Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

18 minutes ago, DrW said:

Yep. German public television had (and probably still has) a show called "Rockpalast" (= "rock palace") where they presented a one-hour concert, mostly by famous and semi-famous British and American bands, in front of a live audience in a TV studio. Several times during a year they had concerts in a larger setting, featuring 2-3 bands. At that time, in Germany the TV sound was pretty atrocious; thus, these concerts were broadcast in parallel on FM radio, in excellent quality. One of these concerts (probably the one with the most famous bands), in 1981, had first the Who and then the Grateful Dead. Townshend jammed with the Dead for a few songs. It was hilarious to see the contrast between his very energetic style of playing (or at least, his attempts to jump around) and the much more relaxed style of the Dead.  

Quite.....  relaxed..........

The wife and kids are in bed an I'm on a Janes Addiction kick right now.  I was looking for the guitar solo thread, but couldn't locate it. Somewhere around the 16:30 mark (Edit: the 22:09 mark is hot fire as well) is pure entertainment. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
More awesomeness
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Is that Pete Townshend? Me and my father in law got Who tickets for citizens bank park in May.

1 hour ago, DrW said:

Yep. German public television had (and probably still has) a show called "Rockpalast" (= "rock palace") where they presented a one-hour concert, mostly by famous and semi-famous British and American bands, in front of a live audience in a TV studio. Several times during a year they had concerts in a larger setting, featuring 2-3 bands. At that time, in Germany the TV sound was pretty atrocious; thus, these concerts were broadcast in parallel on FM radio, in excellent quality. One of these concerts (probably the one with the most famous bands), in 1981, had first the Who and then the Grateful Dead. Townshend jammed with the Dead for a few songs. It was hilarious to see the contrast between his very energetic style of playing (or at least, his attempts to jump around) and the much more relaxed style of the Dead.  

This is a bit LAMPish but some intersections in my life with the two posts above:

First and only time time I saw The Who was around 1982 in the Syracuse Carrier Dome. Sat top row, pretty sure it was row ZZ. It was the first of many farewell tours for The Who. Keith Moon was long gone.

First and only time (before tonight) I had heard of Rockpalast was a video of Porcupine Tree playing Futile (below). I saw one of the bands last performances at Radio City. The drummer, Gavin Harrison, is the second best I've ever seen live. 

Best drummer I ever saw live was Neil Peart. First and only time I saw him was at the Syracuse Carrier Dome circa 1983-1984. Unlike the Who concert we were 2nd or 3rd row center. Only two shows I ever saw at Syracuse, crappiest seats I've had for a concert and best seats I've had for an arena concert.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The wife and kids are in bed an I'm on a Janes Addiction kick right now.  I was looking for the guitar solo thread, but couldn't locate it. Somewhere around the 16:30 mark is pure entertainment. 

That used to be my MO. Wife and kids in bed, I'd break out the headphones, DVD and a large drink or three. Wifey got it and actually bought me expensive headphones that I wouldn't have sprung for.

I have a Jane's Addiction DVD from a Halloween show in New Orleans that was a go to but haven't watched for quite a while. That's about to change.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been watching on YouTube 

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

That used to be my MO. Wife and kids in bed, I'd break out the headphones, DVD and a large drink or three. Wifey got it and actually bought me expensive headphones that I wouldn't have sprung for.

I have a Jane's Addiction DVD from a Halloween show in New Orleans that was a go to but haven't watched for quite a while. That's about to change.

Its amazing how a good set of headphones makes a world of difference.  I have a decent sound system, but you hear so many things in headphones that are indistinguishable with speakers. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I've been watching on YouTube 

Its amazing how a good set of headphones makes a world of difference.  I have a decent sound system, but you hear so many things in headphones that are indistinguishable with speakers. 

Good phones and an amp are a must.

I heard this tune on the radio whilst driving yesterday.  I shazammed it and found out it was The Claypool Lennon Delirium, of whom I'd never heard prior.

Les Claypool with Sean Lennon.  I'll be honest, I had no idea Sean Lennon was even a musician.  When I got home yesterday I asked Alexa to shuffle some tunes by these guys ... WOW.  I love it.  Much of their music is very psychedelic.  Best I can describe it is a mix between late Beatles and very early Floyd.

This particular tune is much more Beatles-esque.  Hope you like it ....

From The Claypool Lennon Delirium's new album, "South of Reality", available everywhere Feb 22, 2019.