2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

Buffalo Bills: Quarterback

deaba426ab4fc7bc335479925931ba2e_crop_ex

Count me in the group of people who don't understand why the Buffalo Bills seem so determined to move on from Tyrod Taylor. They do, though, and with two first-round picks in this year's draft and around $40 million to spend in cap space, this is the time to get a passer if they want one.

The Bills have likely played their way out of one of the top four quarterbacks in the draft. If the front office likes Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph, it's in good position to get one of them, but everything I've heard from scouts in Buffalo is that the team loves Sam Darnold. Well, he's a top-five pick, so they'd either have to trade up to get him or move on.

This is one of the more fascinating situations to watch. The Bills are a good football team, and head coach Sean McDermott has done a lot with a little since they traded away many assets to rebuild the roster.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills: Quarterback

deaba426ab4fc7bc335479925931ba2e_crop_ex

Count me in the group of people who don't understand why the Buffalo Bills seem so determined to move on from Tyrod Taylor. They do, though, and with two first-round picks in this year's draft and around $40 million to spend in cap space, this is the time to get a passer if they want one.

The Bills have likely played their way out of one of the top four quarterbacks in the draft. If the front office likes Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph, it's in good position to get one of them, but everything I've heard from scouts in Buffalo is that the team loves Sam Darnold. Well, he's a top-five pick, so they'd either have to trade up to get him or move on.

This is one of the more fascinating situations to watch. The Bills are a good football team, and head coach Sean McDermott has done a lot with a little since they traded away many assets to rebuild the roster.

He obviously hasn't watched Taylor play much.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 12/24/2017 at 2:38 PM, Will-GM-for-food said:

Lamar Jackson QB - Louisville
Taven Bryan DL - Florida
Rashaad Penny RB - SD st.
Isaiah Wynn OG - Georgia

I'd be good with that.  Don't see Jackson lasting that long though, the way qbs get inflated in April.

Here's my latest from Fanspeak:

18: R1P18
EDGE HAROLD LANDRY
BOSTON COLLEGE
25: R1P25
QB JOSH ALLEN
WYOMING
50: R2P18
LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH
60: R2P28
G ISAIAH WYNN
GEORGIA
96: R3P32
DL HARRISON PHILLIPS
STANFORD
120: R4P18
OT CHUKWUMA OKORAFOR
WESTERN MICHIGAN
157: R5P18
WR DANTE PETTIS
WASHINGTON
166: R5P27
RB AKRUM WADLEY
IOWA

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills passed on Allen at 25, I wouldn't be a happy camper. 

17. Buffalo Bills: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

Buffalo’s once-feared defensive tackle duo of Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus is no more. With Dareus now a Jaguar and Kyle Williams a 34-year-old free agent, it’s time for Buffalo to build its next tandem. Enter Bryan, who is an explosive and powerful penetrating force at defensive tackle.

Bryan is outstanding at dictating reps early with outstanding hand usage, leverage and power. Buffalo needs to retool its defensive line with players capable of winning one-on-one matchups, and Bryan has the traits needed to consistently do so at the next level.

25. Buffalo Bills (via Kansas City Chiefs): Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Sean McDermott went from five seasons with Luke Keuchly in Carolina to Preston Brown in Buffalo. While Keuchly is among the elite defenders in the game, Brown leaves much to be desired in terms of instincts and range in a scheme that demands it. With Brown being a free agent at season’s end, Buffalo will likely be happy to move on.

Evans provides the versatility to play any of the three linebacker spots in a 4-3. Offering a blend of athletic ability and physicality, Evans is a three-down player with sideline-to-sideline range who plays with a high level of urgency. That is exactly what Buffalo needs at linebacker. He can be that field general.

13 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I just don't get some of these mocks with the Bills passing on QBs. That's been our biggest weakness along with the DL. 

Very simple. People see a team that got rid of “a lot of talent”, but improved, with a game managing QB who doesn’t turn the ball over. But they also don’t see that he can’t consistently get his team in the end zone. 

18 (tie). Buffalo Bills 
Record: 8-7 (.498) 
Top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: With Marcell Dareus gone, the Bills might decide to lock in on finding a quality DT early in the draft. They need to improve at linebacker. QB could be the top priority, even though Tyrod Taylor is signed through next season and they drafted Nathan Peterman in 2017.

25. Buffalo Bills (via Chiefs) 
Chiefs record: 9-6 (.489) 
Bills top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: This is the pick the Bills acquired when the Chiefs traded up to land Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 draft. The linebacker position should be addressed, and DT is a need now that Marcell Dareus has been shipped to Jacksonville. The Bills should be looking for an upgrade at QB, too.

NFL.com 2018 Draft Order: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000855910/article/2018-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Another Mock with the Bills passing on Josh Allen at 25. ;)

17. Buffalo Bills: Derwin James, S, Florida State

25. Buffalo Bills: Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU

Hey, Don said we are taking him so ...

I would be pist too if skip over a decent QB prospect for a LB or any other position for that matter.

9 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

I just don't get some of these mocks with the Bills passing on QBs. That's been our biggest weakness along with the DL. 

It's only the 1st round.  I have no problem with the Bills passing if Rosen and Darnold are going 1 and 2.  The only other guy I would want is Jackson.  I'm starting to wane on Rudolph as a 1st rd pick.  He may go 2nd.  QB's will get inflated but I don't want the Bills REACHING on picks.  I'd be happy taking Rudolph or Falk in rd 2 or 3 and bolster up other areas in rd 1 if Darnold and Rosen are out of the picture.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

18 (tie). Buffalo Bills 
Record: 8-7 (.498) 
Top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: With Marcell Dareus gone, the Bills might decide to lock in on finding a quality DT early in the draft. They need to improve at linebacker. QB could be the top priority, even though Tyrod Taylor is signed through next season and they drafted Nathan Peterman in 2017.

25. Buffalo Bills (via Chiefs) 
Chiefs record: 9-6 (.489) 
Bills top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: This is the pick the Bills acquired when the Chiefs traded up to land Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 draft. The linebacker position should be addressed, and DT is a need now that Marcell Dareus has been shipped to Jacksonville. The Bills should be looking for an upgrade at QB, too.

NFL.com 2018 Draft Order: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000855910/article/2018-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

I would also add RG and RT to the mix although probably not in the 1st but those spots definitely need upgrading.  Hell even Center.

59 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

It's only the 1st round.  I have no problem with the Bills passing if Rosen and Darnold are going 1 and 2.  The only other guy I would want is Jackson.  I'm starting to wane on Rudolph as a 1st rd pick.  He may go 2nd.  QB's will get inflated but I don't want the Bills REACHING on picks.  I'd be happy taking Rudolph or Falk in rd 2 or 3 and bolster up other areas in rd 1 if Darnold and Rosen are out of the picture.

Any QB not taken in round one is not considered a good prospect by NFL teams.  That does not mean that occasionally a QB drafted after round 1 doesn't turn out to be good.  It also doesn't mean that any QB taken in round 1 will be good.

Outside of round 1, the odds of finding decent starters at any position is a lot higher than finding a decent QB.

I am not saying that the Bills should reach for a compromise QB prospect in round 1, but rather spending a valuable 2nd on a QB who will have significant weaknesses in his game as s a waste

Edited by OldTimer1960

This is not a mock draft. But, if you need to know, I did do all the work to put one together last week—our editors asked me to, and it’s actually a valuable exercise in that, by making calls, you learn where the league stands on prospects.

Long story short, we decided not to chase the clicks before the draft order is set and Black Monday comes and goes. Instead, I’m going to keep the full list to myself. For now. But I’m going to share with you what stuck out to me while vetting it with scouts from around the league, with some hints of where I had certain players landing . . .

BUF.png 17. Buffalo Bills

Maurice Hurst, DT, MichiganBuffalo needs to upgrade its defensive line, and Hurst, a redshirt senior with penetrating skills at defensive tackle, is precisely the building block Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane will love on the interior.

BUF.png 25. Buffalo Bills from Chiefs

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State. The Bills are likely to move up to pick a quarterback, but without trades in this mock, they go with a dangerous deep threat to give the offense a true home-run hitter at the receiver spot. He and Kelvin Benjaminwould complement each other well. 

18. Buffalo Bills | Christian Wilkins | DL | Clemson

Marcell Dareus was traded to Jacksonville, and Kyle Williams isn’t getting any younger, making defensive tackle a huge need for the Bills this offseason. A ridiculous athlete for his size, Wilkins is an explosive defender who makes life miserable for blockers, ball-carriers and quarterbacks alike.

25. Buffalo Bills (from KC) | Mason Rudolph | QB | Oklahoma State

Tyrod Taylor doesn’t look like the long-term answer for the Bills at quarterback, and the early returns aren’t promising on Nate Peterman. A bit of a reach this early, Rudolph is big, athletic and talented, but needs more polish and consistency.

50. Buffalo Bills | Anthony Miller | WR | Memphis

60. Buffalo Bills (from LAR) | Duke Dawson | CB | Florida

96. Buffalo Bills (from PHI) | Josey Jewell | LB | Iowa

114. Buffalo Bills | Bryce Love | RB | Stanford

Assuming we get another stop-gap because the price to move up is too high

18: R1P18  
EDGE SAM HUBBARD - OHIO STATE

25: R1P25  
LB MICAH KISER - VIRGINIA

50: R2P18  
WR CALVIN RIDLEY - ALABAMA

60: R2P28  
RB RASHAAD PENNY - SAN DIEGO STATE

96: R3P32  
G WILL HERNANDEZ - UTEP

120: R4P18  
DL HARRISON PHILLIPS - STANFORD

157: R5P18  
LB KENDALL JOSEPH - CLEMSON

166: R5P27  
S DOMINICK SANDERS - GEORGIA

205: R6P27  
QB RILEY FERGUSON - MEMPHIS

On 12/27/2017 at 8:07 AM, NewEraBills said:

Falk is a 5th rounder.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Falk is a 5th rounder.

Based on what?  If anything hearing scouts talk about Falk they don't know where to place him.  He could go bottom 1 or in the 5th as you suggest.  But, that suggests to me that there are some things that scouts really like when they watch but there are also some questions that are just left on the table.  So which is it?  Is he a 5th or can he be a 1, 2, 3, 4.  Does not seem as definitive as you suggest.

Well after last night I think it'll look something like this (at this very early point):

18: R1P18: EDGE SAM HUBBARD - OHIO STATE

25: R1P25: QB MASON RUDOLPH - OKLAHOMA STATE

50: R2P18: RB RASHAAD PENNY - SAN DIEGO STATE

60: R2P28: LB OREN BURKS - VANDERBILT

96: R3P32: DL HARRISON PHILLIPS - STANFORD

120: R4P18: WR ANTHONY MILLER - MEMPHIS

157: R5P18: EDGE CHAD THOMAS - MIAMI

166: R5P27: LB KENDALL JOSEPH - CLEMSON

205: R6P27: WR BRAXTON BERRIOS - MIAMI

And at this point you're probably seeing a theme in some of the guys that I like this year.

22 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well after last night I think it'll look something like this (at this very early point):

18: R1P18: EDGE SAM HUBBARD - OHIO STATE

25: R1P25: QB MASON RUDOLPH - OKLAHOMA STATE

50: R2P18: RB RASHAAD PENNY - SAN DIEGO STATE

60: R2P28: LB OREN BURKS - VANDERBILT

96: R3P32: DL HARRISON PHILLIPS - STANFORD

120: R4P18: WR ANTHONY MILLER - MEMPHIS

157: R5P18: EDGE CHAD THOMAS - MIAMI

166: R5P27: LB KENDALL JOSEPH - CLEMSON

205: R6P27: WR BRAXTON BERRIOS - MIAMI

And at this point you're probably seeing a theme in some of the guys that I like this year.

What is your thought process on drafting Hubbard with the first pick?  Not bashing you at all, just wondering your thoughts.  Personally, I think an interior pass rusher is needed first.  That may help out guys like Hughes and Lawson.  I love the addition of Phillips.  He reminds me of a Kyle Williams type grinder who doesn't have the athleticism but is just a football player.  Like the addition of adding athletic linebackers in Burks and Joseph (Not sure if Joseph will fall that far but who knows).  Penny is a solid prospect and I love Miller but I think he will be drafted earlier than that as well.  I like how you doubled up on some of the positions but I think one of those positions should be DT.  

We need a pass rush.  That's clear but what do you see in Hubbard that makes you willing to draft him with Buffalo's first pick?  I have my own opinions of him, just wondering yours

I do like drafting a QB and his best WR in the same draft it helps the transition for sure. How Washington fits into the roster is another question but it couldn't hurt. I like what I saw out of Rudolph yesterday even though he started slow once he got it going he was making all the throws and reading the defense. 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

What is your thought process on drafting Hubbard with the first pick?  Not bashing you at all, just wondering your thoughts.  Personally, I think an interior pass rusher is needed first.  That may help out guys like Hughes and Lawson.  I love the addition of Phillips.  He reminds me of a Kyle Williams type grinder who doesn't have the athleticism but is just a football player.  Like the addition of adding athletic linebackers in Burks and Joseph (Not sure if Joseph will fall that far but who knows).  Penny is a solid prospect and I love Miller but I think he will be drafted earlier than that as well.  I like how you doubled up on some of the positions but I think one of those positions should be DT.  

We need a pass rush.  That's clear but what do you see in Hubbard that makes you willing to draft him with Buffalo's first pick?  I have my own opinions of him, just wondering yours

I agree we need pass rush, and I prioritized End because I am not convinced Hughes will be back and Lawson simply doesn't provide pass rush. I think there is some value on day 2 for interior linemen that can do what we need them to, but I've always been of the mind that EDGE is a premium position moreso than DT. Hubbard is a guy who fits McD's physical profile for a DE, but also posesses the versatility to move around the line for some sub packages. Ultimately, Hubbard just seems very much like a McD guy.

At the end of the day rankings will adjust between now and April, but I see day 2 as the sweet spot for DTs. I'm not sold enough to go for one in round 1, and I don't like many of the late round prospects either. I also think there are more viable FA options at DT than at DE, which will impact our needs come draft time.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

20 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I agree we need pass rush, and I prioritized End because I am not convinced Hughes will be back and Lawson simply doesn't provide pass rush. I think there is some value on day 2 for interior linemen that can do what we need them to, but I've always been of the mind that EDGE is a premium position moreso than DT. Hubbard is a guy who fits McD's physical profile for a DE, but also posesses the versatility to move around the line for some sub packages. Ultimately, Hubbard just seems very much like a McD guy.

At the end of the day rankings will adjust between now and April, but I see day 2 as the sweet spot for DTs. I'm not sold enough to go for one in round 1, and I don't like many of the late round prospects either. I also think there are more viable FA options at DT than at DE, which will impact our needs come draft time.

I agree with your assessment that DE is more of a premium position.  I like Lawson in rotation as a run stuffer.  Wondering if Hughes will be here and if he bounces back.  The need for DT is clear and I agree we could find one in the 2nd or 3rd round that could be productive.  

Obviously the rankings will change.  He certainly is an option for me as well.  I like his fit with the team.  However, if a versatile DT like Wilkins is there, I'd have a hard time passing on him.  

I just have some questions about Hubbard's productivity as a pass rusher in college.  He has had less sacks than Lawson had.  He was asked to do different things at Ohio State though.  He looks like a player who'd have more sacks and pressures in the NFL than in college as he learns more moves and techniques.  He has quality pursuit at this point.

Edited by Buffalo30

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I agree with your assessment that DE is more of a premium position.  I like Lawson in rotation as a run stuffer.  Wondering if Hughes will be here and if he bounces back.  The need for DT is clear and I agree we could find one in the 2nd or 3rd round that could be productive.  

Obviously the rankings will change.  He certainly is an option for me as well.  I like his fit with the team.  However, if a versatile DT like Wilkins is there, I'd have a hard time passing on him.  

I just have some questions about Hubbard's productivity as a pass rusher in college.  He has had less sacks than Lawson had.  He was asked to do different things at Ohio State though.  

I expect Wilkins to go in the top 10.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I expect Wilkins to go in the top 10.

So do I at this point but who knows, with QBs,  offensive lineman and secondary players possibly dominating the first 15 picks, along with Barkley and Chubb and Smith...some quality players will fall.  

I guess I just have trouble with Hubbard.  He isn't a dominant pass rusher.  He has a solid skillset but hasn't seemed to put it all together yet.  4.5 sacks this year isn't enough to get me to jump out of my chair for him in the first round.  His career high is 6.5 sacks.  I just have a difficult time grabbing him and saying we are getting him to be a pass rusher for this team when he hasn't put it all together in college.  He's not even the best pass rusher on his team in college.  His potential is there though

Edited by Buffalo30

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

So do I at this point but who knows, with QBs,  offensive lineman and secondary players possibly dominating the first 15 picks, along with Barkley and Chubb and Smith...some quality players will fall.  

I guess I just have trouble with Hubbard.  He isn't a dominant pass rusher.  He has a solid skillset but hasn't seemed to put it all together yet.  4.5 sacks this year isn't enough to get me to jump out of my chair for him in the first round.  His career high is 6.5 sacks.  I just have a difficult time grabbing him and saying we are getting him to be a pass rusher for this team when he hasn't put it all together in college.  His potential is there though

Unfortunately the guys that do have the production are smaller than McD's historical standard DE. Maybe he'll cave and go with production, but I suspect he'll stick to his roots and go with size and versatility. There are certainly a lot of EDGE guys to look at this year though. Landry, Key, Hubbard, Ferrell, Bryant, Sweat, Thomas, Ejiofor, etc.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Unfortunately the guys that do have the production are smaller than McD's historical standard DE. Maybe he'll cave and go with production, but I suspect he'll stick to his roots and go with size and versatility. There are certainly a lot of EDGE guys to look at this year though. Landry, Key, Hubbard, Ferrell, Bryant, Sweat, Thomas, Ejiofor, etc.

I just see DE as something to grab in the second round rather than reach for a guy in the first that hasn't had the combination of production of size that you're looking for.  A lot of the guys you mention there will be taken later.  Just seems to be a smarter way to go in my opinion.  DE is not a strength of this class at the top, no need to reach just because of a need in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I just see DE as something to grab in the second round rather than reach for a guy in the first that hasn't had the combination of production of size that you're looking for.  A lot of the guys you mention there will be taken later.  Just seems to be a smarter way to go in my opinion.  DE is not a strength of this class at the top, no need to reach just because of a need in my opinion.

Agreed.  This draft is crazy deep at edge.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.