Most likely TANK theory I've heard thus far...

#34fan

Who, exactly, besides draft nuts, media mavens, and message board GM wannabes, would "some" include? Certainly not employed NFL GMs and HCs who want to remain employed because they're busy looking for players that can help them win in the upcoming season, not drooling over the high light videos of college kids who have 1+ years of college eligibility remaining. Scouts might be keeping tabs on some of the best looking ones, but no GM would decide to throw away a season just for chance to draft a specific college player. Too many kids who looked so great as juniors either get injured or don't perform up to snuff as seniors for an NFL team to commit to "tanking". Moreover, especially among QBs, too many supposedly "great" prospects who had excellent senior years have crashed and burned because they couldn't adapt to the pro game.

Keep in mind that in order for a mid-pack team to deliberately tank, the FO would have to make the decision to do so even before the FA period and the NFL draft so that it could shed key talent via FA and trades. Then it would have to pass on talented players in the current year's draft who could play well as rookies in order to preserve its chance to pick in the first slot in next year's draft. Now, this might seem sensible to you, but it's simply an absurd scenario to most sensible people. Somehow, I think NFL GMs are more concerned with the collegiate players currently in the draft than with who might be in the draft the following year.

SoTier, this is SoLike you...

You think a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in 18 years, and hasn't taken a first-round QB since 2004 isn't doing due diligence when it comes to QB prospects? :lol:

You think a GM that watched all his predecessors FAIL because they couldn't secure that critical piece of the puzzle isn't zeroed-in on that one aspect of the game?

Wow...

You're right about one thing... For a legit tank to go down, the FO would have to be all-in... The Owner, GM, and perhaps HC would have to commit to it with the understanding that a top-3 pick was the goal. -Nothing else.

I've never said once that tanking was a certainty... I've just insisted that if there was ever a time for a new GM/HC combo to do it, it's NOW... If Beane wants to mortgage the future by trading away picks to move-up, he can do that...

I call it unwise for a rookie GM, but he can do it... There are MANY ways to pull off a tank if you're 100% committed to it... Whether it happens of not, it's definitely an Idea who's time has come.

Edited by #34fan

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who, exactly, besides draft nuts, media mavens, and message board GM wannabes, would "some" include? Certainly not employed NFL GMs and HCs who want to remain employed because they're busy looking for players that can help them win in the upcoming season, not drooling over the high light videos of college kids who have 1+ years of college eligibility remaining. Scouts might be keeping tabs on some of the best looking ones, but no GM would decide to throw away a season just for chance to draft a specific college player. Too many kids who looked so great as juniors either get injured or don't perform up to snuff as seniors for an NFL team to commit to "tanking". Moreover, especially among QBs, too many supposedly "great" prospects who had excellent senior years have crashed and burned because they couldn't adapt to the pro game.

Keep in mind that in order for a mid-pack team to deliberately tank, the FO would have to make the decision to do so even before the FA period and the NFL draft so that it could shed key talent via FA and trades. Then it would have to pass on talented players in the current year's draft who could play well as rookies in order to preserve its chance to pick in the first slot in next year's draft. Now, this might seem sensible to you, but it's simply an absurd scenario to most sensible people. Somehow, I think NFL GMs are more concerned with the collegiate players currently in the draft than with who might be in the draft the following year.

It's like you're a plant trying to give #34fan an opportunity to sound reasonable.

SoTier, this is SoLike you...

You think a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in 18 years, and hasn't taken a first-round QB since 2004 isn't doing due diligence when it comes to QB prospects? :lol:

You think a GM that watched all his predecessors FAIL because they couldn't secure that critical piece of the puzzle isn't zeroed-in on that one aspect of the game?

Wow...

You're right about one thing... For a legit tank to go down, the FO would have to be all-in... The Owner, GM, and perhaps HC would have to commit to it with the understanding that a top-3 pick was the goal. -Nothing else.

I've never said once that tanking was a certainty... I've just insisted that if there was ever a time for a new GM/HC combo to do it, it's NOW... If Beane wants to mortgage the future by trading away picks to move-up, he can do that...

I call it unwise for a rookie GM, but he can do it... There are MANY ways to pull off a tank if you're 100% committed to it... Whether it happens of not, it's definitely an Idea who's time has come.

The last time I looked, the Buffalo Bills drafted EJ Manuel in the first round in 2013, which is just a tad bit more recent that 2004. Tthe only other first round QB they've taken since 1970 was Jim Kelly in 1983. Todd Collins (1995), Matt Kofler (1982), Gene Bradley (1980), and Dennis Shaw (1970) were the Bills only 2nd rounders. They drafted Trent Edwards (2007), Frank Reich (1985), Gary Marangi (1974) and Joe Ferguson (1973) in the 3rd round. The only two who were even close to being "franchise QBs" from that lot were Kelly and Ferguson. Reich was a competent backup QB on a strong team, but his stint in Carolina proved he wasn't starter material, either. Shaw was 1970 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, but like Vince Young, it was all downhill career-wise after that. The Bills inability to find QBs in the draft -- and their apparent disinterest in drafting them in the higher rounds -- isn't something that began with the departure of Bill Polian. It was a hallmark of the Bills under Ralph Wilson's ownership and the FOs that he employed.

Of course, except for the Polian era, poor drafting was generally the rule rather than the exception for the Bills, but I'm sure that that's all changed now, so undoubtedly if the Bills tank, they'll draft a QB #1 and he'll turn out to be a combination of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady ...

at least he will in the alternative universe you inhabit.

The last time I looked, the Buffalo Bills drafted EJ Manuel in the first round in 2013, which is just a tad bit more recent that 2004. Tthe only other first round QB they've taken since 1970 was Jim Kelly in 1983. Todd Collins (1995), Matt Kofler (1982), Gene Bradley (1980), and Dennis Shaw (1970) were the Bills only 2nd rounders. They drafted Trent Edwards (2007), Frank Reich (1985), Gary Marangi (1974) and Joe Ferguson (1973) in the 3rd round. The only two who were even close to being "franchise QBs" from that lot were Kelly and Ferguson. Reich was a competent backup QB on a strong team, but his stint in Carolina proved he wasn't starter material, either. Shaw was 1970 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, but like Vince Young, it was all downhill career-wise after that. The Bills inability to find QBs in the draft -- and their apparent disinterest in drafting them in the higher rounds -- isn't something that began with the departure of Bill Polian. It was a hallmark of the Bills under Ralph Wilson's ownership and the FOs that he employed.

Of course, except for the Polian era, poor drafting was generally the rule rather than the exception for the Bills, but I'm sure that that's all changed now, so undoubtedly if the Bills tank, they'll draft a QB #1 and he'll turn out to be a combination of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady ...

at least he will in the alternative universe you inhabit.

Ya got me... I should have said: -Excluding the most forgettable pick in the most forgettable QB draft in recent history. :lol:

In fairness, when you said "Tthe only other first round QB they've taken since 1970 was Jim Kelly in 1983" -You neglected JP Losman, who they traded back into the first to grab 22nd overall in '04..

Losman, was the first QB the Bills took in Rd 1 since 1983.... With that straightened out, -Let's talk 2018... Easily the best QB draft we've had since '12....Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Flowers, Falk...

All legit conversation-pieces in my alternate universe.

Edited by #34fan

I wouldn't be able to tell you until I'd seen the kid play. Do you think it was worth the Browns tanking to land Myles Garrett?

3 first round picks they have used

I don't mind if we go full bore just to see if we have a chance at making the playoffs but if we start out 2-6 Taylor should be benched and the tank should go into full effect.

what if Peterman kills it first game in?

...oh fer 17, stands STILL filled and you want to equate "tanking" with this club?......seriously?......sorry but there's no room for "caving queens" in Buffalo lore.....Jesus, and I thought I heard everything over the last 55 years.....this would be a NEW low..............

• 1 month later...