Former player comes out

I found this interesting, I searched to see if it was discussed elsewhere, so if I missed it, my bad. Scary to think his plan was to play football and then end his life because of his sexual preference.

Ryan O’Callaghan’s plan was always to play football and then, when his career was over, kill himself.

Growing up in Redding, Calif., he didn’t see any other option. From a deep red corner of a blue state, the conflicted young man had decided in high school that he would never — could never — live as a gay man. While the 6-foot-7, 330-pound offensive tackle didn’t fit any of the gay stereotypes, he decided shortly after coming out to himself in junior high school that he could never let anyone else in on his darkest secret.

https://www.outsports.com/2017/6/20/15835374/ryan-ocallaghan-gay-nfl-new-england-patriots-kansas-city-chiefs

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mental health should be at the forefront of the discussion but it will be masked over by the fact that he is gay and that's so much more controversial and fun to discuss. Right?

You're probably right. I was happy to see the story that he came out as gay didn't make major news, but I was struck off the fact that he was going to kill himself over it.

Mental health should be at the forefront of the discussion but it will be masked over by the fact that he is gay and that's so much more controversial and fun to discuss. Right?

Well, the stressors associated with him being gay certainly appear to have been the root cause of his struggles, no?

I was out with a friend of mine (who is a girl) in Orange County, CA a few years back and being the gold digger that she is, she went up to this older guy with a nice suit and expensive watch. After chatting him up she came back and said no luck, he's gay and has a partner (couldn't marry in CA back then). Also they got to talking and he was a former NFL player, played in the 80's and 90's. I didn't catch his name and didn't really care at the time but the point is there are plenty of former players who are "out" and there are plenty of people still playing who are not so I don't see why this is even a story. There's gay people in football? Wow who cares

I was out with a friend of mine (who is a girl) in Orange County, CA a few years back and being the gold digger that she is, she went up to this older guy with a nice suit and expensive watch. After chatting him up she came back and said no luck, he's gay and has a partner (couldn't marry in CA back then). Also they got to talking and he was a former NFL player, played in the 80's and 90's. I didn't catch his name and didn't really care at the time but the point is there are plenty of former players who are "out" and there are plenty of people still playing who are not so I don't see why this is even a story. There's gay people in football? Wow who cares

Apparently enough for it to matter.

As long as they don't hit on me they can do whatever they want.

the media likes to make it a story. whatever he wants to do in his own bedroom should be nobody's business. not sure why anyone would care

He should be an hero to us all

Dumb story is dumb. He planned to kill himself because he is gay? What a maroon. He planned to kill himself because a) he is an idiot or 2) because he has mental health issues.

He unfortunately not an hero to us

I love that the people who say stuff like this are probably the last people who get hit on.

Playing football through college, it would be very difficult place to be gay. Lots of inappropriate conversations and name calling. It's not even that players are homophobic. It's just what happens when a bunch of meatheads hang out together.

He should be an hero to us all

Dumb story is dumb. He planned to kill himself because he is gay? What a maroon. He planned to kill himself because a) he is an idiot or 2) because he has mental health issues.

He unfortunately not an hero to us

I somewhat get what you're saying but assuming you're not gay, do you know what it's like to feel like the minority in a very masculine environment? It's the same BS someone tries to tell a person of another race to some being sensitive.

Until you are in that person's skin, don't pretend like you know what they're going through.

I love that the people who say stuff like this are probably the last people who get hit on.

I used to be a jock in HS, so I was fit and trim with a 6 pack. I kept up running for a few years afterwards to keep in shape.

When my wife and I used to walk around the Park Avenue Festival in the mid 80's she'd always tell me guys were checking me out, and occasionally I'd see them looking too.

Playing football through college, it would be very difficult place to be gay. Lots of inappropriate conversations and name calling. It's not even that players are homophobic. It's just what happens when a bunch of meatheads hang out together.

I somewhat get what you're saying but assuming you're not gay, do you know what it's like to feel like the minority in a very masculine environment? It's the same BS someone tries to tell a person of another race to some being sensitive.

Until you are in that person's skin, don't pretend like you know what they're going through.

People kill themselves for a wide number of reasons, mental health is often ignored and the EXCUSE that they used to actually commit suicide is all that's talked about. Our poker games used to have 8 people, 2 of those guys got into their 50's, things went sideways for them and they never got out of that rut and convinced themselves being dead was a better alternative. As sideways as life can get...keep your head screwed on straight because you only get one of them. Being gay is no reason to spend a lifetime wondering how to off yourself.

I used to be a jock in HS, so I was fit and trim with a 6 pack. I kept up running for a few years afterwards to keep in shape.

When my wife and I used to walk around the Park Avenue Festival in the mid 80's she'd always tell me guys were checking me out, and occasionally I'd see them looking too.

Haha. If you're comfortable with your own sexuality, why would this even bother you? When you're handsome (like myself :) ), lots of people hit on you. It's the price of being good looking.

People kill themselves for a wide number of reasons, mental health is often ignored and the EXCUSE that they used to actually commit suicide is all that's talked about. Our poker games used to have 8 people, 2 of those guys got into their 50's, things went sideways for them and they never got out of that rut and convinced themselves being dead was a better alternative. As sideways as life can get...keep your head screwed on straight because you only get one of them. Being gay is no reason to spend a lifetime wondering how to off yourself.

I agree on mental issues.

But if you are a gay guy in locker room, you probably are won't what is wrong with you. Why don't you want to bang chicks like the other players? Why isn't funny they make fun of gay people and call each other bundles of sticks? Are you less of a fan?

It's not as easy as you think it is. Maybe if a few more players come out, it will be. But if you're keeping it all in, I'm sure you probably have some darks thoughts.

This article basically proves what many of us have suspected for a long time. Aaron Rodgers Tom Brady is a gay. And that is ok.

Fixed it for you.

Haha. If you're comfortable with your own sexuality, why would this even bother you? When you're handsome (like myself :) ), lots of people hit on you. It's the price of being good looking.

It was the 80's and I was still too young to understand.

If it bothered me I would have told them to F off or started a fight like many guys would have done back then.

You're so cool