The Tyrod Taylor Question

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was still a threat, and how good was Denvers defense that season? :)

You may have made my point.

Tyrod is a different kind of threat, Very real and palpable..

2016 Teams decided to make him play QB. He struggled. But he still made plays and the offense still scored points.

And Broncos proved that Defenses still can win games

The defense was the reason the Bills missed the playoffs in 2016. That and poor game day coaching. If the defense had done it's job in the Miami games, the Bills would have been the WC, not Miami.

The stats show that if TT has a healthy offense with all his weapons, he does quite well. I do not think he was the main problem as to why the Bills missed the playoffs.

Of course our D was not very good and contributed mightily to some of our losses.

However, Hotrod was not some innocent bystander.

He helped.

In the 2nd Fish game, the play before Carp missed his second FG Hotrod had Goodwin open in the EZ. He connects we win. He missed. He also missed Woods on 4th down in EZ vs Hawks. He hits that we probably win. Get some 1st downs and don't fumble in 2nd half vs the Raidahs and we probably win that one.

There's plenty of blame to go around INCLUDING Hotrod himself.

To make the playoffs this year we need better play n all 3 phases.

Edited by reddogblitz

Did the Bills not lose to KC in 2015 when they had a lead and were tearing it up in the passing game in the first half and just like the Raiders game blew it in the 2nd half by abandoning the passing game?

it was the same guy under center TT.

BTW. Sorry if the truth hurt your feelings.

So you're saying that we lost those games because we stopped letting Tyrod throw the ball? That seems more like a ringing endorsement than a criticism.

Of course our D was not very good and contributed mightily to some of our losses.

However, Hotrod was not some innocent bystander.

He helped.

In the 2nd Fish game, the play before Carp missed his second FG Hotrod had Goodwin open in the EZ. He connects we win. He missed. He also missed Woods on 4th down in EZ vs Hawks. He hits that we probably win. Get some 1st downs and don't fumble in 2nd half vs the Raidahs and we probably win that one.

There's plenty of blame to go around INCLUDING Hotrod himself.

To make the playoffs this year we need better play n all 3 phases.

for sure

I don't even know why this is an argument really. Just watch the guy play this season. Either he improves, which I think everyone agrees he needs to, or he doesn't. Most people should also agree that Tyrod is pretty much the best the Bills were putting under center this season.

Personally I think they should draft the best QB they can get their hands on in 2018 no matter how he does. Can't really ask for a better opportunity with 2 first round picks and what's supposedly going to be a good QB class.

It really is pointless arguing. Everyone has their opinion and no one is changing it on a message board. The only thing changing it for anyone is his play this season one way or another.

Edited by Scott7975

You may have made my point.

Tyrod is a different kind of threat, Very real and palpable..

2016 Teams decided to make him play QB. He struggled. But he still made plays and the offense still scored points.

And Broncos proved that Defenses still can win games

you made my point, that a gamemanager needs a spectacular defense to win. do we have a spectacular defense? we might now, nobody knows yet, certainly didnt have it last year. btw, Tyrod is the wrong kind of threat, when defenses only have to play the run it certainly makes it easier on them.

Edited by bigduke6

you made my point, that a gamemanager needs a spectacular defense to win. do we have a spectacular defense? we might now, nobody knows yet, certainly didnt have it last year. btw, Tyrod is the wrong kind of threat, when defenses only have to play the run it certainly makes it easier on them.

I do not believe he is less a threat than a stuck in the pocket passer with a weakened arm. Peyton was surviving on smarts. Not his passing nor his running.

And defenses did not Only have to play the run. We just did not take advantage of the stacked box as well as we should have.

There is always room for improvement. Tyrod will have to learn to throw to a spot regardless of what he sees at some point.

More turnovers are likely but that is the trade off. And lets get back to that sweet deep ball he showed us in 2015. That really was amazing to me how he could throw over the top and drop it in. He lost some of that via play calling perhaps last year

That is demonstrably false. Defenses have to commit a player on many downs to the run threat that Tyrod poses. McCoy is often a beneficiary of this, as he has to worry about one fewer linebacker. It doesn't matter if defenses are playing the run, because they are also playing short-handed. It doesn't give them an advantage because they still have no idea where the ball is going. It's not the same concept as playing the run against a non-mobile QB and knowing that the RB will get the ball regardless of the situation.

I think most Bills fans , the Bills HC and the rest of the organization are keeping an open mind despite the need for a small handful that want to stamp a label on Tyrod Taylors ceiling, future accomplishments and length tenure playing for the franchise.( IMO )

When you call Taylor bridge it doesn't sound like playoffs because If we do I don't see T T going anywhere soon.

The scouts tried to label Taylor coming out of college, hows that working out so far,

With all due respect Bang

I am keeping an open mind but I'm also not going to be naive and pretend like he's some unpolished rookie. Some of you did this with EJ and wanted to pretend like an opinion couldn't be formed based on his body of work. People just love to dismiss a sample size because Tyrod didn't have ideal conditions to play with. It's silly. He has 29 games to judge so that's what I'm doing. If things change then so does my opinion.

That is demonstrably false. Defenses have to commit a player on many downs to the run threat that Tyrod poses. McCoy is often a beneficiary of this, as he has to worry about one fewer linebacker. It doesn't matter if defenses are playing the run, because they are also playing short-handed. It doesn't give them an advantage because they still have no idea where the ball is going. It's not the same concept as playing the run against a non-mobile QB and knowing that the RB will get the ball regardless of the situation.

so being able to cheat a safety up on the line or keep an extra LB as a spy in the box doesnt allow the defense to put more pressure on run downs? i disagree with your assessment. much easier to run the ball with a safety 15 yrds deep instead of 7.

Edited by bigduke6

You read my post. If you think those are excuses than there is nothing left to say.You won't be happy till he is out the door.

not true. you, as per usual try to inject your own invective where it simply is not. I asked a reasonable question wherein, if more excuses would be accepted this year, nothing more, nothing less. i am not asking about the defense or anything else. i am talking about Tyrod's level of play.

since when did the normal learning curve for a starting QB operating under 3 different OC's in 3 seasons get tossed out the window.

just looking for clarification here

i'm talking about excuses. of which, this could certainly be considered one. so if Tyrod fails miserably again this year, the excuse now will be that he had his third coordinator in three seasons?

okay, good to know. as i said, just looking for clarity.

So you're saying that we lost those games because we stopped letting Tyrod throw the ball? That seems more like a ringing endorsement than a criticism.

Yup. I'm saying that twice KC and Oak the Bills were killing it in the first half then abandoned it to run the ball Roman style.

Both game were lost because of it.

You make halftime adjustments to improve the game not ruin it.

The offense finished 12th and tenth in scoring the last two seasons. The Bills had the fewest pass attempts in 2016. TT plays a big role in why the running game works so well.And he doesn't turn the ball over.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/07/west-coast-offense-tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills/

"Some of Taylor’s struggles can be attributed to injuries suffered to Buffalo’s key skill players, though. In the 15 games that LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Charles Clay all played in, Taylor completed 64-percent of his passes for 3,362 yards, throwing 26 touchdowns and six interceptions. In the 14 games without either one of those players, those numbers dropped to a 61.2-percent completion rate, 2,697 passing yards with just 11 touchdowns and six interceptions."

what this fails to mention, is Tyrod's record as a starting QB.