2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

I'd love any of the QBs and think that we could get a good "sit on the bench and learn" guy if we play our cards right and if Tyrod continues to play at his low mistake level. 

Draft Gods were good to me today:

22: R1P22
G QUENTON NELSON
NOTRE DAME
27: R1P27
DL LOWELL LOTULELEI
UTAH
54: R2P22
WR DEON CAIN
CLEMSON
58: R2P26
QB JOSH ALLEN
WYOMING
96: R3P32
OT CHUKWUMA OKORAFOR
WESTERN MICHIGAN
124: R4P22
RB MARK WALTON
MIAMI
160: R5P22
EDGE ANDREW BROWN
VIRGINIA
161: R5P23
S GODWIN IGWEBUIKE
NORTHWESTERN

On 11/3/2017 at 7:50 PM, thunderingsquid said:

Here's a draft in light of the Thursday debacle vs the Jets:

1: R1P24
G QUENTON NELSON
NOTRE DAME
2: R1P30
OT ORLANDO BROWN
OKLAHOMA
3: R2P23
EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON
LOUISIANA TECH
4: R2P24
QB BAKER MAYFIELD
OKLAHOMA
5: R3P32
RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO STATE
6: R4P24
WR DARREN CARRINGTON II
UTAH
7: R5P21
DL MAURICE HURST
MICHIGAN
8: R5P24
S TREY MARSHALL
FLORIDA STATE

Ridiculous and unrealistic.  Maurice Hurst has first round ratings on him as he is an explosive defensive tackle with exceptional first step quickness which makes up for his less than stellar size.  

Before we go throwing names out there, why don't we actually take a look at what this front office looks for and if the players would fit what they are trying to do.  The name Dre'mont Jones has been tossed around yet he's only a redshirt sophmore.  Looking at 2017's draft, this front office values experience and high character as they drafted all seniors in the class.  I don't see them going after a sophomore but who knows.  Senior DT Maurice Hurst seems like a more fitting target as he would provide the quickness and pass rush that McDermott found in a player like Kawonn Short in Carolina.  In Carolina, the majority of the draft picks were on the defensive and offensive lines.  I expect the same to happen here since our lines are aging and have holes everywhere along them.  They value guys with lots of starts in their career so I expect the OG Billy Prices of the college world to be high on their board.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Before we go throwing names out there, why don't we actually take a look at what this front office looks for and if the players would fit what they are trying to do.  The name Dre'mont Jones has been tossed around yet he's only a redshirt sophmore.  Looking at 2017's draft, this front office values experience and high character as they drafted all seniors in the class.  I don't see them going after a sophomore but who knows.  Senior DT Maurice Hurst seems like a more fitting target as he would provide the quickness and pass rush that McDermott found in a player like Kawonn Short in Carolina.  In Carolina, the majority of the draft picks were on the defensive and offensive lines.  I expect the same to happen here since our lines are aging and have holes everywhere along them.  They value guys with lots of starts in their career so I expect the OG Billy Prices of the college world to be high on their board.  

This is why I wonder if a guy like Mayfield is even an option because of his off-field issue, but other than that one incident or getting drunk and resisting arrest, does he have any issues? Kid seems to ooze leader from what I've seen/heard. 

On 11/3/2017 at 7:50 PM, thunderingsquid said:

Here's a draft in light of the Thursday debacle vs the Jets:

1: R1P24
G QUENTON NELSON
NOTRE DAME
2: R1P30
OT ORLANDO BROWN
OKLAHOMA
3: R2P23
EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON
LOUISIANA TECH
4: R2P24
QB BAKER MAYFIELD
OKLAHOMA
5: R3P32
RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO STATE
6: R4P24
WR DARREN CARRINGTON II
UTAH
7: R5P21
DL MAURICE HURST
MICHIGAN
8: R5P24
S TREY MARSHALL
FLORIDA STATE

I see the need for developing our offensive line and hope we are aggressive in addressing that need which we may do prior to the draft (depending on who is available, obviously).  It seems unlikely that Mayfield will be available late in the second round and would need to be taken much earlier, if he is even available by the time the Bills are on the clock.

47 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Nobody is touching Mayfield in the 1st unless he's lights out at combine and workouts, because combine will show he's short of 6' with short arms

I am no NFL scout but I predict Mayfield will be a high first rounder.  I am looking at his body of work and did the same with Watson last year.  He shined in the biggest games and that translated to he NFL until his injury.

In full disclosure, I am seldom right about the draft so that needs to be taken into consideration.

13 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

This is why I wonder if a guy like Mayfield is even an option because of his off-field issue, but other than that one incident or getting drunk and resisting arrest, does he have any issues? Kid seems to ooze leader from what I've seen/heard. 

It's difficult to say either way but I'm sure they will do some thorough scouting on him.  I think what hurts him is that he isn't the ideal prospect at QB and he has had off-the-field issues.  He isn't the tallest of players, doesn't have the best arm but he is a solid leader and has had great production against college talent.  In a class that has a lot of tall QB options, who knows what that hurts his stock.  His testing at the combine and in interviews will surely be what shoots him up the boards or has him falling into the second round.  I think for this Buffalo team, leadership is the most important quality for our QB but we will see.

8 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I am no NFL scout but I predict Mayfield will be a high first rounder.  I am looking at his body of work and did the same with Watson last year.  He shined in the biggest games and that translated to he NFL until his injury.

In full disclosure, I am seldom right about the draft so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Show me Mayfield can beat a Nick Saban defense after Saban has first hand knowledge of his play, and it will be a fair comparison. Watson was the biggest no brainer and teams over thought it. If you can beat Bama you deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I can't remember who said it years ago, but it always rang pretty true to me. When looking at a college quarterback coming out and becoming a successful pro, he looked at three things...

1. Sample size- should be at least 28-30 games started. Again, this is isn't an exact science, but it sure helps If a guy shows he's done it over a long stretch.

2. Completion percentage: At the time, whoever said this said 60% completion percentage. I think now, especially in college, 63%-65% is a reasonable ask. 

3. Interception rate: can't be turnover machines.

I think it was anything around or over 1 turnover  per game (either fumble, int, whatever), and it was considered a risk. 

I think a good 4th category would be quality wins, like atlbillsfan is saying. As a QB in football if you're on a decent/good team, and you're a QB who's going to translate to the NFL, you need to show the ability to carry your club on your back. Watson 

Again, I can't remember the exact numbers, and I know this is an inexact science, but if you look at a guy who's started three years in college, completed 65% of their passes, and turn the ball over less than 10times per year, minus the Texas Tech gimmick teams (which is where I think people question what Rudolph's done), you'll usually have a solid quarterback.

I think Mayfield has checked enough of these categories, and also seems to just have whatever "it" is. He might play a bit similarly to Manziel, but 

1. He's a lot thicker in his entire frame

2. He escapes looking to throw, not to run 

3. While he's confident, he doesn't seem to be a totally arrogant punk. He came to Texas Tech as a walk-on and became the first true freshman to start his first college game at quarterback in FBS history. Then transferred to Oklahoma without a scholarship, no guarantees of any position and has been a 3year starter there, and put up very very impressive numbers. 

But again, as atlbillsfan has said, if he can go and take them and beat 'Bama... that would really be something. Doesn't HAVE to happen to make him a good pro, but it would certainly help his case.

But I believe the QB's will go in the following order:

1. Rosen- he just seems like the consensus #1 in terms of his talent.

2. Darnold- His performance last season, and a good finish this year will keep him this high.

3. Jackson- I think people around the league salivate over his potential.

4. Rudolph- big, smart, not the strongest arm, but effective, not the most accurate, but effective. His frame, again is also enticing, doesn't seem to make too many crazy errors

5. Allen- struggled hard this year, but has really impressive physical traits. 

6. Mayfield- I think the height thing is really gonna hurt his stock. And the fact that he came in as a mid-late Round guy in the eyes of most and has to climb over all the guys behind and listed above. 

Honestly i think at least 5, if not all 6 will go in the first round. It's a quarterback league and teams are desperate. 

Round One

22. Buffalo Bills | James Washington | WR | Oklahoma State

27. Buffalo Bills (from KC) | Roquan Smith | LB | Georgia

Round Two

54. Buffalo Bills | Taven Bryan | DL | Florida

58. Buffalo Bills (from LAR) | Anthony Averett | CB | Alabama

Round Three

96. Buffalo Bills (from PHI) | Bo Scarbrough | RB | Alabama

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Round One

Round Two

Round Three

So...we are set at QB?

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Round One

Round Two

Round Three

I would take that and be happy :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Round One

Round Two

Round Three

This would be an amazing draft, but I’d be upset about not addressing OL at all

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

Agreed, I think now that Benjamin is aboard, offensive line should be addressed before wide receiver in the draft.  Both our lines haven't played well this year and are aging.

Zay was looking like he was going to have a dominant game against the Jets.  That play he was tripped had reservations for 6, completely beat his man with no safety over top, and the ball was already in the air.  He was going to have over 100 yards receiving and 2 TDs before half! Tyrod trusts him through all his woes early in the season, which is real promising.

I think with the addition of KB, there's no way we keep Matthews at the money he's seeking (probably over 5-6 million +).  He hasn't shown worthy of any price tag that much, could address the WR position in the draft with a pick in round 1-3 and get better production for much cheaper.

With the loss of the 3rd rounder to Carolina, I hope we don't address the RB until the 4th, unless we really like someone in the 3rd.  Too many prominent holes to fill. Boy I wish Karlos Williams didn't eat his way out the league.

I am a draft nerd.  I like looking at the potential fit of young players on our team.  You'll notice that all the players I have chosen in the mock are players that are seniors with experience starting multiple years at the college level.  It is not solely big named schools as this front office showed that they are willing to dip into the less known programs like Zay Jones who's from the East Carolina Pirates.  These players have excelled and gotten better in their time in college.  Some of them could be picked higher than I chose them if they kill the combine and interview process.  I hope you enjoy the read.  

1st                 DT Maurice Hurst, Michigan 6’2” 280

The senior at the Blue has gotten better each season of his college career yet showing consistent production throughout.  He’s played a lot in more of a rotation role the last three years and wreaked havoc as a pass rusher.  Posting 3 sacks his sophomore year, 5 sacks his junior year and 4 sacks through 9 games so far in his senior year, the smaller defensive tackle relies on his quick burst to reach the quarterback.  His quickness and smaller size draw comparisons to Aaron Donald who came out a few years ago.  The senior has made 40 total tackles through just 9 games proving he can effect more than just the pass.  His quickness closes the holes fast and leave no space for the runner to go.  Averaging 4.4 tackles per game this year is pretty darn good for a defensive tackle.

1st                 LB Tegray Scales, Indiana 6’0” 230

I’m a in love with the potential a Tegray scales would have in the middle of McDermott’s defense.  I think he would be a very productive pick and be a weapon for the defense.  Tegray Scales is a smaller linebacker but is all over the field.  He makes plays in the run game, rushing the passer and can cover downfield and pick off a few passes.  To me, he is a true triple threat defender who is fast, a four year starter and is just a flat out tackling machine.  In 2016, he posted 125 tackles, 24 tackles for loss and 7 sacks.  He’s had 7 career interceptions to go along with 16 sacks.  He’s had another solid season so far in his senior year.  I think he could play any linebacker position in McDermott’s system and will shine.

2nd                 OG/C Billy Price, Ohio State 6'3" 300

With old man time knocking at the door of Incognito and soon Eric Wood, a future replacement is needed.  He could fill in at RG as well.  McDermott loves guys with high character and have experience in college.  The four year senior has seen plenty of time on the OSU offensive line.  I also like the Senior from UTEP Will Hernandez but I personally have him sneaking into the end of the first round to a team like the Seahawks.  Would love him here if he fell.

2nd                 OG/OT Cody O'connell, Washington State 6'8" 370

I am giddy by just writing about this guy.  If there was every a comparison you could make between a human and a brick wall, this is your guy.  He excels in pass blocking allowing only one sack in his junior season.  Unsure why he isn't more recognized but I think at the senior bowl and at the combine his stock will rise a lot.  He has played mostly LG in college and I think that could be a good spot for him but I also think he has the mobility and power to play RT.  That turnstile needs to be fixed and fast.  These two selections would make our aging offensive line less of a concern moving forward.  Having 3 youngsters not even including John Miller who seems to be in the doghouse would be exciting for an offensive line that needs an infusion of young talent that can develop next to the aging veterans.

3rd                 RB Royce Freeman, Oregon 6’0” 230

In a rich running back class, some names will be lost in the shuffle and fall to the middle rounds.  Freeman, a highly productive senior for the Ducks might not last much further than this point though.  He is a deceptive running back with his speed and power.  Would be a nice running partner next to Mccoy and perhaps his eventual replacement.  I think they are okay with taking Freeman in the third, he's been a solid back and quite consistent in his production throughout his college career.

4th                 CB Danny Johnson, Southern 5’9” 185 

I chose Johnson because he's got great closing speed that will help him in the zone defense that we run.  But I think corner will be addressed in the middle rounds, especially if Johnson and Gaines remain on the team moving forward.  Could see some big name corner from a big school drop and be picked by Buffalo here.  Tony Brown for Alabama comes to mind but I expect a corner here in a deep class of defensive backs.  This would give us 4 solid corners including two really young ones.

5th                 S Siran Neal, Jacksonville State 6’1” 205

Overlooked because he plays at a small school but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a riser.  Great size for the position and has some versatility as he's lined up at corner as well.  I think Buffalo will look for safety depth later in the draft.  I think he would do really well in McDermott's system.  He ultimately could go higher than this with a nice showing at the senior bowl and the combine. 

5th                 LB Keishawn Bierria, Washington, 6’1” 225

The forgotten talent next to Azeem Victor, Keishawn is another smaller linebacker who is fast enough to be a disruptive player.  He's been prodcutive on the loaded Washington defense.  Why not add another young fast linebacker to the depth chart when you have a guy like McDermott as your coach?  Again, he could ultimately go higher with a solid showing at the senior bowl and the combine but I have him falling here due to his lack of size and maybe cuz I just want him to fall into Buffalo's lap.  This is another Milano type pick.  This would give the Bills a rejuvenated linebacker core with Scales, Bierria, Neal could play in the box if eventually asked to and Milano moving forward.

I also love:

WR Anthony Miller, Memphis 5’11” 190

Benjamin and Clay are solid weapons for Tyrod along with an aging Mccoy and the improving Zay Jones but the Bills could use a speed threat that can give Tyrod some deep ball tosses that we’ve been missing this year.  Miller with the ball is just a playmaker.  This pick is like a Percy Harvin type pick.  He can be used in a few trick run plays, screens or throwing it down the field.  He could also be the future returner for the Bills.  He could end up rising up into the late first round but if Buffalo were to take him, I think he'd have to make it to the second round as I just see a bigger need at other positions as of now.  His speed, confidence and the sheer competitor in him should make this an easy pick for Buffalo if they decide to go this direction.  

Godwin Igwebuike

He's not the most physically gifted player, but he is a football player first and foremost.  He is the leader of that team as a fifth year senior and plays with a love for the game we all love to see.  I passed on him because I think some team will reach for him and while getting a solid player, we have other pressing needs early in the draft.  Certainly a possibility in my opinion though.  

I passed on a QB in this draft because I believe Tyrod with more talent around him in Benjamin, a few new offensive lineman and a runningback in this draft would provide a boost to his play.  I think solidifying the team around him will be the best option to this team's success moving forward.  If he turns in a down year next year, we can draft a QB and throw him into a better situation than we have right now.  

To go along with this draft class, I would sign DT Star Lotulelei who is familiar with McDermott's system and produced well in it.  Star next to the rookie Hurst and possibly bringing back Kyle at a reduced contract to rotate in with these guys would turn that group around.  I think Adolphus Washington's play down the stretch will dictate whether or not he is on the team next year.  I have hope for him.  

I passed on a DE as well because I think with new DT's both Hughes and Lawson will increase their production.  Eddie Yarbrough and possibly Alexander or maybe another low profile free agent DE could fill out the rotation.  If the group doesn't do well, DE could be a high pick in the 2019 draft that has a lot of talented defensive players projected to be available.

20 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Zay was looking like he was going to have a dominant game against the Jets.  That play he was tripped had reservations for 6, completely beat his man with no safety over top, and the ball was already in the air.  He was going to have over 100 yards receiving and 2 TDs before half! Tyrod trusts him through all his woes early in the season, which is real promising.

I think with the addition of KB, there's no way we keep Matthews at the money he's seeking (probably over 5-6 million +).  He hasn't shown worthy of any price tag that much, could address the WR position in the draft with a pick in round 1-3 and get better production for much cheaper.

With the loss of the 3rd rounder to Carolina, I hope we don't address the RB until the 4th, unless we really like someone in the 3rd.  Too many prominent holes to fill. Boy I wish Karlos Williams didn't eat his way out the league.

I completely agree with you

Edited by Buffalo30

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.