Terry Pegula on concussions

Spurna

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The right answer is to not play football.

Do the owners want that? Nope

Do the players want that? Nope

Do the agents wants that? Nope

Do the NFL wives want that? Not of they want their husbands' money...

Do the fans want that? Nope

There is a right answer, it's just that no one wants to hear it.

This is a good way to put it. Rather than dramatize the cases that get past, and ask "why do they put themselves at risk at all", all of those people should be looking to assist in minimizing it and assisting when it does happen, but recognize that it is a hazardous game and there is an element of risk. It is either that or cancel the NFL.

Edited by What a Tuel

This is a disturbing non-answer from Pegs. His compassion as a human being apparently does not extend much further than his personal wealth and ambitions.

As we all know, it’s not just about concussions. The repetitive lower impact hits to the head over and over are likely just as dangerous. [***Disclaimer: Yes, yes, yes, I know all the science is not in on this issue and the sample sizes are still quite low. However, any sensible person at this point would have to admit that the anecdotal evidence as well as initial studies do point to something very significant and scary here...at least to the extent that further study is required. To say, "I don't want to talk about it" is crappy at best.]

Pegs shows simultaneously his willful ignorance and lack of concern here.

There are lots of things that could be done differently, starting with more stringently enforcing the current rules designed to avoid head and neck injuries. Personally, i would adopt rugby tacking rules. Unlike some others, i do not believe it would negatively affect the product on the field. A lot of these guys just don't know how to tackle.

Totally agree. So many NFL players lack fundamentals. Tackling is one of them.

This guy really needs to stop doing interviews. Damn.

Some uber-successful people are tone deaf and out of touch. CTE stories are everywhere, damaging the future of the game, and comments like this, albeit maybe being taken out of context, make it worse.

Smart businessman. Good guy. Zero PR intuition/intellect.

How is it a horrible argument? Players are now well aware of the risks, and they volunteer to play the game. It certainly doesn't absolve the NFL from responsibility in covering up the issue in the past, nor in continuing to take steps to try to make the game safer, but it is a 100 percent voluntary choice by the players.

Police officers and military are also voluntary. Should we brush off their risks as well? People can get shot walking down the street- don't want to talk about soldiers getting shot.

it was a poor statement for sure but I don't think he fell into billion dollar worth by dumb luck.

He can be dumb about different topics- just because he knows how to make money doesn't make him smart in all areas. He knows how to make money, that's it.