12 yr old comes out in Mormon Church, mic cut off

She is free to announce it in any public area she chooses.

For reasons (not given) she chose her church, which is not required to give her a microphone.

It actually worked to her advantage, (as the cynical part of me thinks that they knew this) because now her "message' has gotten out to the press.

It's interesting they didn't cut her off until she said she hoped to have a partner and form a family. You can be gay and Mormon as long as you don't enter a sexual relationship with a member of the same sex. You can be excommunicated. The LGBT community has been putting pressure on Mormon's the last few years as they're one of the few religions who haven't loosened their views on homosexuality and gay marriage. I'd like to see teen suicide rates due to being a homosexual among teenagers in Utah compared to other states.

She is free to announce it in any public area she chooses.

For reasons (not given) she chose her church, which is not required to give her a microphone.

It actually worked to her advantage, (as the cynical part of me thinks that they knew this) because now her "message' has gotten out to the press.

i am bothered for two reasons

1) why did they even give her the microphone to begin this?

2) isn't the church supposed to be the place you come out with these things, to ask for forgiveness, acceptance, love?

this girl is 12. she may or may not be lesbian. maybe it is a phase, maybe it's not. but that this made news like it did and that she was cut off have me annoyed.

at a time when it seems this girl needs help and counseling and someone to listen to her she has her microphone cut off. she is clearly having a difficult time with life because she is simply a teenager, but now her church turning their back to her is confounding.

2) isn't the church supposed to be the place you come out with these things, to ask for forgiveness, acceptance, love?

this girl is 12. she may or may not be lesbian. maybe it is a phase, maybe it's not. but that this made news like it did and that she was cut off have me annoyed.

at a time when it seems this girl needs help and counseling and someone to listen to her she has her microphone cut off. she is clearly having a difficult time with life because she is simply a teenager, but now her church turning their back to her is confounding.

What, twelveteen?

Well, I can't speak to her specific church (I'm Catholic), but when I go with my wife to the local Baptist church, they are always handing out a microphone to the congregation so they can ask for prayers or make announcements.

She certainly was asking for acceptance and love, but I don't know about forgiveness. The whole situation was poorly handled, what should have happened is to let her finish her speech, and then one of the church elders should have followed with an explanation of the Mormon belief followed by a prayer for the girl.

Everyone's happy.

Some churches and/or denominations allow new members to get up and give their "testimony", which can lead to a 15 minute listing of a past that ends up unintentionally bragging.

A few times I have been present for people needlessly talking about their former addiction to bath-house sex every day for years on end.

Smarter places don't bother with this kind of public display.... one cannot unhear what they've heard...

Well, I can't speak to her specific church (I'm Catholic), but when I go with my wife to the local Baptist church, they are always handing out a microphone to the congregation so they can ask for prayers or make announcements.

She certainly was asking for acceptance and love, but I don't know about forgiveness. The whole situation was poorly handled, what should have happened is to let her finish her speech, and then one of the church elders should have followed with an explanation of the Mormon belief followed by a prayer for the girl.

Everyone's happy.

there is little to no blame we can put on this little girl. even if she thought she was going to be some martyr for her cause of the lbgtfwertyfas crowd there was no way it would work out that way with such a powerful organization.

Some churches and/or denominations allow new members to get up and give their "testimony", which can lead to a 15 minute listing of a past that ends up unintentionally bragging.

A few times I have been present for people needlessly talking about their former addiction to bath-house sex every day for years on end.

Smarter places don't bother with this kind of public display.... one cannot unhear what they've heard...

exactly, it is terrible. i hate having to tell anyone about the two 105 lbs. blonde twins and how i led them down such a terrible road of sin, the poor sister a virgin, the other having only been touched by her former lover of 3 years. the tailgate of my truck is no where to enjoy the pleasures of the flesh of a 21 yr old pair of sisters with firm perfect bodies. it was equally inappropriate for me to have had one sister guide myself in to her other as we spoke to the sins of the world that evening. i ask foregiveness.

edit: man, come to think of a lot of girls i've dated. a few baptists, one primitive baptist (snake handler), one texas methodist (also snake handler) was yesterday and i felt awful. i literally did things to her on a log in the middle of the river that i cannot dare speak of out of shame and guilt. that fallen tree, a beautiful feature of god's world and nature somethingsomething...it was fun.

Edited by Boyst62

there is little to no blame we can put on this little girl. even if she thought she was going to be some martyr for her cause of the lbgtfwertyfas crowd there was no way it would work out that way with such a powerful organization.

exactly, it is terrible. i hate having to tell anyone about the two 105 lbs. blonde twins and how i led them down such a terrible road of sin, the poor sister a virgin, the other having only been touched by her former lover of 3 years. the tailgate of my truck is no where to enjoy the pleasures of the flesh of a 21 yr old pair of sisters with firm perfect bodies. it was equally inappropriate for me to have had one sister guide myself in to her other as we spoke to the sins of the world that evening. i ask foregiveness.

edit: man, come to think of a lot of girls i've dated. a few baptists, one primitive baptist (snake handler), one texas methodist (also snake handler) was yesterday and i felt awful. i literally did things to her on a log in the middle of the river that i cannot dare speak of out of shame and guilt. that fallen tree, a beautiful feature of god's world and nature somethingsomething...it was fun.

They weren't twins, you idiot. They were just the same model blow-up dolls.

Whenever someone says that being gay isn't a sin, it paints them as a moron.

Of course it is, because that's the beliefs of the religion.

I know she's only twelve, but there should be a rule that prevents anyone from coming out of the closet before the age of 26.

Whenever someone says that being gay isn't a sin, it paints them as a moron.

Of course it is, because that's the beliefs of the religion.

I know she's only twelve, but there should be a rule that prevents anyone from coming out of the closet before the age of 26.

Out of curiosity, where did you come up with the age of 26?

According to the Government via Obamacare, one is not capable of taking care of themselves until that age

I didn't ask you and wtf does that have to do with coming out of the closet?

This looks like a very well planned and disrespectful stunt for publicity.

i want to have faith in humanity that we are not using a 12 yr old for publicity

but i would be proven wrong again.

at the dixie chicks concert - which i wanted to attend on my own volition - they brought up a probably 9-12 yr old tranny kid to sign with them. i booed so loudly it was great. "how dare you boo a child!" "ma'm i can boo it if i want." yeah, **** storm ensued.

i want to have faith in humanity that we are not using a 12 yr old for publicity

but i would be proven wrong again.

at the dixie chicks concert - which i wanted to attend on my own volition - they brought up a probably 9-12 yr old tranny kid to sign with them. i booed so loudly it was great. "how dare you boo a child!" "ma'm i can boo it if i want." yeah, **** storm ensued.

A church that is clearly against certain social trends is a target for a parent-driven publicity stunt.

I've seen stunts pulled at weddings and funerals as well.

At the wedding the offending party was basically lifted up by 4 men attending and dumped onto the sidewalk outside the building :D

According to the Government via Obamacare, one is not capable of taking care of themselves until that age

I didn't ask you and wtf does that have to do with coming out of the closet?

Children should get out of the basement before they come out of the closet. Prove you're an adult first, before you're allowed to inflict society with your activism.

Pics or it never happened

Why should that church embarrass a young lady who is obviously suffering from mental illness?I agree with cutting the mike.

I know. She's supposed to grow up and share a husband with nine other women.

Why should that church embarrass a young lady who is obviously suffering from mental illness?I agree with cutting the mike.

Yikes , really , and I'm a conservative Catholic . I have no idea what age they are sure they are gay. I accept them for who they are when they know for sure.

I don't know why medical science still does not have a reason for this.

Once lived next door to 2 gay women , the kindest , nicest people I ever met

Edited by ALF