Vacationing in NY

section122

5 year anniversary coming up and looking for a mini getaway with the wife. The trouble we are running into is we want to bring our 2 1/2 year old. What are some good family friendly places to vacation for a few days? All of NY and surrounding states except the City are on the table. We want to spend 3 or 4 days in early August before my wife and I go on a mini weekend get away to really celebrate.

Some places we are looking into that I was hoping for feedback on (other suggestions very welcome):

Lake George

Old Forge

Niagara Falls (we do all have passports)

Saratoga

Thousand Islands

Somewhere in Maine (no idea where to even begin)

We live between Syracuse and Rochester so it isn't a big deal to travel either direction. I get free rooms at Turning Stone so we thought of maybe using that as home base and traveling to Old Forge from there and places local to that as well.

Help!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Fort Niagra & State Park

Push/carry the kid around and take in a bit of history.

https://www.OldFortNiagara.org

Letchworth State Park

Letchworth is out. Neither my wife or I are hikers and I'm looking for activities to do.

Old Fort looks interesting if we go the Niagara Falls route it could be a nice day trip. Is it a town or just an old fort?

I like forts... Especially w/as kids...

Fort Ticonderoga is cool.

http://www.FortTiconderoga.org

Like camping? Adventurous, outdoorsy? Mt. Marcy area is one of my favorite.

We would always take family vacations @ Long Lake. Go on a Seaplane ride of ADK. Kids love stuff like that. When my son was 3 we stayed up and that was highlight of trip!

Letchworth is out. Neither my wife or I are hikers and I'm looking for activities to do.

Old Fort looks interesting if we go the Niagara Falls route it could be a nice day trip. Is it a town or just an old fort?

86 the hiking stuff then.

Youngstown, NY is very nice. State Park and Old Fort.

How about ArtPark...

http://www.ArtPark.net

You into Catholic (or Christian) God? ;-) Try Fatima Shrine... :-) Lewistown/Youngstown, NY

http://www.FatimaShrine.com

All family favs for us.

5 year anniversary coming up and looking for a mini getaway with the wife. The trouble we are running into is we want to bring our 2 1/2 year old. What are some good family friendly places to vacation for a few days? All of NY and surrounding states except the City are on the table. We want to spend 3 or 4 days in early August before my wife and I go on a mini weekend get away to really celebrate.

Some places we are looking into that I was hoping for feedback on (other suggestions very welcome):

Lake George

Old Forge

Saratoga

Thousand Islands

We live between Syracuse and Rochester so it isn't a big deal to travel either direction. I get free rooms at Turning Stone so we thought of maybe using that as home base and traveling to Old Forge from there and places local to that as well.

Help!

It is hard to beat Saratoga in August and Lake George is right up the road. The track is awesome (but might be a long day for the little one). There is also a lot to do in town with a lot of great restaurants. Lake George is beautiful and there are activities for young ones around the Village area. Both places might be a little pricey when it comes to hotels at that time of year. IT might be a better fit for your mini-weekend getaway afterward.

Lake George

Old Forge

Saratoga

Thousand Islands

Help!

Lake George/Saratoga and don't look back

Since you don't hike I would take Old Forge off the list. Maybe add in Lake Placid. There's enough sites to see there that don't involve hiking.

NYS is such a beautiful state... Missing out if they don't hike, etc...

Ausable chasm

http://ausablechasm.com

How about Lake Champlain... Take the car ferry to Burlington, VT... We take that route from time to time when visiting my baby sis!

That's easy and kids love it!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

We had a great family vacation in the Thousand Islands as a kid. I remember the boating, castles, free lemonade by the shuffleboard, ping pong and horseshoes. It could have been absolute crap, but hey, I was a kid!

We went to Bar Harbor a few years ago and had probably the most expensive accommodations we had ever stayed in (while not on an expense account :) ). The Bishop nixed the already completed plans for the Catholic Charities Ball my wife was running. She had to start over and work the whole time. The Bishop was on my list for a few years after that! I loved Bar Harbor, and wish my wife could have seen more of it wife me. She did come on the sight seeing trolley that got so fogged out you couldn't see the side of the road. It was that kind of trip....

Edited by Augie

I will echo the sentiments of a couple before me ... Saratoga/Lake George would be pretty hard to beat.

You can stay in Queensbury/Glens Falls for less money and be nearly equidistant from both locations (~10 miles south of LG; ~15 miles north of Saratoga).

Saratoga has beautiful architecture and lots of nice shops and great eateries. Lake George is a little more "touristy," but you can stay busy and even spend some time on one of the beaches or the pier. Could even take a cruise.

i know the thousand islands quite well, and it works for kids. as others have mentioned, it's great for boating, water sports, food etc.

we're actually going to lake george next week for about 5 days. the place we're staying is pricey, but the pictures look amazing. our daughter is 2 and a couple of months, and apparently there's a lot to do for little ones. there's even an amusement park geared to very young kids. i'm not looking forward to the 4 hour drive from rochester, but my sister in law raved about their trip last year, so we are giving it a go. i can let you know more after the 4th.

That is t-shirt beach weather... Just perfect! Coat wearing doesn't till the 20s. The rest, 30s-50s is hoody, sweatshirt and of course shorts year round!

:-)

it was 64 over the weekend and my date was cold as we sat in the stands at a race.

it's coat weater.