30 Years Ago Today............

Chef Jim

You don't think Glam Rock started it? It was just a mixing of the two. Some Glam bands had a hard sound (case in point: Slade).

Quiet Riot just toughened it up, and even then it was still girly rock.

Glam rock wasn't metal and was essentially over by the mid 70's. And even then, it was mostly an alternative/underground//British thing. QR made record companies take notice that hair metal could sell commercially, and sell well. At least that's what the bands that followed said.

And I would not say QB toughened it up. There was always a tongue-in-cheek element to their music, as there was to a lot of hair metal bands that followed. Bonjovi was the most successful of those bands and I'd agree that they defined it. I wouldn't call Gn'R hair metal though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Mozart but now my preference is Dvorak. We went to a Baroque festival in SoCal. So glad to be back here but we missed the festival this year.

I'll start a thread where we can all exchange favorites - I'm not too familiar with Dvorak, having only heard a couple of his works. There's some incredible music from that era, which has a much heavier influence on modern music than most people are aware of.

!@#$ you guys, rock's not dead. Not even close. Just because you AARP dickheads have one foot in the grave doesn't mean you need to stop up your ears.

Are you engaged yet, young man?

Rock also died with grunge. The emotional bull **** thrown in to #feelings by (*^*&%^$^#cobain and other grunge whiners helped create the direction of the next age of rock which created too fighters which which created creed which created nickelback which created the cheap today

Sirius octane is full of kitty music.

Pop evil, maroon 5 and a few others were poised to become rock bands but failed miserably.

Edited by Boyst62

!@#$ you guys, rock's not dead. Not even close. Just because you AARP dickheads have one foot in the grave doesn't mean you need to stop up your ears.

Yup us old farts have no clue on current music. I've attended more concerts (and no not the geriatric tours) in the last five years than I have in all the previous years combined. Music has been a huge part of my life for over 40 years. I've followed it very closely over all those years and though there is some great music today there is more **** out there than in the past. No imagination and not a lot of real good musicianship.

I understand every better and better why you're single.

Rock also died with grunge. The emotional bull **** thrown in to #feelings by (*^*&%^$^#cobain and other grunge whiners helped create the direction of the next age of rock which created too fighters which which created creed which created nickelback which created the cheap today

Sirius octane is full of kitty music.

Pop evil, maroon 5 and a few others were poised to become rock bands but failed miserably.

No it died with rap. That's when many realized that all yoi needed was a sampler and a thesaurus and you could be drinking Crystal for breakfast.

Edited by Chef Jim

Yup us old farts have no clue on current music. I've attended more concerts (and no not the geriatric tours) in the last five years than I have in all the previous years combined. Music has been a huge part of my life for over 40 years. I've followed it very closely over all those years and though there is some great music today there is more **** out there than in the past. No imagination and not a lot of real good musicianship.

You: "rock is dead."

Also you: "I've been to more shows in the last five years than the rest of my life combined."

So...

You: "rock is dead."

Also you: "I've been to more shows in the last five years than the rest of my life combined."

So...

I said rock is dead? When?

And why have I gone to more shows in five years? Oh that's right. You have no clue as to why.

I said rock is dead? When?

Like half an hour ago:

No it died with rap.

Slurs about your geriatric status aside, my only skin in this game is to point out that rock is alive. Seems like every time there's a thread about music here the nostalgia glasses go on and the complaints about "kids these days" or whatever aren't far behind. Is there a lot more **** out there now? Hell yeah. Access to the kind of equipment needed to make music is more plentiful than ever. But that cuts both ways. There's still a lot of good music out there. People that find it go to shows and support it however they can. People that don't find it B word and moan about how there's no good music out there anymore.

Like half an hour ago:

Slurs about your geriatric status aside, my only skin in this game is to point out that rock is alive. Seems like every time there's a thread about music here the nostalgia glasses go on and the complaints about "kids these days" or whatever aren't far behind. Is there a lot more **** out there now? Hell yeah. Access to the kind of equipment needed to make music is more plentiful than ever. But that cuts both ways. There's still a lot of good music out there. People that find it go to shows and support it however they can. People that don't find it B word and moan about how there's no good music out there anymore.

There's always been a lot of ****. Even in the 60s and 70s.

Equipment needed to record poorly produced music is more plentiful. Making a well-produced album still requires top notch equipment which is very expensive/found in legitimate recording studios.

To me, there has always been great rock and there continues to be great rock. People like to cite the 80s as they worst decade of music, but some phenomenal rock came from that era.

And there is still high quality rock being made today - as there always will.

There's always been a lot of ****. Even in the 60s and 70s.

Equipment needed to record poorly produced music is more plentiful. Making a well-produced album still requires top notch equipment which is very expensive/found in legitimate recording studios.

To me, there has always been great rock and there continues to be great rock. People like to cite the 80s as they worst decade of music, but some phenomenal rock came from that era.

And there is still high quality rock being made today - as there always will.

My only disagreement with you is with regard to the availability of equipment used for pro-grade recording. There are several DAWs out there that you can use to get a great recording at home. I believe you are correct though with regard to getting a professional mix and master. A proper acoustical environment and a trained ear are both necessities that most people in home recording lack.

The rest of your post I agree with completely. There has been great rock music out there since the 50's, but you have to dig for it. Very little of what's either new or popular has any originality to it at all. There's too much money to be made in the industry for many labels or promoters to bother taking a chance on something that hasn't been focus-grouped and tweaked for public consumption. So much so that "Indy" stopped being "Indy" a long time ago.

Edited by Azalin

Like half an hour ago:

Don't listen to these old fools Young Levi. You are absolutely right!

Chef has rock dying in 1979:

When he was 19. That's a hell of a lot of rock since.

Rock isn't dead. Every generation does it to the next with this BS.

My father listened to Chuck Berry & Little Richard to to ire of my grandfather. Even Berry admits, his music (start of rock & roll) was simply Big Band set to the guitar. Big Band was the music of Chuck Berry's generation. Him setting the Big Band sound to guitar just happened to spawn rock, it paid the bills too.

Again, don't listen to the old fools. Your time is now!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I understand every better and better why you're single.

No it died with rap. That's when many realized that all yoi needed was a sampler and a thesaurus and you could be drinking Crystal for breakfast.

Ironically, rap killed rock but resurrected Aerosmith.

Like half an hour ago:

Fair enough but that was more my opinion as to what changed how music was engineered these days not how it's been killed.

Don't listen to these old fools Young Levi. You are absolutely right!

Chef has rock dying in 1979:

When he was 19. That's a hell of a lot of rock since.

Rock isn't dead. Every generation does it to the next with this BS.

My father listened to Chuck Berry & Little Richard to to ire of my grandfather. Even Berry admits, his music (start of rock & roll) was simply Big Band set to the guitar. Big Band was the music of Chuck Berry's generation. Him setting the Big Band sound to guitar just happened to spawn rock, it paid the bills too.

Again, don't listen to the old fools. Your time is now!

It was a slow "death" you dumbass.