Breer: Influence of Analytics Will Increase Under McDermott

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/28/nfl-analytics-front-office-old-school-approach-draft-game-planning-charting

It's an article looking at how all 32 teams handle analytics.

"The Bills hired Xerox exec Michael Lyons to be its director of analytics four years ago, but his role has been pretty limited since his arrival. That is about to change. Lyons and analyst Peter Linton have simply provided the information up until now, but with new GM Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott in place, their influence is expected to grow and additional hires are planned for before the season begins."

I know this is almost three weeks old, but I searched for it and didn't find anything. You can see because I searched old analytics threads, got interested and necro-bumped an old thread on the subject. Sorry. ;-)

It's something I have been hoping for since forever, really.

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Analystics in football is the most overrated thing ever. There are analysts that have stats that will have you believe Alex Smith is a better qb than Brett Farve. Sorry nerds, football still isn't for you.

If there is any information to help you, you should use it. But football will always be more of a feel type game. Don't be afraid to be your own coach. If I was in charge, I'd consider going for it on every reasonable 4th down once I crossed the 50.

Analystics in football is the most overrated thing ever. There are analysts that have stats that will have you believe Alex Smith is a better qb than Brett Farve. Sorry nerds, football still isn't for you.

If there is any information to help you, you should use it. But football will always be more of a feel type game. Don't be afraid to be your own coach. If I was in charge, I'd consider going for it on every reasonable 4th down once I crossed the 50.

Bashes analytics and then points to the exact type of thing that typical coaches do not do, but analytics supports. Funny.

Bashes analytics and then points to the exact type of thing that typical coaches do not do, but analytics supports. Funny.

That has nothing to do with analytics. I wouldn't look at some numbers. You go for it because you believe in your offense.

Coaches are too conservative and unwilling to go out on a limb. That has nothing to do with analytics.

That has nothing to do with analytics. I wouldn't look at some numbers. You go for it because you believe in your offense.

Coaches are too conservative and unwilling to go out on a limb. That has nothing to do with analytics.

And that's a prime place to know it's true by using the numbers.

The "analytics" say that coaches should be going for 4th down in way more situations than they actually do. This is based on percentages of getting the 4th down and eventually getting points versus not getting the 4th down and not allowing points on the subsequent drive and the impacts of punting / kicking a FG vs going for a TD, field position, etc. I know you were not saying you would be using analytics, I just thought it was funny that the example you cite is a precise area where analytics says they can improve over a coach's "gut feeling" and an area where the there is enough data to support the percentages not really lying in this use case.

Edited by Mark80

Analytics absolutely work in baseball and hockey. Makes it seem likely that they would be valuable in football.

Analytics work best in baseball because there are fewer variables. Football has 22 players and is a game played on emotion.

You should use all the information you have but most of the analytic people haven't really ever played football. I don't want a coach who blindly follows a chart. If it's early in the game and you like the o line is playing, you should go for and not have to rely on some numbers.

FYI, teams have been using "analytics " when scouting teams and finding tendencies forever.

I don't know if it's the most overrated thing ever. Maybe you should ask Ernie Adams?

Hopefully this is more than lip service. I would love to have access to a true giant NFL stats DB and be able to create a neural network to help answer football questions. I think it would help as lot as long as people were open-minded, realized that it's not the end-all be-all strawman that always gets argued against in these threads, and decide to not be analytics crumudgeons (I'm looking at you Doug Marrone).

Analytics work best in baseball because there are fewer variables. Football has 22 players and is a game played on emotion.

You should use all the information you have but most of the analytic people haven't really ever played football. I don't want a coach who blindly follows a chart. If it's early in the game and you like the o line is playing, you should go for and not have to rely on some numbers.

FYI, teams have been using "analytics " when scouting teams and finding tendencies forever.

You think the Patriots have won by being more emotional? How can you type that with any sincerity? Analytics is not about blindly following charts, it's all about finding value and advantage by removing emotion from decision making and focusing on expected outcomes. You know, like Belichick has done.

To the final line - yes, certainly. And now with the advantages of advanced technologies and more developed study those tendencies are able to be charted in a lot more ways.

No ones arguing you blindly follow a chart. Most of us think you can be more prepared to make an educated choice.

You think the Patriots have won by being more emotional? How can you type that with any sincerity? Analytics is not about blindly following charts, it's all about finding value and advantage by removing emotion from decision making and focusing on expected outcomes. You know, like Belichick has done.

true enough

They won by having the best qb ever.

They also win by using tendencies. Years ago, they played Minnesota who had the number 1 run defense. So they passed like 20 straight times to start the game. This type of scouting has been around forever. It's just that most coaches are kitty cats who are afraid to go past conventional coaching.

Again, you use all information available to you. But it's not nearly as important in football as it is in other sports. Qb play has killed this team the last 17 years more than analytics.