QB Footwork and Boldin Discussion

cover1

On this weeks podcast we discuss the signing of Boldin and how it will help the passing game. Specifically on third downs and in the middle of the field.

Then we discuss Dennison's comments about anticipatory throws and Tyrod's footwork in the west coast offense with diagrams.

Edited by cover1

Who was the moron (I think it was Chris Brown) who during Tyrod's presser yesterday said "talking about combining timing with footwork is a kind of novel way to think about it for some of us"???? It is and always was the very basis of Bill Walsh's WCO.

Seriously, how do you cover the NFL for years and not know that? Dennison's roots through Kubiak and Shanhan are to the WCO that was being run in San Fran.

Edited by GunnerBill

Who was the moron (I think it was Chris Brown) who during Tyrod's presser yesterday said "talking about combining timing with footwork is a kind of novel way to think about it for some of us"???? It is and always was the very basis of Bill Walsh's WCO.

Seriously, how do you cover the NFL for years and not know that? Dennison's roots through Kubiak and Shanhan are to the WCO that was being run in San Fran.

I mean, I do think the specifics about it is a novelty to the average fan. Most people don't understand the mechanics that goes into a timing pass, concept or play design. It is very methodical and I am sure most fans just think its just a QB dropping back and throwing it, when actually the depth of the drop 3-5-7 actually matches the depth of the route AND the progression of receivers.

I mean, I do think the specifics about it is a novelty to the average fan. Most people don't understand the mechanics that goes into a timing pass, concept or play design. It is very methodical and I am sure most fans just think its just a QB dropping back and throwing it, when actually the depth of the drop 3-5-7 actually matches the depth of the route AND the progression of receivers.

Really you think there are fans who are oblivious to that? Wow. Maybe I am just a geek but I can't enjoy watching a game unless I really get into the technical and tactical aspects of how it is played.

I will listen to your podcast this afternoon while I am at work...... really enjoyed last weeks.

I can't stand the Chris Brown questions at press conferences/interviews, and Vic Carucci has now fallen into the same trap. The questions are meandering, cover about three or four topics, and the by the time they are done "asking" the question they've already implied the answer they want to hear. It's horrible to listen to.

And no, I'm not surprised at all that beat reporters have no real idea of what's going on. In fact, I think it's the norm.

Really you think there are fans who are oblivious to that? Wow. Maybe I am just a geek but I can't enjoy watching a game unless I really get into the technical and tactical aspects of how it is played.

I will listen to your podcast this afternoon while I am at work...... really enjoyed last weeks.

I do Gunner, most people aren't into the technical aspects of the game. Thanks for the support!

The challenges of timing and footwork were more EJ's problem than they are Tyrod's. EJs mechanics were horrible. He always looked like he was aiming darts, not throwing a football.

Tyrod's problem is mental. When he first became a starter the Coaches told him to avoid throwing picks at all costs...and so he did. Now that he has gained more experience as a starter, he needs to learn to trust his instincts and throw the receiver open.

My Two Cents

Your last sentence isn't entirely true.

Shannahan roots aren't through walshs WCO

They are not apart of each others coaching trees in any way and Walsh had a very pure WCO. Shannahan and all his disciples favor a more MOBILE WCO where the QB can waggle out of the pocket

Shannahan LOVED mobile QBs

Elway- extremely mobile

Jake Plummer- extremely mobile

Brian griese- good mobility

Jay Cutler- very mobile

Redskins he brought over mcnabb- very mobile

Drafted RGIII- very mobile

They do employ similar concepts but shannahan did not build his offense on walshs. They both employ WCO concepts but Shannahan is heavy on the zone run and bootleg and shotgun neither of which Walsh was big on

The bottom line is if Tyrod doesn't figure out the footwork and timing then he's not running the play as called. If he reverts back to holding onto the ball for 5 seconds and then running around and scrambling then he's going to be out of a job pretty quickly. It's very much set in stone, there's no ambiguity in this offense. This is how the play is run. There's no guesswork or improvising. 1, 2, 3, throw

The bottom line is if Tyrod doesn't figure out the footwork and timing then he's not running the play as called. If he reverts back to holding onto the ball for 5 seconds and then running around and scrambling then he's going to be out of a job pretty quickly. It's very much set in stone, there's no ambiguity in this offense. This is how the play is run. There's no guesswork or improvising. 1, 2, 3, throw

This is the biggest question...

Can TT play IN RHYTHM

Edited by Buffalo716

I think they were discussing something a little different than the common footwork and timing of passes goes. They were talking about how your feet were the inner clock and not your eyes or your head. And the placement of your feet was the trigger to throw, not seeing the break or the receiver or the anticipation of where the receiver would be. Like trust your feet not your head.

This is the biggest question...

Can TT play IN RYTHM

It's either going to add much needed structure to what he needs to do, which will help fix his biggest issue (holding on to the ball and not anticipating the receiver breaking open), or he simply won't be able to do it and they will have to get someone in there that can. Watching TT's highlights he does best when he's scrambling and improvising so he might not be a fit for what they want to do. He likes making the big play, he might not be ok with taking the quick 3 yard play. Our coach in high school said just get 3 yards every play. If you get 3 yards then that's a success. Big plays are fun to watch in highlights on ESPN but it doesn't get you the W consistently.

I can't stand the Chris Brown questions at press conferences/interviews, and Vic Carucci has now fallen into the same trap. The questions are meandering, cover about three or four topics, and the by the time they are done "asking" the question they've already implied the answer they want to hear. It's horrible to listen to.

And no, I'm not surprised at all that beat reporters have no real idea of what's going on. In fact, I think it's the norm.

I hate his questions, too. It's as though he wants to show off what an insider he is. They're stupid.

It IS the norm - the writers don't know football. For that matter, the great majority of fans don't, either. With a very few exceptions, we don't understand the details of what the players are taught to do. The details are boring to most people, and writers and announcers that dig into the details don't last long, because the fans don't read or listen to that stuff for very long.

The challenges of timing and footwork were more EJ's problem than they are Tyrod's. EJs mechanics were horrible. He always looked like he was aiming darts, not throwing a football.

Tyrod's problem is mental. When he first became a starter the Coaches told him to avoid throwing picks at all costs...and so he did. Now that he has gained more experience as a starter, he needs to learn to trust his instincts and throw the receiver open.

My Two Cents

I somewhat agree, Tyrod looks totally different when sammy is on the field, he obviously trust him and let's it rip. He just needs to do that with everyone.

I hate his questions, too. It's as though he wants to show off what an insider he is. They're stupid.

It IS the norm - the writers don't know football. For that matter, the great majority of fans don't, either. With a very few exceptions, we don't understand the details of what the players are taught to do. The details are boring to most people, and writers and announcers that dig into the details don't last long, because the fans don't read or listen to that stuff for very long.

I agree with you to a point, I have no clue what is happening in football, but I find learning how and why extremely interesting and I think the growing success of Cover1 shows I am right.

The future is in the data, granularity and nuance. People who love that, they will be driving advertising revenue, both within those organizations through their roles, and through their wallets, because that is the future and where the money is.

People are sick of manufactured news and pre-written cliche story lines (see espn).

I don't believe that espn is struggling due to people being able to access highlights instantly...I am not going to 10 different websites to watch a 30 second highlights. They are a compiler of different sources (like the tbd main page is), amd that will always be valuable. ESPN is struggling because they create fake, sensationalized stories that they talk about non-stop, and it got old, and they deliver those stories through fluff straw man manufactured outrage takes. This goes against what cord cutters want (I cut the cord in 2012, and the thought of having to pay espn for the level of quality of 85% of their non-live sport broadcasts is more than enough motivation to keep me away from cable for good).

LeBetard show got where it was by being different, so will Cover1.

People are sick of hot takes, we want nuance, and excellence in our niche, and that niche is large. Cover1 delivers that, and am really pumped to see them growing and gaining traction!