Horrible fan's worst case scenarios

I did one of these last year where I correctly called the Arizona win and the Cincy win two of our more surprise wins for the year. The post is here https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/188068-2016-game-picks-go-on-the-record/page-2 for those who don't believe me. I called 12 of the 16 games right (not scoreline but outcome). The ones I got wrong were New England on the road where I had an L and the Jets at home and both Dolphins games where I had Ws and we ended up at 9-7. Some of the game write ups I predicted were not a million miles out either.... predicting a defensive struggle at Baltimore, a heartbreaker in Seattle, the D bailing us out in Cincy and clunkers against Oakland and Pittsburgh.

So here we go I might as well have a stab at this year.

Jets: W, 28-7 - The Bills start with a solid home win against a lifeless Jets team. The defense is dominant and holds the visitors to a single touchdown, Tyrod has a typically efficient day throwing for 180 yards and a TD and rushing for another 40. Anquan Boldin has 65 yards receiving and a TD on debut and there is a pick 6 for the Bills defense.

@Panthers: W, 20-17 - Sean McDermott uses his knowledge of Carolina's offense to stymie Cam Newton's downfield passing game and the half the Bills are up 14-3. However, when Carolina move to a shorter passing game with McCaffrey catching 6 balls out of the backfield in the 2nd half they start to expose the Bills linebacking corps and with 2 minutes to go the game is tied at 17. LeSean McCoy breaks off a big run on the final drive to leave Hauschka with a 51 yarder for the win...... and the kick is GOOD.

Broncos: W, 20-9 - The Bills are 3-0 after their defense smashes Trevor Siemian from pillar to post all day long. Two sacks each for Shaq Lawson and Marcel Dareus as the Broncos are held to field goals and eventually in the 3rd Qrtr the Denver D eventually cracks and McCoy racks up 120 yards and 2 TDs.

@Falcons: L, 14-30 - The first really good offense the Bills face exposes their secondary and Julio Jones has a monster day going for 160 and two TDs. Tyrod Taylor plays well, throws for 210 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions but his tentative nature is evident again and the Bills run game can't keep pace with Matt Ryan's arm.

@Bengals: W, 30-17 - Tyrod goes off throwing for 320 yards and 3 touchdowns (2 to Sammy Watkins - his first receiving TDs of the year) as the Bills rout the sorry Bengals D. This one is over long before the end but a garbage time Cincy TD gives the scoreline a slightly closer look.

The Bills are 4-1 at the BYE.

Buccaneers: L, 20-24 - The Bills lead most of the way in a game that is always close but famous Jameis leads the Buccs down the field with 4 minutes remaining for the go ahead touchdown. The offense has a chance to respond but Tyrod throws an interception on 3rd down from the Buccs 25 and the Bills drop their first home loss of the year.

Raiders: L, 31-34 - One of the games of the NFL season. The Raiders can't stop the Bills rushing attack (Tyrod goes for 70 and a TD on the ground, McCoy 140 and a TD) but the Bills can't stop the Raiders passing game as Crabtree and Cooper get the better of White, and particularly, Darby. The game comes down to who has the ball last - the answer is Derek Carr and for the second week in a row the Bills are beaten in a heartbreaker at home.

@Jets: W, 40-13 - The Jets are pitiful as the Bills arrest the 2 game slide. Watkins, Jones and Boldin feast on a shambolic Jets secondary and Tyrod passes for FOUR (you can count them) touchdowns. He also gets picked off in the endzone once as well. White and Darby have "bounce back" games against the cardboard cutouts playing WR for the Jets.

Saints: L, 20-30 - The 5-3 Bills vs the surprising 6-2 Saints and it is the visitors who get the W with an explosive passing offense and opportunistic defense that picks off Tyrod twice and returns a JWill fumble for a touchdown.

@Chargers: L, 20-28 - Again the Bills secondary has trouble against an offense that wants to throw the ball. The Chargers give up trying to run by the end of the first Quarter and Rivers passes 49 times for 4 TDs and 365 yards with 1 INT. Buffalo stick in it through Shady and Sammy but again with the ball and 2 minutes remaining are not able to force the equalising score.

@Chiefs: L, 17-19 - Not for the first time in recent years the Bills arrive at a game with Kansas City with their season on the line. And not for the first time they lose a close game in which they are clearly the better team. Down 12-10 at the beginning of the 4th the Bills score through McCoy on a screen pass from Tyrod only to kick it off to Kansas City and see them return it for a touchdown. Hauschka is left with a 56 yarder to try and grab the win as time expires but it sails just wide and for the first time all year the Bills drop below .500.

Patriots: W, 27-24 - Yes.... you read that right. The Bills pull off a gigantic upset beating the hitherto unbeaten Patriots and frustrating Brady's final stab at an undefeated season. With the Pats up 17-6 at the half this looks like business as usual but the Bills are inspired after the break and Sammy Watkins completes the comeback with a grab right over the top of Stephon Gilmore in the back corner of the endzone with 24 seconds left. Tre Whit picks Brady twice in the second half.

Colts: W, 21-10 - We are in playoff simulator mode here at TBD but the reality is the Bills probably need to win out to get in. Spirits are high after the New England win and despite a day where the offense never really clicks and Tyrod throws two more picks the Bills have enough to eek past a sinking Colts team that is heading for another losing record. Chuck Pagano is fired on the flight home.

Miami: W, 26-17 - They couldn't, could they? Buffalo scores on their opening drive, McCoy going in from the 20, and they just about keep Miami at arms length all day. Jay Cutler is already the only man in NFL history to be picked off by Kyle Williams....... he decides to go double or quits and does it again.

@Patriots: L, 20-34 - The Bills come in on a roll and they actually lead 20-17 at the half. The second half they are never in it though. Gronkowski with 2 receiving TDs and Gillislee with 2 on the ground as the Patriots prevail and get their revenge.

@Miami: L, 9-17 - The maths still gives the Bills a chance if 3 other results fall their way. But this is their worst performance of the year. Tyrod is wayward, McCoy is stuck in neutral and the Dolphins scramble enough points to win an ugly game without conceding a touchdown.

The McDermott / Beane era starts 8-8.

(I actually think 7-9 and have us losing to the Pats at home... but I do have this sneaky feeling that if we are going to get 1 big upset win this year it will be against them).

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sane person spends this much time conjuring up gloom and doom scenarios, and then shares them with a community?

This is not healthy. Seriously.

And says he's a "fan"

I did one of these last year where I correctly called the Arizona win and the Cincy win two of our more surprise wins for the year. The post is here https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/188068-2016-game-picks-go-on-the-record/page-2 for those who don't believe me. I called 12 of the 16 games right (not scoreline but outcome). The ones I got wrong were New England on the road where I had an L and the Jets at home and both Dolphins games where I had Ws and we ended up at 9-7. Some of the game write ups I predicted were not a million miles out either.... predicting a defensive struggle at Baltimore, a heartbreaker in Seattle, the D bailing us out in Cincy and clunkers against Oakland and Pittsburgh.

So here we go I might as well have a stab at this year.

Jets: W, 28-7 - The Bills start with a solid home win against a lifeless Jets team. The defense is dominant and holds the visitors to a single touchdown, Tyrod has a typically efficient day throwing for 180 yards and a TD and rushing for another 40. Anquan Boldin has 65 yards receiving and a TD on debut and there is a pick 6 for the Bills defense.

@Panthers: W, 20-17 - Sean McDermott uses his knowledge of Carolina's offense to stymie Cam Newton's downfield passing game and the half the Bills are up 14-3. However, when Carolina move to a shorter passing game with McCaffrey catching 6 balls out of the backfield in the 2nd half they start to expose the Bills linebacking corps and with 2 minutes to go the game is tied at 17. LeSean McCoy breaks off a big run on the final drive to leave Hauschka with a 51 yarder for the win...... and the kick is GOOD.

Broncos: W, 20-9 - The Bills are 3-0 after their defense smashes Trevor Siemian from pillar to post all day long. Two sacks each for Shaq Lawson and Marcel Dareus as the Broncos are held to field goals and eventually in the 3rd Qrtr the Denver D eventually cracks and McCoy racks up 120 yards and 2 TDs.

@Falcons: L, 14-30 - The first really good offense the Bills face exposes their secondary and Julio Jones has a monster day going for 160 and two TDs. Tyrod Taylor plays well, throws for 210 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions but his tentative nature is evident again and the Bills run game can't keep pace with Matt Ryan's arm.

@Bengals: W, 30-17 - Tyrod goes off throwing for 320 yards and 3 touchdowns (2 to Sammy Watkins - his first receiving TDs of the year) as the Bills rout the sorry Bengals D. This one is over long before the end but a garbage time Cincy TD gives the scoreline a slightly closer look.

The Bills are 4-1 at the BYE.

Buccaneers: L, 20-24 - The Bills lead most of the way in a game that is always close but famous Jameis leads the Buccs down the field with 4 minutes remaining for the go ahead touchdown. The offense has a chance to respond but Tyrod throws an interception on 3rd down from the Buccs 25 and the Bills drop their first home loss of the year.

Raiders: L, 31-34 - One of the games of the NFL season. The Raiders can't stop the Bills rushing attack (Tyrod goes for 70 and a TD on the ground, McCoy 140 and a TD) but the Bills can't stop the Raiders passing game as Crabtree and Cooper get the better of White, and particularly, Darby. The game comes down to who has the ball last - the answer is Derek Carr and for the second week in a row the Bills are beaten in a heartbreaker at home.

@Jets: W, 40-13 - The Jets are pitiful as the Bills arrest the 2 game slide. Watkins, Jones and Boldin feast on a shambolic Jets secondary and Tyrod passes for FOUR (you can count them) touchdowns. He also gets picked off in the endzone once as well. White and Darby have "bounce back" games against the cardboard cutouts playing WR for the Jets.

Saints: L, 20-30 - The 5-3 Bills vs the surprising 6-2 Saints and it is the visitors who get the W with an explosive passing offense and opportunistic defense that picks off Tyrod twice and returns a JWill fumble for a touchdown.

@Chargers: L, 20-28 - Again the Bills secondary has trouble against an offense that wants to throw the ball. The Chargers give up trying to run by the end of the first Quarter and Rivers passes 49 times for 4 TDs and 365 yards with 1 INT. Buffalo stick in it through Shady and Sammy but again with the ball and 2 minutes remaining are not able to force the equalising score.

@Chiefs: L, 17-19 - Not for the first time in recent years the Bills arrive at a game with Kansas City with their season on the line. And not for the first time they lose a close game in which they are clearly the better team. Down 12-10 at the beginning of the 4th the Bills score through McCoy on a screen pass from Tyrod only to kick it off to Kansas City and see them return it for a touchdown. Hauschka is left with a 56 yarder to try and grab the win as time expires but it sails just wide and for the first time all year the Bills drop below .500.

Patriots: W, 27-24 - Yes.... you read that right. The Bills pull off a gigantic upset beating the hitherto unbeaten Patriots and frustrating Brady's final stab at an undefeated season. With the Pats up 17-6 at the half this looks like business as usual but the Bills are inspired after the break and Sammy Watkins completes the comeback with a grab right over the top of Stephon Gilmore in the back corner of the endzone with 24 seconds left. Tre Whit picks Brady twice in the second half.

Colts: W, 21-10 - We are in playoff simulator mode here at TBD but the reality is the Bills probably need to win out to get in. Spirits are high after the New England win and despite a day where the offense never really clicks and Tyrod throws two more picks the Bills have enough to eek past a sinking Colts team that is heading for another losing record. Chuck Pagano is fired on the flight home.

Miami: W, 26-17 - They couldn't, could they? Buffalo scores on their opening drive, McCoy going in from the 20, and they just about keep Miami at arms length all day. Jay Cutler is already the only man in NFL history to be picked off by Kyle Williams....... he decides to go double or quits and does it again.

@Patriots: L, 20-34 - The Bills come in on a roll and they actually lead 20-17 at the half. The second half they are never in it though. Gronkowski with 2 receiving TDs and Gillislee with 2 on the ground as the Patriots prevail and get their revenge.

@Miami: L, 9-17 - The maths still gives the Bills a chance if 3 other results fall their way. But this is their worst performance of the year. Tyrod is wayward, McCoy is stuck in neutral and the Dolphins scramble enough points to win an ugly game without conceding a touchdown.

The McDermott / Beane era starts 8-8.

(I actually think 7-9 and have us losing to the Pats at home... but I do have this sneaky feeling that if we are going to get 1 big upset win this year it will be against them).

The Saints, Chargers, Chiefs and Bengals games are more winnable than you give credit for. The Dolphins are just a notch above the Jets too. Did you actually see the Saints and Chargers play last year? What exactly are you worried about with them?

If this defense is the same or worse than last year we win 5 games. I don't see that happening though and will help us win a few more games. If they really take a jump we could be a 10 win team but I need to see the secondary play first.

And says he's a "fan"

The Saints, Chargers, Chiefs and Bengals games are more winnable than you give credit for. The Dolphins are just a notch above the Jets too. Did you actually see the Saints and Chargers play last year? What exactly are you worried about with them?

I have us winning the Bengals game. And yes, I think the other games are all winnable there is a route to double digit wins for the Bills - no doubt. I just don't expect us to win them all. It is a prediction not a wish.

As for the Saints and Chargers specifically.... I do worry about our secondary and Rivers and Brees are still very good QBs who can exploit that. I actually expect the Saints to be good as I said elsewhere yesterday. I loved their draft and liked their FA pickups. Their defense only needs to go from botton 3 to top of the bottom 3rd and they are a playoff team and their additions in the secondary and linebacking unit would give me confidence that it is possible.

But it is a prediction and a bit of fun.

If this defense is the same or worse than last year we win 5 games. I don't see that happening though and will help us win a few more games. If they really take a jump we could be a 10 win team but I need to see the secondary play first.

IMO it will need to be better just to stay the same if that makes sense. We face many more very good offences this year than last.

Week 1 vs NYJ: bad vs worse. Tyrod throws for 225, runs for 100. Shady breaks off a couple long ones. The Jests turn it over 5x. Expectations in western NY immediately get way out of hand. W 33-9

Week 2 @ Carolina: McDermott returns home, and gets drubbed. LB corps immediately exposed as Cam spreads the field and runs for 90 yds. The Panthers go nuts with screen passes, converting several 3rd and longs. Big day for Carolina TEs -- which will become a theme for the season. L 31-13

Week 3 vs Denver: a grinder of a game. Denver D is stingy against the run-heavy Bills, but the Denver O is inept against a sad Bills defensive unit. Field goals rule the day. Expectations again soar for no good reason. Upset W 15-12 in OT.

Week 4 @ Atlanta: A beatdown, in every facet of the game. L 44-10

Week 5 @ Cincy: it's the game they can never win. Gutsy effort from Shady, but Tyrod limps off in the 3rd quarter, and things unravel quickly as TJ Yates reminds the world why he's not starting. L 24-20

Week 6 BYE

Week 7 vs Tampa, aka the new hotness in the NFL. Winston has people on the Florida gulf coast talking playoffs. Wheels begin to wobble in earnest in WNY. Tyrod is back under center, throwing less and less accurately with each passing Sunday, due in part to a lack of competent receivers. L 33-17

Week 8 vs Oak-Vegas: Tears continue to be shed because the Bills braintrust passed over Khalil Mack, a guy in their backyard from UB, who supplants Von Miller as the most productive LB in football. Another thumping. Tyrod gets injured trying to do too much running, b/c his receivers can't get open. Sal Maiorana gets even more whiny. L 34-9

Week 9 at NYJ: TJ Yates creates QB controversy by playing well against a very bad team. Season sweep of the Jets costs the Bills the #1 pick in the draft, because they can't even be bad effectively. W 24-17

Week 10 vs New Orleans: back and forth affair with Tyrod back in action. Neither defense can stop the other: Saints in the air, Bills on the ground. Last team with the ball wins. Surprise W 34-31

Week 11 @ San Diego: The Chargers can still throw the ball. Screens and tight ends kill the weak middle of the Bills D. Shady is still beautiful to watch though. L 27-20

Week 12 @ Kansas City: once again, the Bills just can't beat these guys. Ugly game. L 19-17

Week 13 vs New England: the Bills play an inspired first quarter, jumping out to a 17-0 lead. CBS sends its #1 team to broadcast the game because Tom Brady! Jim Nantz and Phil Simms openly root for the Pats, exchanging warm hugs as Belichick makes a few simple adjustments that totally confound the Bills' coaching staff. Pats tight ends top 150 receiving yards. Gillislee runs for 180. Tyrod leaves in the 2nd quarter with another knee injury. Jimmy Garoppolo plays the 4th quarter because the Pats have already clinched home field throughout the playoffs, and CBS needs Tom Brady to hold still a while so they can worship him, zooming in on his chin dimple just so. L 44-17

Week 14 vs Indy: Why not try Peterman at QB? Here's why: L 33-10

Week 15 vs Miami: Who made this crazy schedule? Miami in weeks 15 and 17? NE in weeks 13 and 16? This just in: Jay Cutler actually isn't the worst QB in the league. Their D isn't bad, there are some WR weapons on this team, and Jayiii Ajayiiii is very good when healthy. But on this day, everything goes right. Tyrod looks really good, Shady goes off. W 34-13

Week 16 @ New England: Garoppolo, no Brady. Doesn't matter. CBS does live look-ins on this game, just to show Tom Brady wearing a knit cap and cheering for lil Jimmy. L 24-16

Week 17 @ Miami: If no one shows up to watch a football game, does it make a sound? L 31-21

So that's... 5-11.

lololol that's why I love coming on here. It's the unbridled optimism of Bills fans. I guarantee you this team will be much better than 5-11. Mark my words.

Week 1 vs NYJ: bad vs worse. Tyrod throws for 225, runs for 100. Shady breaks off a couple long ones. The Jests turn it over 5x. Expectations in western NY immediately get way out of hand. W 33-9

Week 2 @ Carolina: McDermott returns home, and gets drubbed. LB corps immediately exposed as Cam spreads the field and runs for 90 yds. The Panthers go nuts with screen passes, converting several 3rd and longs. Big day for Carolina TEs -- which will become a theme for the season. L 31-13

Week 3 vs Denver: a grinder of a game. Denver D is stingy against the run-heavy Bills, but the Denver O is inept against a sad Bills defensive unit. Field goals rule the day. Expectations again soar for no good reason. Upset W 15-12 in OT.

Week 5 @ Cincy: it's the game they can never win. Gutsy effort from Shady, but Tyrod limps off in the 3rd quarter, and things unravel quickly as TJ Yates reminds the world why he's not starting. L 24-20

Week 6 BYE

Week 7 vs Tampa, aka the new hotness in the NFL. Winston has people on the Florida gulf coast talking playoffs. Wheels begin to wobble in earnest in WNY. Tyrod is back under center, throwing less and less accurately with each passing Sunday, due in part to a lack of competent receivers. L 33-17

Week 8 vs Oak-Vegas: Tears continue to be shed because the Bills braintrust passed over Khalil Mack, a guy in their backyard from UB, who supplants Von Miller as the most productive LB in football. Another thumping. Tyrod gets injured trying to do too much running, b/c his receivers can't get open. Sal Maiorana gets even more whiny. L 34-9

Week 9 at NYJ: TJ Yates creates QB controversy by playing well against a very bad team. Season sweep of the Jets costs the Bills the #1 pick in the draft, because they can't even be bad effectively. W 24-17

Week 10 vs New Orleans: back and forth affair with Tyrod back in action. Neither defense can stop the other: Saints in the air, Bills on the ground. Last team with the ball wins. Surprise W 34-31

Week 11 @ San Diego: The Chargers can still throw the ball. Screens and tight ends kill the weak middle of the Bills D. Shady is still beautiful to watch though. L 27-20

Week 12 @ Kansas City: once again, the Bills just can't beat these guys. Ugly game. L 19-17

Week 13 vs New England: the Bills play an inspired first quarter, jumping out to a 17-0 lead. CBS sends its #1 team to broadcast the game because Tom Brady! Jim Nantz and Phil Simms openly root for the Pats, exchanging warm hugs as Belichick makes a few simple adjustments that totally confound the Bills' coaching staff. Pats tight ends top 150 receiving yards. Gillislee runs for 180. Tyrod leaves in the 2nd quarter with another knee injury. Jimmy Garoppolo plays the 4th quarter because the Pats have already clinched home field throughout the playoffs, and CBS needs Tom Brady to hold still a while so they can worship him, zooming in on his chin dimple just so. L 44-17

Week 15 vs Miami: Who made this crazy schedule? Miami in weeks 15 and 17? NE in weeks 13 and 16? This just in: Jay Cutler actually isn't the worst QB in the league. Their D isn't bad, there are some WR weapons on this team, and Jayiii Ajayiiii is very good when healthy. But on this day, everything goes right. Tyrod looks really good, Shady goes off. W 34-13

Week 16 @ New England: Garoppolo, no Brady. Doesn't matter. CBS does live look-ins on this game, just to show Tom Brady wearing a knit cap and cheering for lil Jimmy. L 24-16

Week 17 @ Miami: If no one shows up to watch a football game, does it make a sound? L 31-21

So that's... 5-11.

Agree with all of your outcomes but one.

I think this is a 6 to 7 win team at best.

Your 5 wins might be a touch low, but it's about right.

Week 6 BYE

So that's... 5-11.

Written on stone tablets by the finger of God :thumbsup:

We are always a 10 win/playoff team around this time of year! At least in the minds of most posters here.

I will be happy with simple improvement. Greater discipline, elimination of stupid penalties, maybe some growth from Tyrod, much improved D play, must better in-game management from the coating staff...

If those things happen it will be a successful, interim season.

We are always a 10 win/playoff team around this time of year! At least in the minds of most posters here.

I will be happy with simple improvement. Greater discipline, elimination of stupid penalties, maybe some growth from Tyrod, much improved D play, must better in-game management from the coating staff...

If those things happen it will be a successful, interim season.

I absolutely agree. If the Bills get a few bounces their way and some luck with injuries then sure double digit wins is possible, but we should be judging the success or otherwise of the season by exactly the things you suggest.

I absolutely agree. If the Bills get a few bounces their way and some luck with injuries then sure double digit wins is possible, but we should be judging the success or otherwise of the season by exactly the things you suggest.

See, I don't think these predictions are unfair or bad - you did one, the OP did one, I thought both were well thought-out and plausible but who knows? But there should be nothing wrong with posting these types of predictions.

Anyhow it's interesting that you seem to have us losing some games in the secondary, which seems highly plausible to me. I do think that you might be underrating our special teams, which I think win us 2-3 games this year (although you do have Hauschka winning one or two fur us).

And says he's a "fan"

I love how people try to assess "how much of a fan" someone is haha. Bills and Syracuse hoops are the only things I care about sports wise and I consider myself a HUGE fan. I had a little fun with my low expectations and shared it. Maybe I'll be a better fan if I post 33K times in chat rooms, blinded with optimism.

I love how people try to assess "how much of a fan" someone is haha. Bills and Syracuse hoops are the only things I care about sports wise and I consider myself a HUGE fan. I had a little fun with my low expectations and shared it. Maybe I'll be a better fan if I post 33K times in chat rooms, blinded with optimism.

I find people who proclaim to be fans in their screen name are often the most negative.

don't start getting upset at people. you started the thread to get a reaction, and you got it.

I have us winning the Bengals game. And yes, I think the other games are all winnable there is a route to double digit wins for the Bills - no doubt. I just don't expect us to win them all. It is a prediction not a wish.

As for the Saints and Chargers specifically.... I do worry about our secondary and Rivers and Brees are still very good QBs who can exploit that. I actually expect the Saints to be good as I said elsewhere yesterday. I loved their draft and liked their FA pickups. Their defense only needs to go from botton 3 to top of the bottom 3rd and they are a playoff team and their additions in the secondary and linebacking unit would give me confidence that it is possible.

But it is a prediction and a bit of fun.

IMO it will need to be better just to stay the same if that makes sense. We face many more very good offences this year than last.

I think he is talking about VABillsfan