Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

On 1/22/2023 at 7:35 AM, muppy said:

Great! I still remember the battle for Britpop supremacy in the mid-1990's between Oasis with the Gallagher brothers and Blur with Damon Albarn. I had always preferred Albarn's songwriting, while Liam Gallagher has the more interesting voice.

Edited by DrW
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Back to Oasis, they were once sued for plagiarizing Neil Innes' song "How Sweet To Be An Idiot" in their song "Whatever". And indeed,there are astonishing similarities, especially in the beginning. For those of you unfamiliar with Innes, he was a member of the "Bonzo Dog Doodah Band" and provided music for several Monty Python projects. Here is the Oasis song...

...and here is Neil's original tune...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:37 AM, muppy said:

how to top REPO MAN that was brilliantly snarky. haha Great!

I'm posting this next one because the singers voice is magical,  great tone , Her interpretation of this song I found beautiful. And the busker learning on the fly and achieving that sound. awesome.

This guys stuff is often really good.  Looks very young here.  Seems to be loving life.  Took her a few bars but then she nailed it.

• Agree 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, DrW said:

Great! I still remember the battle for Britpop supremacy in the mid-1990's between Oasis with the Gallagher brothers and Blur with Damon Albarn. I had always preferred Albarn's songwriting, while Liam Gallagher has the more interesting voice.

HA! I actually knew of this rivalry happening with Oasis.They even made t shirts about it, My son had one. As far as my son goes Im going to to ask him to enroll at 2bd and post some music. If you see @Goldtooth that would be him. . His bands have influenced me in such a profound way..  I'll ask him to DJ his most influential bands  Did you ever listen to The Casualities? This was my sons jam in his early teens. Studded vest tight pants YEP

........so I had the casualties and suicidal tendencies and nirvana coming from his room. My daughters THIS and just as loud

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

this is me ..afterglow of the 70' and 80's I was listening to FM classic rock stations. This is one song I remember very fondly. A bit of verbal intro and the song plays.  ... Interesting what Don Henley had to say about it

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:23 PM, DrW said:

Back to Oasis, they were once sued for plagiarizing Neil Innes' song "How Sweet To Be An Idiot" in their song "Whatever". And indeed,there are astonishing similarities, especially in the beginning. For those of you unfamiliar with Innes, he was a member of the "Bonzo Dog Doodah Band" and provided music for several Monty Python projects. Here is the Oasis song...

...and here is Neil's original tune...

Ironically Innes was nearly sued over the song back up the thread "Get Up And Go" being too similar to "Get Back," to the point it was left off the "All You Need Is Cash" album. So does that make Oasis a 2nd generation tape dub of the Fabs?

RIP in peace, Ron Nasty

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I first heard this song on "so you think you can dance" wow that is a flashback to the earlier years. twitch the guy who not too long ago passed away from suicide. THAT guy was great on the show. Broke his career. RIP . beautiful lyric

for Twitch

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, muppy said:

HA! I actually knew of this rivalry happening with Oasis.They even made t shirts about it, My son had one. As far as my son goes Im going to to ask him to enroll at 2bd and post some music. If you see @Goldtooth that would be him. . His bands have influenced me in such a profound way..  I'll ask him to DJ his most influential bands  Did you ever listen to The Casualities? This was my sons jam in his early teens. Studded vest tight pants YEP

........so I had the casualties and suicidal tendencies and nirvana coming from his room. My daughters THIS and just as loud

I had never heard of The Casualities. Interesting video - they seem to be somewhat older than their audience. I am not overly familiar with punk bands, but many of them are pretty short-lived. Even John Lydon slowed a bit down when he started Public Image Ltd.

My favorite punk band - The Slits. Originally they were an all-girl band. In this clip the singer, Ari Up, was just 15.

A few years later, they had replaced Palmolive on drums by a male drummer, and they had a slightly less aggressive sound, while making the lyrics more interesting. In the next clip, if videos of a park and middle-aged men bore you, the music starts at about 1:20.

The Slits also incorporated reggae into their sound. Here they present a pretty competent cover of John Holts's "Man Next Door".

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I'm through with standing in line to clubs I'll never get in
It's like the bottom of the ninth, and I'm never gonna win
This life hasn't turned out quite the way I want it to be
(Tell me what you want)

I want a brand new house on an episode of Cribs
And a bathroom I can play baseball in
And a king-size tub, big enough for ten plus me
(Uh, so what you need?)

I'll need a credit card that's got no limit
And a big black jet with a bedroom in it
Gonna join the mile high club at 37,000 feet
(Been there, done that)

I want a new tour bus full of old guitars
My own star on Hollywood Boulevard
Somewhere between Cher and James Dean is fine for me
(So how you gonna do it?)

I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame
I'd even cut my hair and changed my name

'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars
And live in hilltop houses, driving 15 cars
The girls come easy, and the drugs come cheap
We'll all stay skinny, 'cause we just won't eat

And we'll hang out in the coolest bars
In the V.I.P. with the movie stars
Every good gold digger's gonna wind up there
Every Playboy Bunny with her bleached blond hair and, well

Hey, hey, I wanna be a rockstar
Hmm, hey, hey, I wanna be a rockstar

I wanna be great like Elvis without the tassels
Hire eight body guards that love to beat up #######s
Sign a couple autographs, so I can eat my meals for free
(I'll have the quesadilla, haha!)

I'm gonna dress my ass with the latest fashion
Get a front door key to the Playboy mansion
Gonna date a centerfold that loves to blow my money for me
(So how you gonna do it?)

I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame
I'd even cut my hair and changed my name

'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars

Every Playboy Bunny with her bleached blond hair

And we'll hide out in the private rooms
With the latest dictionary, and today's who's who
They'll get you anything with that evil smile
Everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial, well

I'm gonna sing those songs that offend the censors
Gonna pop my pills from a Pez dispenser
I'll get washed-up singers writing all my songs
Lip sync 'em every night, so I don't get 'em wrong

Well, we all just wanna be big rockstars

Every Playboy Bunny with her bleached blond hair

And we'll hide out in the private rooms
With the latest dictionary, and today's who's who
They'll get you anything with that evil smile
Everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial, well

Hmm, hey, hey, I wanna be a rockstar

Nickelback always got a lot of online derision but they had a couple of great songs - this being one of them.

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Nickelback always got a lot of online derision but they had a couple of great songs - this being one of them.

this band was not on my radar that much. I just think the lyric is ...whats the word...wordsmithy....and tongue in cheek.  It' a rare world. I like VIP areas Heck yeah I do lol .. Yeah being a rock star is not as GLAM as some might think. . Touring is a lot of travel wear and tear.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/nickelback/rockstar.html

*NSFW intron Now THIS guy was the prototypical "rock Star". I was never a huge fan I think he is soo much hype. Not much substance haha 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, muppy said:

this band was not on my radar that much. I just think the lyric is ...whats the word...wordsmithy....and tongue in cheek.  It' a rare world. I like VIP areas Heck yeah I do lol .. Yeah being a rock star is not as GLAM as some might think. . Touring is a lot of travel wear and tear.

*NSFW intro

wordsmith wasn't on the top of my list.  but there's merit there.   I think.

As a metal guy I understand the diversity within the genre and Meshuggah was pushing the envelope with the incredible drummer Tomas Haake and his ridiculous polyrhythms - Bleed is amazing in the speed and complexity - sounds like an idling engine:

On their latest album they have made drums/rhythm the dominant instruments in a genre always dominated by guitar which is really a landmark - checkout Ligature Marks:

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Avenger said:

As a metal guy I understand the diversity within the genre and Meshuggah was pushing the envelope with the incredible drummer Tomas Haake and his ridiculous polyrhythms - Bleed is amazing in the speed and complexity - sounds like an idling engine:

On their latest album they have made drums/rhythm the dominant instruments in a genre always dominated by guitar which is really a landmark - checkout Ligature Marks:

Love the perspective of the song from the drum kit. 

We have a local in-the-round venue where the stage rotates. TBH it can be annoying when they use it but I saw a band with a drummer I liked a number of years ago and it was cool as hell when he had his back to us.

2 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Seeing these guys tonight. 

LMFAO - "I couldn't understand the Loudness dude, But man that guy could scream"

I'll probably get torched for this, but a joke back in the day with Loudness was 'Everybody crap your hands!'  I actually saw them.

• Like (+1) 1

outstanding!  awesome. inspired by the cabbage patch

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

A sure sign that I like a song is when I turn up the volume. That happened here. 

Late night chill:

I love Wolf Alice.  Fierce lead singer and artist showing female empowerment Rawr I Love her.

Edited by muppy