Former player comes out

People kill themselves for a wide number of reasons, mental health is often ignored and the EXCUSE that they used to actually commit suicide is all that's talked about. Our poker games used to have 8 people, 2 of those guys got into their 50's, things went sideways for them and they never got out of that rut and convinced themselves being dead was a better alternative. As sideways as life can get...keep your head screwed on straight because you only get one of them. Being gay is no reason to spend a lifetime wondering how to off yourself.

thanks Commonsense,

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that the people who say stuff like this are probably the last people who get hit on.

Playing football through college, it would be very difficult place to be gay. Lots of inappropriate conversations and name calling. It's not even that players are homophobic. It's just what happens when a bunch of meatheads hang out together.

I somewhat get what you're saying but assuming you're not gay, do you know what it's like to feel like the minority in a very masculine environment? It's the same BS someone tries to tell a person of another race to some being sensitive.

Until you are in that person's skin, don't pretend like you know what they're going through.

Google an hero that will help

There are so many stories we hear that end up being so sad, when all is said and done, with people not allowing themselves the chance to walk back from the abyss and we are left only with the sentiment of "what a shame, what a loss."

...I really like that we never had to express those sentiments for this young man...that he found himself.

Good for you, dude. Good for you.

There are so many stories we hear that end up being so sad, when all is said and done, with people not allowing themselves the chance to walk back from the abyss and we are left only with the sentiment of "what a shame, what a loss."

...I really like that we never had to express those sentiments for this young man...that he found himself.

Exactly right.

Takes guts to do what he did. I hope some of you on here calling him an idiot never have to face something so scary it causes you to question going on.

Ugh! -I have so many questions, tho... For example, could an openly gay player be in a locker room full of nude men without becoming you know... Visibly aroused?

Also, Does the NFL have any written language that deals with LGBT players or staff?

Edited by #34fan

Great post.

Exactly right.

Takes guts to do what he did. I hope some of you on here calling him an idiot never have to face something so scary it causes you to question going on.

In comparison to all the young men and woman that come out at an early age and face life head on?

I understand feeling compassion and I do, but we have kids laying in hospital beds all over the world fighting to just stay alive, not end it.

They're my heroes...

Maybe it was your hot pink "Frankie says relax" cutoff sweatshirt?

I used to be a jock in HS, so I was fit and trim with a 6 pack. I kept up running for a few years afterwards to keep in shape.

When my wife and I used to walk around the Park Avenue Festival in the mid 80's she'd always tell me guys were checking me out, and occasionally I'd see them looking too.

I wonder what Caitlyn Jenner is thinking right now?

how to get more fame while living wkth terrible mental illness and the life of luxury after killing an innocent woman because she chose to be an idiot

i hate when social issues are brought up on a football message board, whether its the Kaep bulls&*t on PFT,or this, who cares ? i dont care what anybody on here thinks about social issues.. and as always.. JMHO

It's about a football player being gay.

Also, you know you can just ignore the thread.

the media likes to make it a story. whatever he wants to do in his own bedroom should be nobody's business. not sure why anyone would care

The operative word here is "should be". In many places in this country, being gay can be uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous, and those places are not necessarily the ones that come to mind when you think of homophobia. Furthermore, while younger people tend to care less about whether somebody is gay than many older people, some are much worse.

That it's easier for gays now than it was even a decade ago doesn't mean they're home free.

I love that the people who say stuff like this are probably the last people who get hit on.

Playing football through college, it would be very difficult place to be gay. Lots of inappropriate conversations and name calling. It's not even that players are homophobic. It's just what happens when a bunch of meatheads hang out together.

I somewhat get what you're saying but assuming you're not gay, do you know what it's like to feel like the minority in a very masculine environment? It's the same BS someone tries to tell a person of another race to some being sensitive.

Until you are in that person's skin, don't pretend like you know what they're going through.

Very well said. Race. sexual orientation, religion, national origin, gender, even physical or mental handicaps can all be fodder for individuals energized by hatred.

Edited by SoTier

I am looking forward to the day when this isnt a story. I feel like we are getting closer to that point. It seems like LGBTQ relations have improved while race relations have taken a big step back. The day when we can look at people without first thinking, "gay," "black", "Muslim", etc... will be the sign of real progess.

In my life, I associate with a lot of people in each of those groups. Some of my best friends are black, gay and/or both in a couple of cases. Candidly, I used to think about that when interacting with them, even in the back of my head. It took a little time to be able to hang out and never once even remember that "____ is gay."

i hate when social issues are brought up on a football message board, whether its the Kaep bulls&*t on PFT,or this, who cares ? i dont care what anybody on here thinks about social issues.. and as always.. JMHO

Why? Football doesn't exist separate from the real world. Players and coaches are people, so they're going to have the same issues as other people. The big difference is that NFLers have more talent (and probably more money) than Joe Average, and people are interested in what they do, who they are, etc.

I am looking forward to the day when this isnt a story. I feel like we are getting closer to that point. It seems like LGBTQ relations have improved while race relations have taken a big step back. The day when we can look at people without first thinking, "gay," "black", "Muslim", etc... will be the sign of real progess.

In my life, I associate with a lot of people in each of those groups. Some of my best friends are black, gay and/or both in a couple of cases. Candidly, I used to think about that when interacting with them, even in the back of my head. It took a little time to be able to hang out and never once even remember that "____ is gay."

Great post and it's sad how much of this stuff is a story.

But I'm telling you, football locker rooms are so far behind the times. He's grown up quite a bit but imagine being a closeted gay player in the Locke room with RI.

Why? Football doesn't exist separate from the real world. Players and coaches are people, so they're going to have the same issues as other people. The big difference is that NFLers have more talent (and probably more money) than Joe Average, and people are interested in what they do, who they are, etc.

I get part of the thought to separate sports from other areas of the world.

But some people want players to be voiceless and have no opinions on social/ political issues. Which is BS.

Great post and it's sad how much of this stuff is a story.

But I'm telling you, football locker rooms are so far behind the times. He's grown up quite a bit but imagine being a closeted gay player in the Locke room with RI.

I get part of the thought to separate sports from other areas of the world.

But some people want players to be voiceless and have no opinions on social/ political issues. Which is BS.

Agree with all of this C. Biscuit.

Just out of curiosity you are about my age (36) aren't you? I think that age places a role in all of this. I'm more progressive than my parents, who are more progressive than their parents and I hope that my kids are more progressive than me when it comes to stuff like this.