Nathan Peterman preseason breakdown

cover1

I've gotten many requests to look at Peterman so we are going to do a video breakdown this weekend. But after combing over the film and stats, I found how the team handled him to be very similar to his former OC in Pitt Matt Canada. Small sample, but that doesn't change their approach.

http://www.cover1.net/nathan-peterman-knowing-personnel/

Vs. TT' 16 season--https://imgur.com/a/Ab4JT

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it everyone is so concerned by a massive long ball? Very few QB's unload 40+ yard bombs in a game.

because qbs have to have it in their arsenal to keep defenses honest, and to take advantage of broken coverage. if you cannot go downfield, then the d can just load the box, stop the run, and disrupt all of the short stuff...like teams did with trent and then later, fitz.

Great breakdown, much appreciated.

About what I thought/feared. Looks like Peterman wil do very well but will be highly limited and easy to gameplan against. Too bad they didnt even have him throw a long ball to see what he has.Peterman wil be a very good & reliable NFL backup, he isnt going to be a franchise QB.

I think he can win, but I dont believe he is a franchise QB.

The 7 dropped passes put his completion percentage at 63.3%. And whether the lack of long passes was intentional or a sign he can't do it remains to be seen.

But a decent analysis nonetheless.

He is very much like Sam Bradford, if that deep shot isn't his first read/glance route, then he will not get it deep. He can not make deep passes that the WR can run up under consistently. Will have to be calculated.

Why is it everyone is so concerned by a massive long ball? Very few QB's unload 40+ yard bombs in a game.

...overhyped paranoia....Brady was never known for arm strength but improved greatly once in NFL workout regimen program....ditto for many others....it can be improved to an extent...Montana made a decent (COUGH) living in the NFL without being known for arm strength......Jeff George had a cannon and never amounted to more than a used cannon salesman in Iraq.....closer to home, Buffalo's very own JP Losman hit for TWO 83 yard bombs in the same game to #83 and he is where?.....yes, I know he has a championship ring with the LasVegas Locomotives, but........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The 7 dropped passes put his completion percentage at 63.3%. And whether the lack of long passes was intentional or a sign he can't do it remains to be seen.

But a decent analysis nonetheless.

I think if you're going to count dropped passes as completions to get a more accurate completion percentage, you should discount poor passes that receivers make great catches on. There were several. Zay made at least two. Reilly made 2-3. Shorts made 1-2. Just off top of my head. Plus the int that was dropped. Two of those.

Very right handed

Also Arm Stregnth still a major ?? To me

...a WELL overplayed card along with the associated paranoia.....some skinny 3rd rounder outta Notre Dame had a real cannon, didn't he?......can't remember his name though....some guy drafted by the Patsies in the 6th was solely picked (COUGH) because of his Jeff George (WHO and WHERE?) like cannon.......gimme a guy with brains, finesse and who can "thread the needle consistently" over the "proverbial cannon" any day of the week....the "cannons" shoot blanks more often than not period..............

...overhyped paranoia....Brady was never known for arm strength but improved greatly once in NFL workout regimen program....ditto for many others....it can be improved to an extent...Montana made a decent (COUGH) living in the NFL without being known for arm strength......Jeff George had a cannon and never amounted to more than a used cannon salesman in Iraq.....closer to home, Buffalo's very own JP Losman hit for TWO 83 yard bombs in the same game to #83 and he is where?.....yes, I know he has a championship ring with the LasVegas Locomotives, but........

The increase is minimal, but lets not act like Peterman's accuracy is anywhere near any of those guys.

I think if you're going to count dropped passes as completions to get a more accurate completion percentage, you should discount poor passes that receivers make great catches on. There were several. Zay made at least two. Reilly made 2-3. Shorts made 1-2. Just off top of my head. Plus the int that was dropped. Two of those.

Right?

...a WELL overplayed card along with the associated paranoia.....some skinny 3rd rounder outta Notre Dame had a real cannon, didn't he?......can't remember his name though....some guy drafted by the Patsies in the 6th was solely picked (COUGH) because of his Jeff George (WHO and WHERE?) like cannon.......gimme a guy with brains, finesse and who can "thread the needle consistently" over the "proverbial cannon" any day of the week....the "cannons" shoot blanks more often than not period..............

Go look ar his passing when lined up on one hash throwing to the opposite side of the field.

It is very well in question

Those are the Pick 6 Balls all day

Edited by MAJBobby

It's a required semi regular skill. What you are also forgetting is how many yards a 15-20 yarder outside the hashes flies and not just the ability for the ball to reach those guys but get there with zip.

Can he whip in a laser between two zones or before a member of the secondary breaks on it?

It's not a deal breaker but if you don't have the arm you have to be that much better than even the best at reading and accuracy and... to make up for it. Even that is simply to be a reliable long term starter, not up for a great qb discussion. There's been a lot of Chas Pennington references but even he was basically a .500 qb