Most likely TANK theory I've heard thus far...

#34fan

Guest NeckBeard

:lol: Under Ryan ATL has had their share of throw-away seasons... Miami made the right choice for both of them...

Wait, what? I would love to have the same "problems" as ATL. Look at what happened when they changed their HC and OC.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without the franchise QB, NOTHING is sustainable... It's the golden goose... At this point, the fish know that Tanneyhill ain't it.

However, with 10 wins, and a playoff berth, they at least have something solid to build on... They'll make their move for a franchise QB next draft... They have no choice.

Disagree. All they have to do is sign Karlos and the rest will be history. :lol:

420! 420! 420!

What you say is completely true, but does this mean that implicitly you are abandoning your original arguments about the values of tanking?

GNOPE!

Our situation is different than theirs... we made a lot of off-season moves that had to be made... Now we're almost there... Just one IN-SEASON move left to get us over the hump... IMO, it could be the move that saves the 2018, and '19 seasons.

Disagree. All they have to do is sign Karlos and the rest will be history. :lol:

420! 420! 420!

Low Blow.

Guest NeckBeard

GNOPE!

Our situation is different than theirs... we made a lot of off-season moves that had to be made... Now we're almost there... Just one IN-SEASON move left to get us over the hump... IMO, it could be the move that saves the 2018, and '19 seasons.

Low Blow.

So why the tanking thread then, if by what you've just written "Now we're almost there"?

So why the tanking thread then, if by what you've just written "Now we're almost there"?

It's the last act... The master stroke... 3-13 works... 7-9 does not.

McBeandip has a freebie this year... I suggest they use it.

Edited by #34fan

Why?

Because I rightfully criticize the organization on a message board?

I've already said they were wrong to not resign MG(the team had the rights to him, correct?)and the lack of depth will hurt them when the season comes around. It's been reported several times they are setting their price for FAs and not going above that. I hope they prove me wrong.

Here. http://www.patriotsnflofficialonline.com/Mike-Gillislee-Jersey

Wear it with pride on Sundays.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective

Guest NeckBeard

Then I can't wait for the first Beane/McD draft, and its outcome.

Guest NeckBeard

Also it's crazy to me that you equate that ATL/Ryan partnership is (or was) something of a failure. Like I'd said earlier, I'm getting old and salty, and in general, I don't care, but I just can get your earlier statement out of my head. Expound. You'd started this thread, so let it all out!

Also it's crazy to me that you equate that ATL/Ryan partnership is (or was) something of a failure. Like I'd said earlier, I'm getting old and salty, and in general, I don't care, but I just can get your earlier statement out of my head. Expound. You'd started this thread, so let it all out!

It certainly isn't a failure... I just don't think success would have followed Ryan in Miami... I was trying to understand your Miami example as well...-Did the best I could with it... Why did you use them?

Guest NeckBeard

It certainly isn't a failure... I just don't think success would have followed Ryan in Miami... I was trying to understand your Miami example as well...-Did the best I could with it... Why did you use them?

Simply because tanking means a willful attempt at losing, and those are the two most recent examples I could think of (whether they had chosen to lose or not, they were still going to get a high pick, and each organization had undergone change in the process). I'm not using the Browns, because they make the Bills seem like an organization who is light years ahead of what has taken place in Cleveland. Like the old Pats teams, the Browns have been perennially bad; you would think that a new aim towards analytics, which I enjoy and hope works in the NFL, would make them better. Still, when people say the Browns have tanked a season, I have to chuckle, because how many seasons could that organization have possibly tanked?

Edited by NeckBeard

I somewhat chuckle at the idea of an NFL team purposely losing games. Other than perhaps the Patriots bagging a game in Week 17 to secure the playoff matchup they want, It doesn't seem all that realistic on the flip side playing for a draft pick. My two cents for what it's worth on this subject. I don't think they're "tanking" per se for this season, but really setting themselves up in the event that this season goes poorly. Being realistic, if they were tanking, Taylor would have been gone. They wouldn't have given him his revised deal, which is essentially a 1-year "prove it" deal. If he doesn't work out like some think/hope, he can be cut next year for a $1m cap hit. That's it. They're not accelerating the cap hit on clay by another $4.5m to release him. Next year, he would save $4.5m by letting him go. They signed Groy to a nice deal and he played some 6-7 games at center last season. If Wood continues to make the all injury club, he's only $1.2m to let go next season in dead cap. Kyle Williams is in the last year of his likely last contract. They could have saved a bunch by cutting him, but didn't. When you look at all of the big names on the roster at this point with big contracts, only Dareus really can't be touched in the next year. You can call it tanking if you want to not re-sign Gilmore or Gillislee, but I just think it's giving the team the room to rebuild if they need it. The key there is IF they need it. I personally think that another 0.500 season or less will be a rebuild next year. Being in the playoff hunt would be another discussion.

Guest NeckBeard

I somewhat chuckle at the idea of an NFL team purposely losing games. Other than perhaps the Patriots bagging a game in Week 17 to secure the playoff matchup they want, It doesn't seem all that realistic on the flip side playing for a draft pick. My two cents for what it's worth on this subject. I don't think they're "tanking" per se for this season, but really setting themselves up in the event that this season goes poorly. Being realistic, if they were tanking, Taylor would have been gone. They wouldn't have given him his revised deal, which is essentially a 1-year "prove it" deal. If he doesn't work out like some think/hope, he can be cut next year for a $1m cap hit. That's it. They're not accelerating the cap hit on clay by another $4.5m to release him. Next year, he would save $4.5m by letting him go. They signed Groy to a nice deal and he played some 6-7 games at center last season. If Wood continues to make the all injury club, he's only $1.2m to let go next season in dead cap. Kyle Williams is in the last year of his likely last contract. They could have saved a bunch by cutting him, but didn't. When you look at all of the big names on the roster at this point with big contracts, only Dareus really can't be touched in the next year. You can call it tanking if you want to not re-sign Gilmore or Gillislee, but I just think it's giving the team the room to rebuild if they need it. The key there is IF they need it. I personally think that another 0.500 season or less will be a rebuild next year. Being in the playoff hunt would be another discussion.

Yes, I think your perspective is a completely reasonable one, and I agree with you 100%. Based on transactions from this past offseason, the situation seems to be setting itself up in a way that you propose. You didn't mention getting a new QB, but my opinion is that's part of the math too.

If they were setting up a tank season, they sure as heck would not have re-signed Lorenzo Alexander either.