The Bills Have the 3rd Oldest Team in the NFL

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't dismiss it at all, but the Wood contract extension is a little puzzling to me. Get a franchise QB and surround him with talented players. All of a sudden, leadership is no longer a problem as every team will have high character players.

Do you expect the transition to take a year or two? If so, you are going to be deeply disappointed. If we get a franchise qb next year from the draft it is still going to take a few years for the qb to develop and to also reconstruct the roster. Already, to put things in perspective even with retaining some of the veteran players this roster has gone through a major overhaul since the wrestling coach's installment.

The rate of positive change is going to be related to how this new group drafts. If it has the same middling success of the Whaley drafts then this franchise is sunk. If it wisely drafts and capitalizes on its added picks then the rate of improvement should be accelerated. Make no mistake that for the most part McDermott and crew will not be building on the Whaley roster as much as they will be cleaning it out. Although it is going to take time it is the right approach to take. It also most be noted that the short stint of the mouthy Rex was very damaging. It set this franchise back by at least four years if you count the two years he worked here.

Edited by JohnC

For argument sake lets say over 27 is on the back nine of an NFL career. Maybe you're good for a year or two, maybe you start getting hurt all the time from the wear an tear.

Anyway, who fits that on the Bills?

Incognito, Wood, McCoy, Clay, Glenn, Taylor, Kyle, Hughes, Lorax ...our better players

old role players?

Humber, Ducasse, Colt Anderson, Yates, Tate, Tolbert, Banyard, TJones, Holmes, Ryan Davis, Wright, DiMarco

Who are the young getting to prime guys? O'Leary, Mills, Groy, Yarborough, Hodges, Gaines, LJohnson, Philley

And of course the good players in their prime for at least a few more years. Marcell and who knows with him, Preston, Matthews, Poyer, Hyde,

Pretty mediocre group if you ask me!

And then the rookies or unprovens Tre White, Z Jones, Shaq

Lots of work to be done and moves like Eric Wood for leadership, culture and trading Sammy, releasing Reilly, Shorts. Trading Ragland and Seymour because they aren't our guys are hard to understand. The strategy is hard to explain.

I have been an optimist with the team for the last several years. Choosing to support the new regime and the hope of change and new success. Give them a chance. I am willing to eat some crow that I was wrong on this. I am going to need to see some logic and real success, before that I am skeptical of what I've seen so far. The Sammy move when we could have franchised him and the Wood extension really got me going in that direction. Releasing the younger impressive receivers to keep old role players clinched it for me. We don't value young talent as much culture, scheme, and our guys.

Edited by horned dogs

Reminds me of the Leafs in the first year under Babcock. Use a team of veterans to establish a system, culture and stable structure so when when they brought in a ton of kids the next year they had the leadership and framework in place to acclimate them to play the right way.

Yes this may not have been the original plan but I believe that this is what McDermott settled on when he got to camp and realized that there were players who weren't entirely sold on him as a HC.

In many situations the owner would say........"prove it to them and make it work"........but TPegs promised to let McDermott make any move he wanted because he has developed a rep as an impatient meddler and felt he needed to.

The problem for McDermott is that this is a 2 year turnaround league and he doesn't have the chips to totally re-make this roster that quickly in the condition he's put it in.

The famous "6 draft picks in first three rounds" isn't going to replace all the talent they've let leave or walk........the draft is just not that kind.

And Buffalo is not a premier FA destination so he's going to be doling out premiums to get guys he wants there.....if they go that route.

He's put a lot of emphasis/pressure on his own ability to out-coach and out-gameplan opponents........we shall see what happens when that plan gets it's first punch in the mouth.

Edited by #BADOL

If we are not drafting high enough next year and we want one of the top QBs, we likely will be trading away some of these draft picks that we have accumulated to move up in the draft, which would not be a good thing considering the number of holes in our roster that have been created. Interesting that our four top CBs from last season are all gone (including the two starting CBs). I really hope that we are not going to use some of our early draft picks on corners. That would be depressing.

I get the Watkins trade. The others, not so sure. Seemed like they liked Seymour from the comments McD made early in training camp. Surprised to see him traded given the lack of depth and talent at the position for the Bills.

This article really shocked me. I thought Beane and McD were building for the fricking future. There's no future in frickin old players!!!

An old Roster and no young core to build around.

Simple.

They weren't good enough.

Troll. Stop trolling. We don't need you Boston Pats/Celts here. GTFO

Yes this may not have been the original plan but I believe that this is what McDermott settled on when he got to camp and realized that there were players who weren't entirely sold on him as a HC.

In many situations the owner would say........"prove it to them and make it work"........but TPegs promised to let McDermott make any move he wanted because he has developed a rep as an impatient meddler and felt he needed to.

The problem for McDermott is that this is a 2 year turnaround league and he doesn't have the chips to totally re-make this roster that quickly in the condition he's put it in.

The famous "6 draft picks in first three rounds" isn't going to replace all the talent they've let leave or walk........the draft is just not that kind.

And Buffalo is not a premier FA destination so he's going to be doling out premiums to get guys he wants there.....if they go that route.

He's put a lot of emphasis/pressure on his own ability to out-coach and out-gameplay opponents........we shall see what happens when that plan gets it's first punch in the mouth.

With respect to the highlighted segment the primary focus in the long run is not about out-coaching and out-scheming the opposition. It's about getting the right players with the right attitude and work-ethic to create a winning attitude. This is done by accumulating the right kind of players who buy-in (as you put it). Or another way of putting it is Dareus is not the prototypical player for this regime.

In my view this isn't a one or two year project. It is a minimum three year or more likely four year project where the roster is dramatically altered. There is an assumption that getting a franchise qb in next year's draft is going to magically make this team a contender. That isn't true. The talent base still has to be significantly upgraded in order to be a serious team.

Where I disagree with you and many others is that I don't believe that the roster the wrestling coach inherited from Whaley was close to being a playoff team. As far as I am concerned if the goal was to be a contender the roster was in shambles. When I say contender I mean not only making the playoffs but winning at least a game.

The coach is going to be subjected to a lot of criticisms as the expected losses mount. It's unavoidable. That's the nature of the business and the expected response from fans. But when all is said and done it's the accumulation of more talent that will determine success and failure, not the brilliance of the HC. (The one exception where coaching brilliance makes a major difference is in New England.)

When the well is dry it takes time to refill. Those who think this is a quick fix are going to be disappointed and infuriated.

I wonder what happens to that 26.74 if you take Lorax out of the mix and replace him with a 26 year old.

Yeah the problem is that that young player is a bottom of roster scrub.

If you take the inactives off the 53 and make it a 47 the Bills get considerably older.

But taking one player out CAN make a difference in that number..........I remember the Bills were listed as one of the youngest teams in Marrone year 1.........but if you took Brady out of the Pats equation and replaced him with a 23 year old EJ the Pats roster would have been younger. :lol:

What's so crazy about the age of the Bills current roster is the bleak outlook............the Panthers and Cardinals are considered potential turnaround teams this year because they were playing in the NFC championship 2 years ago........they have an EXCUSE for being old. :lol:

With respect to the highlighted segment the primary focus in the long run is not about out-coaching and out-scheming the opposition. It's about getting the right players with the right attitude and work-ethic to create a winning attitude. This is done by accumulating the right kind of players who buy-in (as you put it). Or another way of putting it is Dareus is not the prototypical player for this regime.

In my view this isn't a one or two year project. It is a minimum three year or more likely four year project where the roster is dramatically altered. There is an assumption that getting a franchise qb in next year's draft is going to magically make this team a contender. That isn't true. The talent base still has to be significantly upgraded in order to be a serious team.

Where I disagree with you and many others is that I don't believe that the roster the wrestling coach inherited from Whaley was close to being a playoff team. As far as I am concerned if the goal was to be a contender the roster was in shambles. When I say contender I mean not only making the playoffs but winning at least a game.

The coach is going to be subjected to a lot of criticisms as the expected losses mount. It's unavoidable. That's the nature of the business and the expected response from fans. But when all is said and done it's the accumulation of more talent that will determine success and failure, not the brilliance of the HC. (The one exception where coaching brilliance makes a major difference is in New England.)

When the well is dry it takes time to refill. Those who think this is a quick fix are going to be disappointed and infuriated.

Once you start getting to 4 or 5 year project plans in a 2 year league you are guaranteeing your failure as a HC.

Unless you maim your roster like Jauron did and McDermott appears to be doing the talent gap between most teams is close.

That's why it's a QB and HC league........good HC's win and they don't need half a decade to implement and execute their vision.

Coaches who hope to be allowed to stack talent for 5 years while they build a program do not survive nearly long enough to execute that ill-conceived plan. :doh:

With ANYTHING in life, I do agree, but I feel much better with these two than any combo since Polian and Marv.

Bolden caught everyone by surprise, but shouldn't have. I don't think the guy really wanted to play football this year period, but the old warrior wouldn't shut up. Bolden finally put him to sleep lol.

Vlad is here for one season, and one reason only. Miller sucks, and really sucks in this system. Vlad can at least move better.

Honestly, why do you feel better about this combo? Seriously, id like to know. I get being hopeful but what have they proven?

TD ended up being a failure but he was a million times more accomplished. Whaley worked 10 years for the Steelers. Jauron was a former coach of the year. Gregg Williams and Murlakey were respected OC who regularly were in the playoffs. Rex nearly went to the SB with Mark Sanchez. Doug Marrone was a Pinstripe Bowl winner!

So why, besides blind hope, is this duo so good?

Once you start getting to 4 or 5 year project plans in a 2 year league you are guaranteeing your failure as a HC.

Unless you maim your roster like Jauron did and McDermott appears to be doing the talent gap between most teams is close.

That's why it's a QB and HC league........good HC's win and they don't need half a decade to implement and execute their vision.

Coaches who hope to be allowed to stack talent for 5 years while they build a program do not survive nearly long enough to execute that ill-conceived plan. :doh:

I didn't say a five year project. But I do see a 3-4 project. For the sake of making an argument if the Bills draft a legitimate franchise qb next year it is not going to translate into automatic success. QB development and roster additions will still be required. At the minimum that right there is three years in the unappealing but necessary process.

You might not like the 3 to 4 to maybe 5 year time frame but let's put things in perspective: this befuddled franchise has been spinning its flat tires for more than a generation. If you can't handle an obvious reality you are going to continue on the road of aggravation right up to your demise. What did you expect from an organization that hired a fraudster like Rex? A quick mop up job? There is still a lot of residual manure that needs to be cleaned out of the stall before the stench is not so overwhelming. :sick:

Edited by JohnC