Cookie Gilchrist on the Wall 10/29/2017

boyst

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news!

Respectfully disagree. No other player on the Wall only played 3 seasons, while being kicked off the team. Was he great in those 3 short seasons? Yes. So was Paup. Is he being considered?

He was a selfish player & person. Every team that signed him, quickly tired of his crap and sent him packing.

Poor choice.

Sad Larry Felser didn't live long enough to see this. I think Cookie was his all-time most respected player.

Respectfully disagree. No other player on the Wall only played 3 seasons, while being kicked off the team. Was he great in those 3 short seasons? Yes. So was Paup. Is he being considered?
He was a selfish player & person. Every team that signed him, quickly tired of his crap and sent him packing.

Poor choice.

He is arguably the top 6-8 most talented player in Bills history. Kelly, OJ, Thurman, Bruce, Reed are top 4 in most peoples minds. Then comes Gilchrist, Kemp, Smerlas, Tasker, Hull and a host of others.

From billsbackers

Then came that fateful day of' November 17, 1964 (two clays after Boston had handed the Bills their first setback of the ‘64 season). Lou Saban put Gilchrist on waivers. This meant that any AFL team could claim him for only $ 100. It would have been the best bargain since the fluke that sent Jack Kemp to Buffalo for the same amount.

Saban's reason for Gilchrist's firing: "The club is more important than any single individual player."

During the game, the Bills players themselves got frustrated with Gilchrist.

"If you're not going to help us, take off your uniform and get out of here," yelled one offensive lineman.

Seems that Gilchrist was so hungover that he decided that he would not block opposing blitzers in their attempt to sack the Bills quarterback. When the Patriots realized that they had a free lane to the quarterback, they had a hay day at the expense of QB Jack Kemp. It turned out to be one of the most physical beatings of Kemp's professional life.

Gilchrist had substituted Willie Ross for himself in the November 15th game with Boston. This is not done in football. Only the coach can substitute.

Another reason for the Saban's placing Gilchrist on waivers was that Cookie had used inflammatory statements against Lou Saban, Jack Kemp, and halfback Joe Auer.

The final reason was Cookie's absences from practices on several occasions during the ‘64 season. This was due mostly to difficulties with customs officials at the Peace Bridge connecting Buffalo with Canada when Gilchrist made his frequent trips to and from Canada.

There were many other minor incidents which helped turn the relations between Saban and Gilchrist from bad to worse. Cookie had been seen in a cocktail lounge at 2 AM, 12 hours before the start of the first Boston game in November of ‘64. That was the same game that he was too hung over to play and took himself out of the game.

Gilchrist stated after learning of' his firing, "I was surprised at the timing of the Bills' action, although I had expected it to come at the end of the season."

Jack Kemp persuaded Gilchrist into apologizing to his teammates and Coach Saban. He then apologized on local television. Cookie later said that this had humiliated him.

After the season was over, Gilchrist demanded the bonus that he thought Saban had promised him. When he didn't get the bonus, he told Ralph Wilson,, "I wouldn't play for Lou Saban for $150,000. I'd. rather go elsewhere and play for less money. He went so far as to say, "If I'm forced to stay with the Bills, it will be against my will. I might even retire. I see no reason to play where I won't be happy."

Gilchrist talked about retiring from the game, and said that he would not miss the physical aspect of the game. "That will never be a problem with me," Gilchrist said. "I take the game as a game, in perspective with life. The game is played on Sunday. During the week it doesn't bother me. When I was younger, frustrations would build up. I'd get mad if some guy waited too long at a stoplight, and when I got to the ball park I wanted to take it out on somebody. But I have progressed as a man. I find other ways to take out those feelings. I'm a gourmet. I like to cook. I marinate steaks for two and a half days in a special wine sauce I make myself. I buy most of my wife's clothes. I'm interested in interior decorating. I read books that tell me how to live a better life. I'd rather take my kids horseback riding than watch television, but when I do watch television I prefer programs with strong motivation and good stories that make sense. My favorite TV show is The Fugitive. I can understand that guy. In fact, some of the players in Buffalo call me ‘the fugitive.' But one thing I'm not is a sports fan. I can't see why anybody would pay $6 to see a football game. The only pro football game I ever saw was the Giants and the Redskins in 1960. If a football game comes on TV, I get up and leave. I play the game out of a competitive desire and pride, and I'm a natural for it. But I don't like to watch it if I'm not involved. I think maybe I would have liked to paint, but I've never had the peace of mind to sit and do it."

Cookie finally got his wish to be traded. The Broncos were one of the worst team. In pro football at that time, both talent and attendance-wise. But with Gilchrist teaming up with Abner Haynes, who Denver obtained from. Kansas City in a trade, the Broncos became a much better rushing team the next year. This not only improved the Broncos' team. play, but also drew big crowds to Bear Stadium, something the Broncos had not done since 1962 when they came in second place. From that point on, Denver had sellouts through the rest of the century.

Poor choice.

He was a little before my time, and I respect your opinion...just a little surprised.

He is generally considered one of the greatest backs of his era. I read his book (a great read, though, admittedly not really well written), and it seemed like a lot (not all) of the issues he had during his playing days revolved around social issues (ie: race related), or money...sometimes the two went hand in hand. History is normally kinder to guys like Gilcrhist who played in very difficult times for minorities. It seemed that his career in American football was stalled/hampered by a vindictive Paul Brown.

I suppose, the most divisive Buffalo Bills player while I was growing up was Joe Cribbs. No racial issues involved with him, but money. I think he was one of the greatest players in team history, but most only remember him for holding out, and jumping to the USFL.

To me, Cookie is one of the "all time" players in Bills-lore...I realize his time in Buffalo was short, but he was a big part of the first championship team. The Wall of Fame is just that...not every player on that wall is a Hall of Famer, and some are just honored for their role in team history, as much as for their accomplishments in a Bills uniform.

I can't really give any kind of expert opinion on the AFL teams, but all my life, starting to follow the team in 1972, I remember old timers in Buffalo telling me that OJ wasn't half the player that Cookie was... not sure if that is true, but I assume a man with that aura and legend surrounding him is probably worthy of some sort of recognition from the franchise.

Poor choice.

I don't think Bob Kalsu played 3 years.

Edgerson on Cookie Gilchrist: "It's About Time" (17:43)
Former Bills defensive back Booker Edgerson joined the John Murphy Show to discuss the news that his former teammate, Bills running back Cookie Gilchrist, will be joining the Bills Wall of Fame. He gave his favorite memories of Cookie, as well as why he felt Cookie was deserving of this honor.

Chandler has a point, and the things he listed are the main reasons it took so long to be put in the Wall. He and Ralph had grown closer towards the end of each persons life. But as one who saw him play, he deserves it even if he only played three years. To me he is the best overall player ever to put on a Bills uniform, maybe the best ever. A dominant RB and blocker, placekicker, and would have been a stellar LB.

I like it because the dude was so dominate and his teammates obviously think he was deserving.

...think it is good to see the Pegulas do not bury the past and are willing to honor those previously not for whatever reason(s)......classy...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy