG to Tolbert either. You're slipping, bud. ;) I said JWill might have scored on one or two of those Tolbert runs, because he was the guy they just released to give Tolbert the backup carries to Shady.

I think McG is very good. He just didn't outperform Shady. If anyone in the Bills front office thought for one second that he did they never would have tendered him or not matched the way they did. That is what is inarguable, not what you said was. ;)

MG got his production from following blocks and finishing runs..........Spiller got most of his from very long runs........and very often because he ran the wrong way to start with.

His all-22's are hilarious.......on the same play that would be drawn up to hopefully pick up 4-5 yards for Fred.......Spiller would run into the back of the OL on the other side of the formation while a gaping hole was there on the correct side.

My contention was that he couldn't fully understand the playcalls in the huddle.......whether it was language or just concept.......so on a play where Fred would know where the hole was going to be based on playcall + defensive alignment + line call........CJ was totally guessing more often than not even as he was being handed the ball.

Defenses naturally read, react and flow to the movement of the OL.......that's why they are just 4 yard gains instead of 40...........but CJ would occasionally just go the wrong way and totally blow up a well intentioned defense.

Unfortunately, he mostly ran into his OL backs and killed drives.

MG is the opposite........this guy stepped in and hit his marks like Fred Astaire in Roman's O.........and that's how a 220# back without a lot of wiggle and certainly a lot less speed than a CJ Spiller can run for 5.7 ypc AND somehow also be the leagues best short yardage back.

It is time for my annual "No one ever holds a loaf of bread like a football player holds a football when he is 'holding it like a loaf of bread.'"

Helluva photo I just found from Prescott Rossi. Not digging the "loaf of bread" ball handling, but you get a great capture of the moment a couple of Jets defenders lose their jocks.

DJd9_ayV4AErYpc.jpg

I always assumed he was seriously learning-disabled. I thought I heard that at one point.

Tasker let it slip on the broadcast of the game at Miami late in his rookie year that team officials had told him that Spiller wasn't playing because he couldn't process playcalls in the huddle.

For a 23 year old, 4 year college player who had been playing football all his life that pretty much said it all.........he played second fiddle at Clemson for 3 years for the same reason.

Intelligence is often confused with instinct when talking about backs.

McCoy's problem was that he had made quite a few plays along the sidelines early in his career and LB corps have changed significantly in just the past 3-4 years alone.

We used to be the laughing stock of the league for playing an undersized Bryan Scott...........now, fast, undersized coverage LB's are the norm.

Edited by #BADOL