BIG PICTURE for 2018

Two 1st round picks, Two 2nd picks, Two 3rd round picks, Free agents Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines freeing up cap space.

So Cousins or Garoppolo?

We may have a couple more 3rd Rounders via Comp picks.. 8 picks in the first 3 rounds?? Figure those cuts to be made. Now, which '18 QB is a 'Franchise' player?

With our luck the '17 draft classs ends up being better then the '18 draft class.

Dude, if you think the only impediment to the Bills actually drafting a competent NFL QB in 2018 is the competition, you are living in Fantasy Land. The 2002, 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2013 drafts didn't produce a top QB, and the verdicts are still out on 2014-2017. Furthermore, in most drafts, there's at best, only 1 quality QB ... and not all of them were Top 3 or Top 5 picks. The only two drafts that have produced multiple HOF/likely HOF QBs since the merger were 1983 and 2004, which means there's a whole lot of both astute evaluation and luck involved in selecting the right collegiate QB to draft.

Perfectly said. Everyone right now is talking up the '18 QB Draft Class. But let's check the date. August 12, 2017. Come next February the # of good prospects could go from 4 or 5 to 1 or even 0. And even then they are still only prospects. This whole thing has been a huge crapshoot over the last several years. Carr, Dak, Wilson three of the better QBs in the league currently all drafted 2nd round or later. You still have front offices taking major swings and misses at guys like Goff. Who's to say the Bills won't do the same in '18?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills will really have to bottom out and make sure that they lose both games to the Jets if they want a good QB prospect next year.

Do you think that this is beyond the realm of possibility? I hope they win 16 games but 4 seems to be more likely. They have no deep threat so teams will be able to gang up on the run. Tyrod's mobility will help, unless he gets demolished.

One thing is certain, it's not looking good.

Do you think that this is beyond the realm of possibility? I hope they win 16 games but 4 seems to be more likely. They have no deep threat so teams will be able to gang up on the run. Tyrod's mobility will help, unless he gets demolished.

One thing is certain, it's not looking good.

I agree, but 6-10 won't be quite bad enough to be in good draft position. I don't think that Taylor is a good long term option at QB, but he can probably scramble his way to a couple wins that they should not get.

Got to make the Jets a bit nervous as they see the stock pile of picks we have that could allow us to jump over them. As has been pointed out, other teams above may not trade, but having the ammo still helps alot and the Jets don't have it. Unless the Bills do much better than some are thinking and they pick much lower, its not often a team could trade up to maybe the #2 overall pick and still have a couple of top three round picks left for other players.

I agree, but 6-10 won't be quite bad enough to be in good draft position. I don't think that Taylor is a good long term option at QB, but he can probably scramble his way to a couple wins that they should not get.

You are probably right.

I think that the bottom can easily fall out if we lose Shady and a blocker or 2, let alone Tyrod. It hurts to have to think like this.

And if ya think these trades were painful, what happens if they blow the draft next year? They will have EVERY opportunity to make this a strong, solid team in 2018, to include all of these great picks and I think a ton of cap space.

Edited by Bill from NYC

We did what the Jets are trying to do without going full tank mode.

Yes the Bills have the option of moving up in the draft to get a qb OR they can make moves and acquire talent + picks for 2019 draft. The Pats did this very well for years and the Browns really improved on that system..... the Pats used to do a great job drafting, very hit and miss lately and the Browns are a wait and see how it all plays out but even with how bad their QB's are, I don't see them sucking this year.

You are probably right.

I think that the bottom can easily fall out if we lose Shady and a blocker or 2, let alone Tyrod. It hurts to have to think like this.

And if ya think these trades were painful, what happens if they blow the draft next year? They will have EVERY opportunity to make this a strong, solid team in 2018, to include all of these great picks and I think a ton of cap space.

For sure, they are an injury at S, CB or LB from having a dreadful defense. If they lose a player at both S and CB, the air raid sirens will be sounding every Sunday.

they are trading up for a QB. they are collecting the needed ammo. now hopefully they might the right choice

If there's a qb worth trading up for, what team in the bottom five is going to pass that up and hand him to the Bills? There's no logic to this idea that everyone is believing in. Franchise qbs are extremely scarce.

We may have a couple more 3rd Rounders via Comp picks.. 8 picks in the first 3 rounds?? Figure those cuts to be made. Now, which '18 QB is a 'Franchise' player?

Who knows but man will this year be exciting both for college ball and nfl....watching the bills, the chiefs and all the qb prospects....get yo popcorn ready

Here's the scary scenario, Taylor goes down against the jests, Peterman has jumped over yates, has rookie troubles and we lose the next six but shows promise each week. Then the light comes on and we end up 6-10 with one of the wns against the patsies with marsha at the helm in a shootout. Are we still looking for a QB?

Here's the scary scenario, Taylor goes down against the jests, Peterman has jumped over yates, has rookie troubles and we lose the next six but shows promise each week. Then the light comes on and we end up 6-10 with one of the wns against the patsies with marsha at the helm in a shootout. Are we still looking for a QB?

No...we use our assets to rebuild the team and fill holes with young talent...or we trade down and stockpile assists for the following draft in case peterman poops his pants the following season

If there's a qb worth trading up for, what team in the bottom five is going to pass that up and hand him to the Bills? There's no logic to this idea that everyone is believing in. Franchise qbs are extremely scarce.

Cleveland, Chicago, San Fran

Edited by kdiggz

The Bills seem to be setting themselves up to go after a QB in the draft almost without regard to their record. While it seems unlikely that the Bills will break out of their perennial mediocrity this year and go anything above 8-8, they will be able to package picks together to move down in the draft if they somehow do so.

If reality strikes and they finish sub 8-8 they may not need to do too much packaging to get a QB.

The front office is making the right moves. They are even doing so without necessarily tanking the season totally.

I agree...this was a great move by the leadership. Unless the Bills were willing to unload some of the baggage from the previous regime, they can't move forward. It was a mistake to trade up for Sammy and we never got the production out of him that we should have...why keep him around because of emotional attachment. We are well stocked with draft picks to build the foundation for a "Patriots' like run of superiority in the AFC East...we just need a few good picks and some stability in the front office.

With two first-round picks, two second-round picks, two third-round picks, and a fourth, fifth and seventh. We have nine draft picks, six of them in the first three rounds.

That's a nice supply of currency. so who do we draft, and who can we strike a nice deal with?

Also the comp picks were getting when Beane releases a few on the roster.

Define what it means for Peterman to have the light come on?

Edited by Bangarang