Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Final Day

So now that camp breaks where do all the players stay?

I know most of the regulars have homes here but what about those 40 or so fringe guys?

You offering up your place?

If Rex can coach Buffalo to a .500 record, I believe McD, even in his first year, can do as good or better. That's just my opinion of course.

I second that.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beaner just traded a Ferrari for a Volkswagen because he didn't want to have to refill the tank in the Ferrari after he drove it a while.

You also have to figure in that you need to use premium gas in the Ferrari, which costs more, vs the regular you can use in the Volkswagen, unless it's a diesel.

I have a hard time getting past that logic. Unless there is undisclosed negative knowledge about Sammy, the trade makes no sense.

Well, I remember somebody posting on here during the layoff after the minicamp that Sammy was spotted playing basketball at a health club. Then he reports to training camp and can't practice?

pay TT 10+mil and start Nathan?

I think you might better hope TT sucks or bad or gets injured for him to start. I hope you do not honestly think either of those things.

Have to say, your avatar elicits so many simultaneous emotions

:lol::rolleyes::huh::unsure::sick::bag::wallbash::death:

@viccarucci

My #Bills camp superlatives: McCoy, Peterman & Yarbrough sparkle

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/16/vic-caruccis-bills-camp-superlatives-mccoy-peterman-yarbrough-sparkle/

Here are my superlatives from the Buffalo Bills' training camp, which broke Tuesday at St. John Fisher College:

It was only 13 practices, most of which were low intensity, so I hesitate to draw much in the way of hard conclusions. But my eyes told me these were the best performers at their respective positions during that stretch:

*Wide receiver: Sammy Watkins. Yes, I know he's no longer on the team, but he participated in most of the camp practices before the Bills traded him to the Los Angeles Rams last Friday. And he was easily better than any receiver on the roster through most of those workouts (newcomers Anquan Boldin and Jordan Matthews either didn't practice with him much or at all, so they aren't being factored into this assessment). Having finally recovered from the foot surgery he underwent in January, Watkins ran well and used his athleticism to the fullest to gain separation and make plays. He repeatedly out-jumped defenders for difficult catches of throws that were over his head. The Bills are going to miss the guy who showed up for camp.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

*Wide receiver: Sammy Watkins. Yes, I know he's no longer on the team, but he participated in most of the camp practices before the Bills traded him to the Los Angeles Rams last Friday. And he was easily better than any receiver on the roster through most of those workouts (newcomers Anquan Boldin and Jordan Matthews either didn't practice with him much or at all, so they aren't being factored into this assessment). Having finally recovered from the foot surgery he underwent in January, Watkins ran well and used his athleticism to the fullest to gain separation and make plays. He repeatedly out-jumped defenders for difficult catches of throws that were over his head. The Bills are going to miss the guy who showed up for camp.

Imagine how bad this is going to look on Beane if the Bills can't move the ball well this year passing. Or if this offense lacks the deep passing plays. Even if it is not primarily because of that move, it sure isn't going to reflect well on that decision. He will get a big chunk of the blame for it. Pretty ballsy move for a new GM if you ask me.

Imagine how bad this is going to look on Beane if the Bills can't move the ball well this year passing. Or if this offense lacks the deep passing plays. Even if it is not primarily because of that move, it sure isn't going to reflect well on that decision. He will get a big chunk of the blame for it. Pretty ballsy move for a new GM if you ask me.

I don't doubt that there will be a stark difference in deep passing plays from when Sammy was here; Dennison himself discussed how he prefers a more lateral passing game.

I don't doubt that there will be a stark difference in deep passing plays from when Sammy was here; Dennison himself discussed how he prefers a more lateral passing game.

I think much of the deep passing game will be TEs down the middle.

No reason to believe Sammy would not have excelled at that as well. They were actually getting him involved in the screen game at SJF.

I think that in addition to some long balls to the wrs. I dont buy that Sammy played so much faster than any of the other wrs with similiar 40s.

Dennison stated that his offense one of the keys to winning is 4 large plays a game. In order for you to complete 4 you have to take 8 shots.

If they take those deep plays out of the game plan, I would bet this team starts looking bad on offense. And without threatening defenses deep, you would have to assume the running game would suffer from it immensely.

I am not a big fan of strategies that involve teams needing to execute 12+ plays correctly to score a touchdown. If Dennison is that kind of guy, I will hate him. I don't think it is reasonable to expect an offense to execute that many plays properly in every drive in order to get 6.

At 61″, 211-pounds, Watkins ran a 4.43 40-yard dash (85th percentile) posting a 109.6 speed score (89th percentile), per playerprofiler.com.

At 63″, 212-pounds, Matthews ran a 4.46 40-yard dash (76th percentile) posting a 110.1 speed score (90th percentile), per playerprofiler.com.

J-Matt recorded a higher agility score and a much higher catch radius (10.19 vs. 9.97) than Watkins, while the two receivers have nearly identical burst scores. J-Matt also has a 123.3 Nike SPARQ-x score (combination of speed, power, agility, reaction, and quickness) which is in the elite 91st percentile.

Watkins SPARQ-x score is 109.3, in the 61st percentile.

So to recap, J-Matt has achieved better production in the NFL over the past three seasons, stayed healthier, and is more athletic than Watkins.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/08/14/mccoy-wrong-watkins-matthews/

Denver was 22nd in 2015 and 23rd in 2016 in 'big plays'. Bills were #1 both years. Just for context.

At 61″, 211-pounds, Watkins ran a 4.43 40-yard dash (85th percentile) posting a 109.6 speed score (89th percentile), per playerprofiler.com.

At 63″, 212-pounds, Matthews ran a 4.46 40-yard dash (76th percentile) posting a 110.1 speed score (90th percentile), per playerprofiler.com.

J-Matt recorded a higher agility score and a much higher catch radius (10.19 vs. 9.97) than Watkins, while the two receivers have nearly identical burst scores. J-Matt also has a 123.3 Nike SPARQ-x score (combination of speed, power, agility, reaction, and quickness) which is in the elite 91st percentile.

Watkins SPARQ-x score is 109.3, in the 61st percentile.

So to recap, J-Matt has achieved better production in the NFL over the past three seasons, stayed healthier, and is more athletic than Watkins.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/08/14/mccoy-wrong-watkins-matthews/

And yet...

- Matthews has had only 1 season during which he was more productive than Sammy, and that would be the season during which he played 6 more games

- Matthews has never averaged more than 13.0 yards per reception in any year of his career, whereas Sammy has averaged over 15.0 in every year of his career

- Matthews leads Watkins by slightly more than 200 yards receiving and 2 TDs--total--over 3 years. This is despite playing in 9 more games and receiving 74 more targets

SPARQ ratings and speed scores can say whatever they like; straight-line speed whilst wearing underwear and running against air don't predict explosiveness on the field.

Sammy has easily out-paced Matthews in terms of big play ability and production on a per-target basis.

Denver was 22nd in 2015 and 23rd in 2016 in 'big plays'. Bills were #1 both years. Just for context.

Thanks...confirms what we're discussing here.

And yet...

- Matthews has had only 1 season during which he was more productive than Sammy, and that would be the season during which he played 6 more games

- Matthews has never averaged more than 13.0 yards per reception in any year of his career, whereas Sammy has averaged over 15.0 in every year of his career

- Matthews leads Watkins by slightly more than 200 yards receiving and 2 TDs--total--over 3 years. This is despite playing in 9 more games and receiving 74 more targets

SPARQ ratings and speed scores can say whatever they like; straight-line speed whilst wearing underwear and running against air don't predict explosiveness on the field.

Sammy has easily out-paced Matthews in terms of big play ability and production on a per-target basis.

Thanks...confirms what we're discussing here.

Mathews has easily out-paced Watkins in availabilty and production on a per season basis in his career. Every year.

None of Sammys stats matter when he is sitting on the trainers table or mising 8 games. Or out on the field only producing 147 yards though the first 7 games if the NFL season. Hes oft injured and unreliable to build an offense around as the go to guy currently.

Edited by Bill_with_it

Mathes has easily out-paced Watkins in availabilty and production on a per season basis in his career. Every year.

I know you aren't actually being serious, but nevertheless, for those that care, I'll repeat:

Mathews has easily out-paced Watkins in availabilty and production on a per season basis in his career. Every year.

None of Sammys stats matter when he is sitting on the trainers table or mising 8 games. Or out on the field only producing 147 yards though the first 7 games if the NFL season. Hes oft injured and unreliable to build an offense around as the go to guy currently.

Right?

Those who like the trade are at least willing to say that Watkins has more natural talent, but those who oppose it seem unable to grasp the importance of availability and it's impact on production.

Back to the issue though, there's no way any of Matthews, Jones, or Streater can run a fly against an NFL corner...