Why protect Yates?

You can say the same for the majority of NFL teams. Arguing about the best backup QBs is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Tell the Cowboys that.

You can look at their careers side-by-side:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YateT.00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CassMa00.htm

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care about career stats. Look at what Cassel did for the Boys last year. He stunk. As do most backup QBs. There aren't enough decent starters in the league. Common sense tells you the backups would generally be bad.

I would be good with seeing a 4th QB signed and let peterman play the entire game against the eagles. I don't need to see Tyrod in these meaningless games and if you want a better look at the back up, play peterman the whole game. Sign a street FA to back him up and leave Tyrod and yates in buffalo

Yeah, there's little reason to play Tyrod in the preseason. I guess that I'm cool with a drive or so a game but he needs to be healthy to have a chance.

I'm cool with Peterman getting more reps as well. If he is the #2 I see no reason to keep a 3rd QB. I'd sign a young guy that you like to the PS. If Tyrod goes down during the year and you need another guy pick up the phone and call Yates or Hill or any other experienced QB that's out on the street. They can come in and backup Peterman.

Don't care about career stats. Look at what Cassel did for the Boys last year. He stunk. As do most backup QBs. There aren't enough decent starters in the league. Common sense tells you the backups would generally be bad.

I'm not saying that he's good. Im saying that he's better than Yates. He's been a more productive option in his career. Neither is any good.

It may not be what you want to hear but from McDermott's POV the rationale is clear. He wants to do what he can to win this year.

I'm not thrilled with it either, I'd rather have let Tyrod go and rebuilt with someone like Yates as the starter, personally. But if you care about this year and you want everyone to know it, you keep Tyrod and Yates, both.

Yates did alright in Texas a couple of years ago as an injury replacement.

Lol.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Yeah, there's little reason to play Tyrod in the preseason. I guess that I'm cool with a drive or so a game but he needs to be healthy to have a chance.

I'm cool with Peterman getting more reps as well. If he is the #2 I see no reason to keep a 3rd QB. I'd sign a young guy that you like to the PS. If Tyrod goes down during the year and you need another guy pick up the phone and call Yates or Hill or any other experienced QB that's out on the street. They can come in and backup Peterman.

I'm not saying that he's good. Im saying that he's better than Yates. He's been a more productive option in his career. Neither is any good.

He's been more productive, maybe, because he's been with better teams. Last year behind a great O line with a great running game he stunk. So you can say all you want that he's better than Yates, but bottom line is they each are backup QBs. Again, just arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

If Peterman shows in preseason he performs better and knows the offense he'll be the backup.

He's been more productive, maybe, because he's been with better teams. Last year behind a great O line with a great running game he stunk. So you can say all you want that he's better than Yates, but bottom line is they each are backup QBs. Again, just arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

If Peterman shows in preseason he performs better and knows the offense he'll be the backup.

Not just rearranging the deck chairs because better options remain on the street. It's inarguable that Kaep and even Shaun Hill are better options than a lot of backups. The top 64 QBs aren't a number 1 and number 2 on 32 depth charts. There is room for improvement. Peterman may end up being that guy. Edited by Kirby Jackson

• 3 weeks later...

Yates is bad..........

....but the shelves out there are littered with "equally bads" or even worse ones.....so now what do you do?.....Yates is probably the odd man out because Peterman has and continues to show signs of promise and I doubt he'd survive on PS...

• 3 weeks later...