What I haven't seen yet

Buffalo716

The only thing that is keeping me calm about the Bills lack of offense is that I can obviously see that we are playing very vanilla.

We are literally playing to TT weaknesses... like the 3 step stick pattern... and we aren't using any of his strengths

Which makes me think that maybe it is still glorified practice to the coaches. They just want to work out the worst chinks in his armor

The first three pictures are of classic west coast play action rollouts and bootlegs. These are staples of the mobile west coast offense and we have employed none of these concepts. The third is specifically a curl , flat combination not necessarily PA

The last 2 pictures are also staples of the WCO. They show the classic smash concepts. You can run it on a 3-5 step drop or on a rollout to maximize TTs ability. TT excels at throwing on the run and to the sideline so this route combination can be a big chain mover for us.

We also haven't employed this concept much at all in the first two games so I suspect our offense of being heavily dialed back. Hoping for the best!

post-26717-0-14651100-1503173910_thumb.jpg

post-26717-0-26063400-1503173935_thumb.gif

post-26717-0-35199400-1503173951_thumb.jpg

post-26717-0-63144500-1503174539_thumb.gif

post-26717-0-75305700-1503174561_thumb.png

Edited by Buffalo716

I believe they are using the preseason to work on stuff that he needs work on. And clearly he still needs it. But they are not going to put the roll outs and bootlegs on film. This is practice time. Maybe next week we see a little more given he is going to play 3 quarters.

I believe they are using the preseason to work on stuff that he needs work on. And clearly he still needs it. But they are not going to put the roll outs and bootlegs on film. This is practice time. Maybe next week we see a little more given he is going to play 3 quarters.

Apparently this needs to be said every year about this time, so thanks Yolo, now we can cut and paste your response.

You wait 7 months to watch nfl football again and 2 vanilla pre season games makes you over think everything.

I'm with you 100%. I don't even know if we'll see any advanced concepts in the preseason

You wait 7 months to watch nfl football again and 2 vanilla pre season games makes you over think everything.

I'm with you 100%. I don't even know if we'll see any advanced concepts in the preseason

And we shouldn't. It would be a waste.

I would have been OK with sticking to last year's offense. You know, the one that scored lots of points. Why can't we ever have offense AND defense at the same time???

Your words cut so deep because they ring true.

It seems we always flip flop between great D no offense. Good offense and no defense.

It is frustrating

Your words cut so deep because they ring true.

It seems we always flip flop between great D no offense. Good offense and no defense.

It is frustrating

It is, but I'm reserving judgement until we see the real offense and defense out there.

I'm not worried about TT at all. I know what his limitations already are and I'm well aware of his strengths.

1. His ability to get to the line quickly and assess the D is leagues ahead of where he was last year.

2. His effort to anticipate throws is encouraging SO FAR.

3. His patience in the pocket with an awful Oline is encouraging, however I know damn well that week 1 he'll revert back to read, scramble...as opposed to read, read, scramble.

4. He needs to get some chemistry with Q, Zay & JM real soon or my optimism will fade.

5. Would like to see him audible out of plays more but not sure they want him to.

Edited by r00tabaga

The only thing that is keeping me calm about the Bills lack of offense is that I can obviously see that we are playing very vanilla.

We are literally playing to TT weaknesses... like the 3 step stick pattern... and we aren't using any of his strengths

Which makes me think that maybe it is still glorified practice to the coaches. They just want to work out the worst chinks in his armor

The first three pictures are of classic west coast play action rollouts and bootlegs. These are staples of the mobile west coast offense and we have employed none of these concepts. The third is specifically a curl , flat combination not necessarily PA

The last 2 pictures are also staples of the WCO. They show the classic smash concepts. You can run it on a 3-5 step drop or on a rollout to maximize TTs ability. TT excels at throwing on the run and to the sideline so this route combination can be a big chain mover for us.

We also haven't employed this concept much at all in the first two games so I suspect our offense of being heavily dialed back. Hoping for the best!

...when has the pre-season been anything more than vanilla?......no value in showing your cards now unless you're Wrecks Ryan and his "we'll be a run first offense"......the azzclown's proclamation with ONE stallion in the stable ala Shady............31 DC's were caught TOTALLY off guard (COUGH...no CHOKE is better)..............

...when has the pre-season been anything more than vanilla?......no value in showing your cards now unless you're Wrecks Ryan and his "we'll be a run first offense"......the azzclown's proclamation with ONE stallion in the stable ala Shady............31 DC's were caught TOTALLY off guard (COUGH...no CHOKE is better)..............

I totally agree.

I think it took me back because I re watched the Vikings game and they were using advanced red zone concepts and I was like huh? Week 1 already

Sounds about right. Hes playing 3 quarters??

It is, but I'm reserving judgement until we see the real offense and defense out there.

The "real" offense, ie, first team, has been out there early in games, and it has sucked. All this chatter about "playing vanilla" and working "on stuff they need to work on" is a lot of whistling past the graveyard. Other teams' first team offenses manage to produce drives and score TDs in the first two preseason games, but the Bills can barely get two first downs in a row. Every third or fourth play, they get caught holding. The only Bills offensive starters who seem to have played well have been Shady and Sammy, who is now in LA.

When the starters on any unit consistently play poor in preseason, it's a sure signal that that unit is going to struggle in the regular season. It's likely the Bills are going to have to depend on the defense to not only stop opponents' offenses but to do much of the scoring as well.

I actually thought in the 1st pre season game, Tyrod was getting the ball out really quick. Granted, it was to Sammy and they took that weapon away. I agree with the op though that the bills are not playing the offense they're gonna play in the regular season. I was actually hoping someone would ask McDermott in his press conference if they opened up the play book a little more for the 2nd and 3rd string as opposed to the 1st string

The "real" offense, ie, first team, has been out there early in games, and it has sucked. All this chatter about "playing vanilla" and working "on stuff they need to work on" is a lot of whistling past the graveyard. Other teams' first team offenses manage to produce drives and score TDs in the first two preseason games, but the Bills can barely get two first downs in a row. Every third or fourth play, they get caught holding. The only Bills offensive starters who seem to have played well have been Shady and Sammy, who is now in LA.

When the starters on any unit consistently play poor in preseason, it's a sure signal that that unit is going to struggle in the regular season. It's likely the Bills are going to have to depend on the defense to not only stop opponents' offenses but to do much of the scoring as well.

The starters are not running the "real offense" because it's stupid to show your real offense in preseason so everyone gets film on you. Is that not obvious?

I think you nailed it Yo :thumbsup: (staying in the pocket)

Edited by Figster