Most likely TANK theory I've heard thus far...

#34fan

No depth on this team for the most part.

Signing guys like Maclin, Barnidge(still can), and MG would've helped immensely. The guys running the show at OBD don't seem to think so or at least have a price and won't go over it for better or worse.

@ChrisBrownBills - Report: Per Schefter, #Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula are growing frustrated with what they perceive as a "lack of suitable free agent signings" from GM Brandon Beane that could immensely improve the roster. Word going around is that the Pegulas will hire #TwoBillsDrive member @ScottLaw in a consulting role with the responsibility of convincing top free agents to sign. The report also states that @ScottLaw will have the authority to offer a contract that would supersede any offer that GM Beane or HC Sean McDermott originally presented. Stay tuned for further details. #Fans Know Football More than the Front Office

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NeckBeard

:lol: -This short-lived aberration was fueled by a variety of components. Although, you could have started and ended with this one:

They made the fish look like an actual football team... Acquiring a resurgent Chad Pennington was an excellent move... Drafting a pro-bowl left tackle (Jake Long) for a team that allowed 42 sacks the season before was a great move.

A resurgent Ricky Williams, and Ronnie Brown did their parts... Two freebies from the Bills and their third-round QB helped too...

Bottom Line: -They HAD to go 1-15 for any of the aforementioned to happen in the first place... The TANK was what facilitated their 11-win comeback season.

It's a big pill.. I don't blame you guys for not buying in... Remember when Golum came back to haunt Sméagol with his "I told you so" speech??? :lol: -See you guys at 7-7!!!

FOR ONE YEAR, dude. ONE YEAR! They unleashed the "exciting" wildcat on the league only to have everybody do the same (the following year) to mixed results, and the Dolphins went sub .500 yet again, and again, and again.

They had a terrible draft in 2008. Terrible. They didn't get better because they lost out, then had a master stroke in the draft to stock up on new talent. They just didn't.

The best hope the Bills have is in a competent partnership between HC and GM.

:lol: -This short-lived aberration was fueled by a variety of components. Although, you could have started and ended with this one:

They made the fish look like an actual football team... Acquiring a resurgent Chad Pennington was an excellent move... Drafting a pro-bowl left tackle (Jake Long) for a team that allowed 42 sacks the season before was a great move.

A resurgent Ricky Williams, and Ronnie Brown did their parts... Two freebies from the Bills and their third-round QB helped too...

Bottom Line: -They HAD to go 1-15 for any of the aforementioned to happen in the first place... The TANK was what facilitated their 11-win comeback season.

It's a big pill.. I don't blame you guys for not buying in... Remember when Golum came back to haunt Sméagol with his "I told you so" speech??? :lol: -See you guys at 7-7!!!

This is your example of a "Tank" success story? :doh:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If you think anyone is going to tank for a defensive lineman you are beyond delusional.

If you think I think that then you are beyond delusional... I see Da'Ron Payne as having Ra'shede Hageman potential... Somebody's second round pick, and perhaps their fourth could be worth our late-mid first...

Edited by #34fan

You know. I think I agree with this. Tanking and Bills fandom is a constant talking point with some. We could have tanked for Luck. We could have tanked for Clowney. We could have tanked for blah-blah. And yet, if you drop a vase so that it's broken into a million pieces, would you trust guys like Marv, Russ, or Doug Whaley to the task of piecing it all back together so that it doesn't leak water anymore? I wouldn't!

Agree. I'm also reminded of fans who look back at the 2011 draft and think that JJ Watt would have the same impact here that he's had in Houston. Yet, they overlook the fact that Watt's first defensive coordinator in Houston, Wade Phillips, actually knew how to coach a 3-4 defense and knew how to use him, on the way to becoming, arguably, the best defensive player in the NFL over the last 5 or 6 years.

If the Bills did take Watt, he would have had GEORGE EDWARDS as his defensive coordinator. Would anyone trust Edwards with Watt, given how bad the defense was under him? I sure wouldn't.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective

FOR ONE YEAR, dude. ONE YEAR! They unleashed the "exciting" wildcat on the league only to have everybody do the same (the following year) to mixed results, and the Dolphins went sub .500 yet again, and again, and again.

They had a terrible draft in 2008. Terrible. They didn't get better because they lost out, then had a master stroke in the draft to stock up on new talent. They just didn't.

The best hope the Bills have is in a competent partnership between HC and GM.

I didn't offer them up as an example, you did... Hey, the fish draft horribly... They got a few things right that year, and a few things wrong the following one.

Drafting Jake Long was a "great move?" They took a left tackle when they could have taken Matt Ryan 1st overall, while still signing Pennington to back him up.

How many Super Bowls did Long lead the Dolphins to? Why couldn't he stick with teams for more than a season or 2 after leaving the Dolphins?

Guest NeckBeard

I didn't offer them up as an example, you did... Hey, the fish draft horribly... They got a few things right that year, and a few things wrong the following one.

Actually, no, you later responded that their 11-5 season was evidence that tanking worked. It didn't.

What don't you like about that success story? The Phins went from 1-15 to 11-5 as the wildcat took the league by storm paving the way for a division title after Brady went down in the first quarter of week 1. That team would go on to post 4 consecutive sub .500 seasons before back to back 8-8 years. Sustainable success!

26.. Be honest.... Wouldn't you like an 11-win season right now???? Come on.... You wouldn't go for one under ANY circumstances right this minute????

Funny??? I guess??

The sad part about your last sentence is its hard to argue against.

If it's hard to argue against, my suggestion would be to put your money where your mouth is and go apply for a Front Office job someplace, whether with the Bills, or any other team, and show us how you would get the top free agents to sign.

They took a left tackle when they could have taken Matt Ryan 1st overall, while still signing Pennington to back him up.

I liked the move... Ryan would've gotten killed behind that trash O-line... Long made sense, and proved his worth.

I liked the move... Ryan would've gotten killed behind that trash O-line... Long made sense, and proved his worth.

Long is out of the league and Ryan just had a career year and is hitting his peak as a franchise QB. Yeah, great pick, Miami.

Guest NeckBeard

26.. Be honest.... Wouldn't you like an 11-win season right now???? Come on.... You wouldn't go for one under ANY circumstances right this minute????

The Bills went 9-7 how many seasons ago? And yet, I didn't get that feeling that it was going to be all 10-6, 11-5, playoffs, Super Bowl wins, ticker tape, or any of that at the outset. I don't care about a singular 11-5 season if this team can't win a Super Bowl. I don't care about a singular 11-5 season if this team can't be in contention year over year.

So, I was one of many who'd stood by the roadways back when Kelly rolled into town. The 1986 Bills were still terrible. The 1987 Bills showed promise, there was a strike and all that, and the Bills still weren't getting to the playoffs. The 1988 Bills choked; they were really great, but they choked. 1989 was underwhelming, and they still could not break through in a winnable game. JFC. The rest is history. But the point remains. The Bills built something back then, and teams can still build something today, although with the salary cap and free agency it's way more challenging.

Carp all you want about wanting them to tank, but tanking is not what builds a winner. Good decision making and coaching is what does.

Edited by NeckBeard

What don't you like about that success story? The Phins went from 1-15 to 11-5 as the wildcat took the league by storm paving the way for a division title after Brady went down in the first quarter of week 1. That team would go on to post 4 consecutive sub .500 seasons before back to back 8-8 years. Sustainable success!

My bad! This is exactly the model we should all be hoping for. :lol:

One and done! Yep that's what we want a one shot deal. :death:

Long is out of the league and Ryan just had a career year and is hitting his peak as a franchise QB. Yeah, great pick, Miami.

:lol:

The Bills went 9-7 how many seasons ago? And yet, I didn't get that feeling that it was going to be all 10-6, 11-5, playoffs, Super Bowl wins, ticker tape, or any of that at the outset. I don't care about a singular 11-5 season if this team can't win a Super Bowl. I don't care about a singular 11-5 season if this team can't be in contention year over year.

So, I was one of many who'd stood by the roadways back when Kelly rolled into town. The 1986 Bills were still terrible. The 1987 Bills showed promise, there was a strike and all that, and the Bills still weren't getting to the playoffs. The 1988 Bills choked; they were really great, but they choked. 1989 was underwhelming, and they still could not break through in a winnable game. JFC. The rest is history. But the point remains. The Bills built something back then, and teams can still build something today, although with the salary cap and free agency it's way more challenging.

Carp all you want about wanting them to tank, but tanking is not what builds a winner. Good decision making and coaching is what does.

this very simple point will get lost in this thread. it's perfect though.

Without the franchise QB, NOTHING is sustainable... It's the golden goose... At this point, the fish know that Tanneyhill ain't it.

However, with 10 wins, and a playoff berth, they at least have something solid to build on... They'll make their move for a franchise QB next draft... They have no choice.

Guest NeckBeard

Without the franchise QB, NOTHING is sustainable... It's the golden goose... At this point, the fish know that Tanneyhill ain't it.

However, with 10 wins, and a playoff berth, they at least have something solid to build on... They'll make their move for a franchise QB next draft... They have no choice.

What you say is completely true, but does this mean that implicitly you are abandoning your original arguments about the values of tanking?

:lol: Under Ryan ATL has had their share of throw-away seasons... Miami made the right choice for both of them...

those lines always kills me.

the best option

option A - putting on a sneaker with a scorpion inside

option B - putting on a sneaker with a black widow spider inside

Which is the best option? Whether it is from TT or someone else, we need better. It's been mentioned numerous times at least 3 playoff teams had equally as bad or worse defenses than the Bills.

As to the OP. Tanking is for losers.

TT was unquestionably the best option if the goal was to win games and not tank. And his contract isn't onerous to get out of. Fix the defense (going back to the 4-3 will help immensely) and ST's (they added a great kicker and some punting competition) and the Bills have a real chance of being better this year.

No depth on this team for the most part.

Signing guys like Maclin, Barnidge(still can), and MG would've helped immensely. The guys running the show at OBD don't seem to think so or at least have a price and won't go over it for better or worse.

Well then, that would put the Bills right there with most teams.

@ChrisBrownBills - Report: Per Schefter, #Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula are growing frustrated with what they perceive as a "lack of suitable free agent signings" from GM Brandon Beane that could immensely improve the roster. Word going around is that the Pegulas will hire #TwoBillsDrive member @ScottLaw in a consulting role with the responsibility of convincing top free agents to sign. The report also states that @ScottLaw will have the authority to offer a contract that would supersede any offer that GM Beane or HC Sean McDermott originally presented. Stay tuned for further details. #Fans Know Football More than the Front Office

LOL!