2nd year players

Marv has been quoted many times -as have many others- that the biggest jump in performance happens from a players 1st year to their 2nd. With that in mind, what can we anticipate from our 2nd year players?

Lawson; He got enough reps last year after coming back from a pre season operation to get a feel for NFL blocking schemes and the huge difference in talent and skill along OL's. Fully recovered, he should become a mainstay at LDE -if not in sack totals, certainly in containment.

Ragland*; this IS his 1st year, with the exception of understanding how an NFL team functions and partial understanding of how much longer the season is, compared to college. But I expect many 1st year mistakes and trying too hard that he will probably make many crucial blunders. We really don't know..

A. Washington; Obviously concerned about the likelihood of an extended suspension, I felt he performed very well as a rotational DT in year 1 and expect him to make fewer On-Field mistakes, becoming a very reliable player and Kyle's heir-apparent.

C. Jones; nothing much was expected from him last year and he only played a quarter in a meaningless season finale. A big, strappin' lad, we know he has a rocket of an arm but very little else is known about him with such a limited body of work at OSU. I like him, but I don't think he makes the final 53 nor Practice squad. This said, if Dennison's offense is 'tailor-made for Taylor', it could be for Cardale as well.

Dez Lewis; eh.. He has the height and leaping ability we sought when he was drafted. I thought he was too lean last year for the NFL. If he adds more muscle and weight, he could surprise, but I think he's a long shot to stay on the club.

N. O'Leary; I was a little surprised he made it back to the club after waivers, then saw the field a lot. He clearly improved throughout the season, but he had to, to stick. Dennison wants to utilize 12 personnel frequently, so a 2nd TE is being sought hard in camp. I'm hopeful he'll take the huge step.

K. Seymore; I thought he was a great surprise as a rook and expect him to solidify our nickel. Anything less, will be a disappointment, IMO.

J. Williams; well, we NEED him to step up!! I was kind of surprised he made it through his rookie year without being a casualty of a street FA signing for another position. If all the hype about his capabilities shows through this year, I'll be thrilled. Gillislee left big shoes to fill and I don't see any other player who may ease the pain of that loss.

Am I missing someone? With Ragland and Lawson's lost seasons, the jury will be out on this Draft class for a few years yet. With an entirely new coaching staff, no one is beholden to anyone. So how these players adjust to the new schemes and team atmosphere (no pool tables, no Club Rex) will go a long way to determining just what we added last year.

Tear into this.

The Washington arrest is very concerning IMO. He got into big trouble right before the bowl game his senior year, but seemed to learn from it, so this second incident is a major red flag.

It doesn't seem Cardale is in the plans of the new regime.

If Lawson / Ragland / Seymour can solidify themselves as starters / contributors, that's a win in my book at this point.

The Washington arrest is very concerning IMO. He got into big trouble right before the bowl game his senior year, but seemed to learn from it, so this second incident is a major red flag.

If Lawson / Ragland / Seymour can solidify themselves as starters / contributors, that's a win in my book at this point.

cant see cardale on the 53, maybe, maybe PS

It is Dez Lewis' and 3rd year. He is not making the team. O'Leary also in year 3.... he makes the team and has a chance to have a solid year as a rotational contributor (even though I'm not a huge fan of his).

Hmm. I used BB website and all these guys are descripted as Year 2. Shows how much they've contributed, that I didn't recall much of their 1st year. -sans O'Leary.

If the Jets are truly tanking, I could see Cardale being given a shot later in the year as a Jet. If you are tanking, it is a great time to give long shot QB's with a lot of talent and potential, but with doubts about them a tryout if you can get them cheap. I'd take on all the cheap QB talent with "potential" that have not been given their shot I could, give them their shot, run through them like TP, pick em up, try em out, dump em, move on to the next, and hope to luck into a jackpot. No risk, a lot to gain, on long shots other team are not willing to take risks on. I would be constantly shopping off the PS of the other teams. If they were on the PS of a team it meant that team saw some potential to that team when they worked them. You are tanking anyway.

Edited by simpleman

If the Jets are truly tanking, I could see Cardale being given a shot later in the year as a Jet. If you are tanking, it is a great time to give long shot QB's with a lot of talent and potential, but with doubts about them a tryout if you can get them cheap. I'd take on all the cheap QB talent with "potential" that have not been given their shot I could, give them their shot, run through them like TP, pick em up, try em out, dump em, move on to the next, and hope to luck into a jackpot. No risk, a lot to gain, on long shots other team are not willing to take risks on. You are tanking anyway.

they gotta give hackenberg and petty a chance you'd think right?

they gotta give hackenberg and petty a chance you'd think right?

If they are tanking, it is for a QB. How much future do you think Petty and Hackenburg have unless they really light it up. Try em out ,sink or swim, and move on to the next. Petty has already had his chance to impress hasn't he? If you are tanking for a QB, how much value or investment does that say the team has in your future as a QB?

cant see cardale on the 53, maybe, maybe PS

At the end of the day, I don't think he's ever going to be an NFL QB. But on the PS, if he doesn't get scooped up by another team, I'd be interested to see him plugged in at TE, even moreso than Logan Thomas.

I've been a Seymour fan. I liked that pick as soon as we made it. Wouldn't surprise me if he puts pressure on Darby for one of the starting boundary corner jobs by the end of the year.

He certainly has the requisite physical tools. Experience, refined technique, and confidence can all bring him to another level.

I'm normally not overly optimistic about 2nd year players, but of all the Bills, Seymour definitely seems a possibility for a major jump this year.

I think they have decided Petty is no more than a backup level talent at best. Which is what I said he was coming out. I think they will start McCown and Hackenberg will get his shot early.... maybe as early as game 5 or 6.

I think if they start out 0-3 against Buffalo, Oakland, Miami that they start Hackenberg the next 2 before the NE game.

And I'd have to believe someone else would put him on their 53. He's gotta beat out Yates by a comfortable margin in camp and I'm not sure he'll get the reps to do it.

I'd be shocked if he was claimed by a team. He's serisouly not any good but there might be something there worth developing. If he gets claimed then I wouldn't worry about it.

It is Dez Lewis' and 3rd year. He is not making the team. O'Leary also in year 3.... he makes the team and has a chance to have a solid year as a rotational contributor (even though I'm not a huge fan of his).

...thought this kid had some promise.....I was dead wrong AGAIN......

Hmm. I used BB website and all these guys are descripted as Year 2. Shows how much they've contributed, that I didn't recall much of their 1st year. -sans O'Leary.

There mist be some discrepancy with years experience vs. draft year there. You know how certain players who have been around a few years can still qualify for the practice squad because there is a special criteria regarding games on the active roster? I bet that's what they are using on bb.com. At least that's my best guess.

My biggest hopes are for Lawson, Ragland, and Seymour. While I'm not yet sold on any of them yet, they could all turn out to be fine starters.

I'm not expecting much of anything from the rest of the 2016 class.

Edited by hondo in seattle