Article on why 2017 passing game can make giant leap forward

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to be a buzz kill. I discovered that website last year when I was curious about the same subject. I think they just go through all of the ESPN sports and aggregate the data. There's other interesting stuff in there, too. :thumbsup:

Not a buzz kill at all. I hate spending that kind of time on stuff but sometimes you have to, to find the answer you're looking for.

Emo CoT in full effect !!

31st ranked passing offense, but check out these cool graphs !

That's not even accurate.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But to me he is sorry. If you can't throw when it counts your as good as nothing. Because any QB can have stats. Which a lot of the time they are misleading. Again, you play Tampa Bay, Rams, and get 500 yards combined and two wins. Great now you play Pats,Pitts, and Seattle. Then you get at best 50 yards a game. Yeah your average is 100+ yards a game. But you struggled against good teams and you lost to them.

giphy.gif

Haha. That sums me after most Bills games.

This is madness!

Even if we would of one that game we would be 8-8I meant Mathew Strafford.According to what you guys are saying and hearing from the Media. It's like Cardale is just straight sorry. Why haven't they cut him yet then. I think he can beat out the rook and Yates for the 2 spot. But you fans are giving the rook so much credit. For 1 in college he beat Clemson which had many close games besides win the title. Jones comes off the bench and plays three hard games and wins against top ranked opponents. But now the rook is better from what I'm hearing from Taylor fans. So they might.

I never expressed any kind of undying love for Peterman. None of what you said has any relevance to the question I asked.

I'll rephrase what I said; I hope the coaches keep players based off of performance and potential, instead of worrying about fallout from fans.

I think that the irony in all of this is that Tyrod is going to be the same pretty good starting QB that he has been for the last 2 years and the Bills will be around .500 again. I don't see him taking a big step up or a big step down. His gross numbers are going to go up because the attempts are going to increase. Those numbers are irrelevant anyways. If we use 35 throws a game (based on what Denver did last year) and apply his career averages it is: 349 for 560, 62.3% completion, 4,144 yards, 24 TD passes, 8 INTs. That is where I am setting my expectation (if he starts all 16 games). I expect about 35 attempts a game but I don't expect him to perform differently than who he has been.

First of all, how did you get those numbers? Did you take both 2015 and 2016 and do math to come up with numbers he'd get with 35 passes per game? Or did you just take one of those years, and if so which one?

Secondly, if he has those numbers I also assume he's going to get about the 500 yards and for the six rushing touchdowns he's gotten over the last two years as well? Those numbers could be a little higher or a little lower, but we all know Taylor is going to get a good amount of yards and at least a few touchdowns on the ground.

If he starts all 16 games and get those Numbers and the team has a competent defense, I expect we'll make the playoffs and Taylor will be re-signed to a long term more stable deal.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

First of all, how did you get those numbers? Did you take both 2015 and 2016 and do math to come up with numbers he'd get with 35 passes per game? Or did you just take one of those years, and if so which one?

Secondly, if he has those numbers I also assume he's going to get about the 500 yards and for the six rushing touchdowns he's gotten over the last two years as well? Those numbers could be a little higher or a little lower, but we all know Taylor is going to get a good amount of yards and at least a few touchdowns on the ground.

If he starts all 16 games and get those Numbers and the team has a competent defense, I expect we'll make the playoffs and Taylor will be re-signed to a long term more stable deal.

Career averages, and used 35 attempts a game x 16 games.

Did you really? The lowest total of the previous 5 games the Bills played was 49. Maybe stay away from betting, the O/U for that game was 43.

I do a few small bets throughout the year, I'm not betting my kids' college savings or anything. Anyways, I didn't see Seattle or Buffalo scoring much in that game. Oops!

I do a few small bets throughout the year, I'm not betting my kids' college savings or anything. Anyways, I didn't see Seattle or Buffalo scoring much in that game. Oops!

Oh Scott said he was thinking about putting big money down. I thought you meant you went heavy on that game. Was just going to say stay away from trends when you are trying to bet the college savings.

yeah - jimmy grahams 1 handers, and Schmidt's 32 yard per punt average in that game. grrrrr

Looked like a blow-out early on, we couldn't stop them in the air.

Edited by dneveu

If I may ... he (and any QB one should want leading the offense) should get these kinds of numbers when it matters most. Yes, he needs more consistency. But more importantly, to me, he needs to be clutch. He's been anything but clutch. Pretty stats at the wrong times. For two years straight.

Clutch is overblown and overrated. It's great to have, but you don't need to have it to be great.

See Aaron Rodgers.

And I bet after I just posted his name you're immediately jumping to a single pass or a single play like the third down beauty that one the Dallas game in the playoffs. But the simple fact is, Aaron Rodgers really doesn't come from behind in the fourth quarter, with the game-winning drives. He's done it about as much as Taylor over the span of their careers, by percentage.

And now someone's going to assume I'm comparing Taylor to Rogers and sayings somehow that Taylor is comparable in terms of how good he is. :doh:

oh my...

At least he used the quote function correctly there, right? :flirt:

Clutch is overblown and overrated. It's great to have, but you don't need to have it to be great.

See Aaron Rodgers.

And I bet after I just posted his name you're immediately jumping to a single pass or a single play like the third down beauty that one the Dallas game in the playoffs. But the simple fact is, Aaron Rodgers really doesn't come from behind in the fourth quarter, with the game-winning drives. He's done it about as much as Taylor over the span of their careers, by percentage.

And now someone's going to assume I'm comparing Taylor to Rogers and sayings somehow that Taylor is comparable in terms of how good he is. :doh:

Don't take yourself so serious. Taylor isn't clutch, that's what your pointing to? How about the fact he struggles to run a two minute offense. In a two minute hurry up he is one of the slowest QB to get a play off. It's reminiscent of a back up QB who has no command of the plays or players.

The clutch comparison to Arod is silly seeing as what I just mentioned. Who is noted for hurrying up and catching defenses offsides? Arod is in total control of the offense, Taylor is not. If he wants to remain a starter...that's where it starts.

I guess you think Philip Rivers and Drew Brees suck also?

Are you honestly trying to compare Taylor to Brees and Rivers? I think SD had way worse WRs than us and Rivers was making guys like Tyrell Williams into 1,000 yard WRs. Those guys have to carry their teams every game. Taylor is along for the ride.

Don't take yourself so serious. Taylor isn't clutch, that's what your pointing to? How about the fact he struggles to run a two minute offense. In a two minute hurry up he is one of the slowest QB to get a play off. It's reminiscent of a back up QB who has no command of the plays or players.

The clutch comparison to Arod is silly seeing as what I just mentioned. Who is noted for hurrying up and catching defenses offsides? Arod is in total control of the offense, Taylor is not. If he wants to remain a starter...that's where it starts.

Regarding the slow nature of getting plays off - It's not like it was just Tyrod... https://www.ninersnation.com/2015/11/15/9736210/was-greg-romans-offense-to-blame-in-san-francisco

Roman always struggled there, and struggled in the Red zone. If you take 25 seconds to get a play in to the QB, you don't give him a chance to make a single adjustment, let alone audible.

Do i think Tyrod is good? No, not really. I think that the Roman offense had the ability to play to his strengths, but there were a lot of issues with the 2 minute offense that you can't avoid.

Hopefully Dennison continues to play to his strengths, and allows us to get moving a bit quicker in the no-huddle/late in games.

Edited by dneveu

I guess you think Philip Rivers and Drew Brees suck also?

No, because they deliver when the teams needs them. And in critical time of the game. TT just does not have it in the clutch. He cannot finish.

Seattles probably not a good example... Considering Tyrod had a great game and had us in position to win at the end. 3rd and goal from the 8 and Mills got blown off the line for a 7 yard loss. 4th and goal from the 15 is probably the hardest play possible, vs. 4th and goal from maybe the 5.