If the Colts really suck, would they trade Luck to Buffalo?

BADOLBILZ

The focus on which team will finish DFL in the NFL this year has focused mostly on the Jets.

But is there a WORSE roster than the Colts if Andrew Luck is not on the field?

Suppose Luck can't come back early enough from his shoulder surgery to help the team compete for a playoff spot..........would they shelve him early and go for that #1 overall pick again?

And in a scenario where the first 2-3 picks were considered franchise QB's...........would the Colts then trade Andrew Luck to get a pile of draft picks and long term cap saving to try to re-build their roster and use that #1 pick on Darnold or Chosen Rosen?

Just a thought I haven't seen kicked around.....but if the Bills play Jauron-ball and land outside of the top 5 picks........it's not really THAT unrealistic of a scenario that they could be a good trade partner with Indy in a situation where other QB-desperate teams like the Jets and Browns get their QB satisfaction at the top of the draft.

Long shot but something to think about.........especially because there is just a very weird feel around what is going on in Indy.........it feels strangely like Manning-neck 2.0.

And if you are the Colts.......and your tank job falls short of completion.......your consolation prize is high picks to pair up with Luck in an increasingly competitive division.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More likely in that scenario that the Colts keep Luck and trade the top pick for a bonanza of draft picks, ala the RGIII trade.

True, but with as bare of a cupboard as the Colts have wrt their roster........ do they clear their future cap and try to re-build with a bunch of young players rather than waste two more years of Luck.........who they may view as injury prone at this point as well. He's taken a beating.

No. No Luck, much less Manning, coming out next year and they'd take a $22M cap hit.

Rosen was actually a more celebrated prospect.

But yeah, it all has to play out yet.

True on the cap hit, but if you are the Colts and you think you are 5-7 pieces behind Tennessee and Houston.......do you clear the board and restart with a surefire QB and a bunch of picks( 3 #1's and some 2's from the Bills?).

Doubtful.

I think they'd trade out of the spot with someone like a Buffalo or Cleveland or NY and stock up on draft picks to help surround Luck with as much protection/weapons as possible.

I wouldn't understand the logic in doing something like that.

In this scenario there are at least 2 blue chip QB's available......maybe the top 3 picks.....so the most desperate and well armed of trade partners are getting their QB for the price of 1 draft pick............and perhaps there is even depth with 5 total in the top 10.

If the Colts held the #1 overall I think they'd be very tempted to re-set........especially with the LOVE teams have for those unspent draft picks.......that player not yet taken is always so alluring to GM's it seems.

In this scenario there are at least 2 blue chip QB's available......maybe the top 3 picks.....so the most desperate and well armed of trade partners are getting their QB for the price of 1 draft pick............and perhaps there is even depth with 5 total in the top 10.

If the Colts held the #1 overall I think they'd be very tempted to re-set........especially with the LOVE teams have for those unspent draft picks.......that player not yet taken is always so alluring to GM's it seems.

Colts finishing first in the draft order would be a great scenario for Buffalo

The focus on which team will finish DFL in the NFL this year has focused mostly on the Jets.

But is there a WORSE roster than the Colts if Andrew Luck is not on the field?

Suppose Luck can't come back early enough from his shoulder surgery to help the team compete for a playoff spot..........would they shelve him early and go for that #1 overall pick again?

And in a scenario where the first 2-3 picks were considered franchise QB's...........would the Colts then trade Andrew Luck to get a pile of draft picks and long term cap saving to try to re-build their roster and use that #1 pick on Darnold or Chosen Rosen?

Just a thought I haven't seen kicked around.....but if the Bills play Jauron-ball and land outside of the top 5 picks........it's not really THAT unrealistic of a scenario that they could be a good trade partner with Indy in a situation where other QB-desperate teams like the Jets and Browns get their QB satisfaction at the top of the draft.

Long shot but something to think about.........especially because there is just a very weird feel around what is going on in Indy.........it feels strangely like Manning-neck 2.0.

And if you are the Colts.......and your tank job falls short of completion.......your consolation prize is high picks to pair up with Luck in an increasingly competitive division.

Ok...ironically, I get why you would propose this question, but at the same time I don't know why you would ask this question as I don't know how it would make sense for us to do it.

1. In your scenario, there is an Elite QB prospect available early in the draft. One we could compete for with our own draft slot if we have a rough year, or we have the draft assets to go hard for with a trade. Truth is, there are multiple QB's in next years draft that could be highly coveted come draft time.

2. Luck has a lot of fleas on him at this point: MASSIVE cap choking contract. Poor showings in the postseason. 105 INTs & Fumbles in just 76 career games. Mistake prone and inconsistent against better competition. MOST IMPORTANTLY, he has serious durability concerns moving forward in his career.

So not sure how becoming the next version of the Colts changes anything for us. We would have a MASSIVE contract invested in a QB with serious ball security issues and durability issues who already has proven can't carry a bad roster against good competition. So what good is it for us to give up all those assets for him when it puts us back in the same position the Colts are in? I would hate this move big time. Yes, he would be the best QB here since Kelly, but I don't think we are much better of a team because we are going to lose players on this roster to absorb him and lose the draft assets to fill in around him as well.

Ok...ironically, I get why you would propose this question, but at the same time I don't know why you would ask this question as I don't know how it would make sense for us to do it.

1. In your scenario, there is an Elite QB prospect available early in the draft. One we could compete for with our own draft slot if we have a rough year, or we have the draft assets to go hard for with a trade. Truth is, there are multiple QB's in next years draft that could be highly coveted come draft time.

2. Luck has a lot of fleas on him at this point: MASSIVE cap choking contract. Poor showings in the postseason. 105 INTs & Fumbles in just 76 career games. Mistake prone and inconsistent against better competition. MOST IMPORTANTLY, he has serious durability concerns moving forward in his career.

So not sure how becoming the next version of the Colts changes anything for us. We would have a MASSIVE contract invested in a QB with serious ball security issues and durability issues who already has proven can't carry a bad roster against good competition. So what good is it for us to give up all those assets for him when it puts us back in the same position the Colts are in? I would hate this move big time. Yes, he would be the best QB here since Kelly, but I don't think we are much better of a team because we are going to lose players on this roster to absorb him and lose the draft assets to fill in around him as well.

Luck been pretty much the player that helped them by far. Other then a good CB and one WR. I think they had one of the worst rosters, gm and coaching in the NFL till changed but roster looks weak very weak. Luck would be great here has McCoy and other's to lean on still One payer cannot do everything. Even Tom Brady would struggle with all that crap with the Colts

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

Luck been pretty much the player that helped them by far. Other then a good CB. I think they had one of the worst rosters, gm and coaching in the NFL till changed but roster looks weak very weak. Luck would be great here has McCoy and other's to lean on still One payer cannot do everything. Even Tom Brady would struggle with all that crap with the Colts

Yea, when people say all you need is a qb they don't literally mean that you can roll out 52 fans from section 321 with luck, but that's practically where the colts are at. And luck has kept them competitive. If you have any faith in your gm, you expect to be an instant super bowl contender with the move.

I'm actually envisioning a scenario where the Bills are where they usually are......a no man's land on the board.......a place that actually requires a good scouting decision on a young QB.........so I am figuring the top 3 picks are out of the Bills reach.

Like picking between 8-11 with their pick and the Chiefs pick around 24.

Even with those two and the 2019 year #1 and a bunch of other picks teams like Cleveland or NYJ ain't trading that pick to you if there is a stud QB there.

Is the 4th QB in this draft going to be as good as Andrew Luck? Could be but the odds are really against that.

Then factor in that this will still be an old team........barring ANOTHER huge roster turnover it's going to be a veteran team that could compete with a stud QB and a few more pieces(and health :sick: ).

I think I know what they are doing with this re-build........but it's unorthodox to say the least........so swinging a trade for a HOF talent who fell off the tracks a bit would not surprise me.

I can actually see McDermott staying married to veteran players.......wouldn't surprise me in the least.........and with what Belichick is doing with vets instead of young players it's at least an idea that's technically not entirely without merit.

Luck seems like an ultimate McDermott kinda' guy too.

Josh Rosen? Coolguy Darnold? Not so much. :flirt:

I'm actually envisioning a scenario where the Bills are where they usually are......a no man's land on the board.......a place that actually requires a good scouting decision on a young QB.........so I am figuring the top 3 picks are out of the Bills reach.

Like picking between 8-11 with their pick and the Chiefs pick around 24.

Even with those two and the 2019 year #1 and a bunch of other picks teams like Cleveland or NYJ ain't trading that pick to you if there is a stud QB there.

Is the 4th QB in this draft going to be as good as Andrew Luck? Could be but the odds are really against that.

Then factor in that this will still be an old team........barring ANOTHER huge roster turnover it's going to be a veteran team that could compete with a stud QB and a few more pieces(and health :sick: ).

I think I know what they are doing with this re-build........but it's unorthodox to say the least........so swinging a trade for a HOF talent who fell off the tracks a bit would not surprise me.

I can actually see McDermott staying married to veteran players.......wouldn't surprise me in the least.........and with what Belichick is doing with vets instead of young players it's at least an idea that's technically not entirely without merit.

Luck seems like an ultimate McDermott kinda' guy too.

Josh Rosen? Coolguy Darnold? Not so much. :flirt:

When I saw the thread title I thought it was absurd, but you make an interesting point. If Indy finishes with a top 3 pick I could see them going for the next great QB and unloading Luck for picks to surround him with talent. Not likely, but stranger things have happened.

Yea, when people say all you need is a qb they don't literally mean that you can roll out 52 fans from section 321 with luck, but that's practically where the colts are at. And luck has kept them competitive. If you have any faith in your gm, you expect to be an instant super bowl contender with the move.

But nobody tanks like the Irsays so the Jets might be in over their heads if the Colts decide to......

Four #1 overall QB's.......and ALL were the consensus-type

John Elway

Jeff George

Peyton Manning

Andrew Luck

All in a 30 year period.

Bills, by contrast, haven't even selected a QB with their originally slotted first 1st round pick.....ever.

Edited by #BADOL

When I saw the thread title I thought it was absurd, but you make an interesting point. If Indy finishes with a top 3 pick I could see them going for the next great QB and unloading Luck for picks to surround him with talent. Not likely, but stranger things have happened.

Stranger things have happened.

Like Drew Bledsoe.........an unquestioned, extremely popular, durable, mid-aged franchise QB with a SB appearance in his recent past and just recently rewarded with a mega-contract........being dealt to a division rival.

Nobody in NE was selling Bledsoe down the road until Brady actually won the SB.

A lot can happen between now and April.

It may not be the Bills but I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts deal him if they get another young stud QB lined up.