Tyrod Taylor Film Session vs. Eagles

cover1

The 2nd preseason game against the Eagles was not a fun one to watch. Specifically, the starting offense. They were downright horrendous. Besides a couple runs that were ripped off, they struggled. Taylor struggled with accuracy, the offensive line couldn't pass block and it just seemed like they were never in rhythm. So we figured we would turn on the film and try to ease some of your anxiety about the QB position. I know a lot of you are calling for Peterman to play. I was high on Peterman coming out of college and I don't think that time has reached us. I also think that what we have seen from the offense is even remotely close to the offense we will see week one. Just watch us break down every throw from the game vs. the Eagles. You will see several of the same run and pass concepts, thats what vanilla offense is.

Give it a look and let us know what you think.

Trouble viewing? Open in Youtube.

Please subscribe to our podcast Locked On Bills and leave a review, thanks for all of your support!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/8-18-17-tyrod-taylor-film-room-session/id1145479962?i=1000391221961&mt=2

Edited by cover1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gives a great perspective of Tyrod's night and how ....yes, he made at least 3-4 mistakes overall but to see that o-line disintegrate from all the Schwartz blitzes was disheartening to say the least... point being it wasn't all on Tyrod. Little more gameplanning for Baltimore and I think some improvement will emerge.. Ty's the starter one way or another, great work Erik and crew

gives a great perspective of Tyrod's night and how ....yes, he made at least 3-4 mistakes overall but to see that o-line disintegrate from all the Schwartz blitzes was disheartening to say the least... point being it wasn't all on Tyrod. Little more gameplanning for Baltimore and I think some improvement will emerge.. Ty's the starter one way or another, great work Erik and crew

ha gimme a break.

This is a really good breakdown, thanks. If I could make one suggestion I would say cut the length down a bit. No disrespect intended, I just can't ever see myself watching over an hour of this. I fast forwarded though a lot.

You can see from this video that we were trying weird things for preseason. I don't think this is what our starting offense will look like on opening day. Also Shady is awful at pass protection, I've never paid attention before but damn.

This is a really good breakdown, thanks. If I could make one suggestion I would say cut the length down a bit. No disrespect intended, I just can't ever see myself watching over an hour of this. I fast forwarded though a lot.

You can see from this video that we were trying weird things for preseason. I don't think this is what our starting offense will look like on opening day. Also Shady is awful at pass protection, I've never paid attention before but damn.

Shady was decent in pass pro last year, maybe it's a preseason thing. I'm also under the impression that they will cater the offense to Taylor once the real bullets are

flying. This is part of trying to "teach" Taylor to trust his reads and make throws he normally wouldn't, he might have more INT's in the preseason than he does the regular season.

I don't even think about the Tyrod stuff anymore. He's the only NFL Caliber player at that position. He could go 1-20 with 3 picks and still not get pulled imo, thats how bad the rest of the position is. The focus is more so getting timing down with all these brand new receivers, which isn't easy. Then again, thats why we call it PREseason. We are running basic running plays, not schemed, and just evaluating positionally. If you know preseason, you know the 3rd preseason game is the only game of the preseason that there will be scouting reports on then opposing teams. The 3rd game is where you see the closest to game action during the 1st half. Im interested in the battle for Holmes to get a spot, or if somebody else can step up.

If Tyrod continues to look this bad & still starts, I will loose a lot of respect for the coaching staff. Start the best at each position.

Go Bills!!!!!

Peterman hasn't exactly lit it up against 2's and 3's. So who are you saying is the best at the QB position? The thing in Peterman's favor is that he is a rookie. Sometimes the saying, if the battle for the position is close then give it to the rookie is true. Sometimes it's not.

Also, consider that the last pre-season game we just saw from Taylor was probably the worst we've seen ever outside of maybe the fourth quarter of the Oakland game last year. Basically even with that terrible film, there is a good chance that was an anomaly. Preseason game #3 will be interesting but at this point I think Peterman has to look a whole lot better to take the job from Taylor no matter how bad Taylor looks in the next game. Now if Taylor's first two games to start the season are very similar to his first two games to start the season last year then I think we have a legitimate argument to make that Peterman should get a look.

I don't even think about the Tyrod stuff anymore. He's the only NFL Caliber player at that position. He could go 1-20 with 3 picks and still not get pulled imo, thats how bad the rest of the position is. The focus is more so getting timing down with all these brand new receivers, which isn't easy. Then again, thats why we call it PREseason. We are running basic running plays, not schemed, and just evaluating positionally. If you know preseason, you know the 3rd preseason game is the only game of the preseason that there will be scouting reports on then opposing teams. The 3rd game is where you see the closest to game action during the 1st half. Im interested in the battle for Holmes to get a spot, or if somebody else can step up.

The 3rd game doesn't even mean much. Remember Tampa came in a few years ago and beat us up 24-0 in the 1st half. Tampa had the worst record in the NFL that year.

Shady was decent in pass pro last year, maybe it's a preseason thing. I'm also under the impression that they will cater the offense to Taylor once the real bullets are

flying. This is part of trying to "teach" Taylor to trust his reads and make throws he normally wouldn't, he might have more INT's in the preseason than he does the regular season.

Fwiw Shady has always been a terrible pass pro back.......and just as bad at short yardage........not his things.

But what you are seeing is that teams will attack Tyrod if they think he is going to stay there......and hope to disrupt the timing of the run game in the process.

The Bills OL is not naturally effective at pass blocking......hasn't been for years......expecting them to be better is wishful at best.

Without Sammy there I really don't know what Dennison can do about it.........play action doesn't work if there is someone in your face the minute you get your head around........and defenses aren't going to back off for fear of giving up an underneath completion to one of the Bills bevy of possession receivers.

In Lynn's offense he could just put Tyrod in shotgun all day and run-pass-option and make defenses play coverage long enough to open up some wide open throws.

I expect they will have to hybrid it up and scrap some of the things to make it work........they were already doing some shotgun the other night.......which runs contrary to the whole "QB footwork as the basis for timing in the offense".

The 3rd game doesn't even mean much. Remember Tampa came in a few years ago and beat us up 24-0 in the 1st half. Tampa had the worst record in the NFL that year.

I can honestly say I don't remember that game at all, but what year was that? I guess it does depend on the current coaching staff, with McDermott not having a history to base what he'll do off of. But I imagine Tyrod will play the entire first half in this upcoming preseason game.

Another Tyrod or die idea smh. They could have saved the $10 million given to him and gave to a player whos actually pretty good at what his position requires. For Tyrod that means throwing the ball. He isnt very good at that. Keeping Gilmore or Watkins would have been a much better idea. Trevor simien for the Broncos came in and did an admirable job being a 7th rd draft pick andd making all of $455k for the year. You act like this team is a good Tyrod away from winning and in all actuality this team is a VERY VERY VERY VERY long ways a way from putting a quality product on the field. We now have a bunch of #3 wideouts with no clear #1. Back to the drawing board in that regards. The OLINE is apparently in shambles. Depth along the front 7 on defense is quite thin. Its gonna be a long year. Enjoy going down with Tyrod

If Tyrod continues to look this bad & still starts, I will loose a lot of respect for the coaching staff. Start the best at each position.

Go Bills!!!!!

I agree the best should start. That is why I was upset when the staff hated on Cardale which at least has an upside in year 2. For a washed out Yates, a rook and a TT of 7 years in the league who has started two years in a row to look this bad. Most of the time that there is a starting QB that looks this bad they do not end the season as a starter. But with this staff who knows.

Darby had a great game.

It will probably be his last.

Should the Bills or Eagles be more upset? Their franchise QB looked bad vs an average at best defense.

Tyrod will be the same Tyrod we have seen the last 2 years.

LOL. Not even close.

If you want to evaluate Tyrod's play, focus on what Tyrod did. The autonomous stuff that he had control over.

Don't confuse the variable we are trying to solve by focusing on others.

If Tyrod looked bad on a specific play directly b/c of someone else's failure, throw that play out.

Focus on what Tyrod can control.

When you do that, you will see that he was horrible in that game.

He can hit 5 to 8 yard passes in the flat to wide open receivers at a standstill.

He runs well.

That is the extent, for the most part, of his skill set.