Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

9 minutes ago, eball said:

I didn't watch a single Dahlin highlight video before the lottery because I didn't want to get my hopes up.

WOW.  Can't believe the Sabres are going to get this guy.  What a game-changer.

On WGR they were talking about Dahlin. The point was made that although the videos show sparkling highlights he also is a hitter and has an ability to play a rugged game which wouldn't be shown on youtube videos. With Dahlin, Mittlestadt and Eichel you not only have very good players but you have exciting players to watch. If Nylander can take a leap forward then that will be an added boost. He's still very young but his play so far is not very distinguishable. That worries me. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

On WGR they were talking about Dahlin. The point was made that although the videos show sparkling highlights he also is a hitter and has an ability to play a rugged game which wouldn't be shown on youtube videos. With Dahlin, Mittlestadt and Eichel you not only have very good players but you have exciting players to watch. If Nylander can take a leap forward then that will be an added boost. He's still very young but his play so far is not very distinguishable. That worries me. 

I love the fact that Dahlin should be ready to immediately step in and play, given his experience in Sweden.  The Sabres need to find a netminder and I agree, it would be nice if Nylander wakes up, but suddenly the future looks very bright.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

I love the fact that Dahlin should be ready to immediately step in and play, given his experience in Sweden.  The Sabres need to find a netminder and I agree, it would be nice if Nylander wakes up, but suddenly the future looks very bright.

I'm not a Lehner fan. Giving up a first round pick for him was a mistake for a player that Ottawa wanted to get rid of. In Lehner's defense our defense was atrocious. The Sabres need steady goal tending and goalies that don't give up goals on pedestrian shots. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do we have money to bring in any free agents?  A top 6 sniper with speed to play next to Eichel would be nice.

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

was in car a lot yesterday, so listened to the Sunday show on GR. They had some dude on who I guess was an expert on the Sweedish league. He said players there describe getting hit by him like hitting a brick wall. He sounded like he also gets himself out of position a bit more than you would like on the bigger rinks there, but felt in the smaller NA rinks his hitting will become more evident and pronounced as he will be in better positions.

Warning, thought this next part was weird but will relay it anyway.He also talked about how this Dahlin really had a delayed onset of puberty, but on 10 kilos(22lbs) of pure muscle last year will probably continue to get bigger!!! Pretty good listen..this dude watches him prolly the most.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-29-shl-correspondent-patrik-bexell-talks-rasmus-dahlin-sports-talk-sunday

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

was in car a lot yesterday, so listened to the Sunday show on GR. They had some dude on who I guess was an expert on the Sweedish league. He said players there describe getting hit by him like hitting a brick wall. He sounded like he also gets himself out of position a bit more than you would like on the bigger rinks there, but felt in the smaller NA rinks his hitting will become more evident and pronounced as he will be in better positions.

Warning, thought this next part was weird but will relay it anyway.He also talked about how this Dahlin really had a delayed onset of puberty, but on 10 kilos(22lbs) of pure muscle last year will probably continue to get bigger!!! Pretty good listen..this dude watches him prolly the most.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-29-shl-correspondent-patrik-bexell-talks-rasmus-dahlin-sports-talk-sunday

Posted that yesterday. Nice to hear from someone who has watched him up close for so long. 

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This post is well timed. There was a discussion with Paul Hamilton on WGR talking about the cost of free agents and how teams are built. He made the point (that you are alluding  to) that signing big time free agents for costly long term contracts takes away your ability to make future moves. Paul Hamilton made the point that the waive of the future is to go after college players and European players because it is a smarter way of managing your cap and giving yourself more roster flexibility. 

So was he saying to pick up those guys as undrafted free agents, signing guys with a few extra years of development but still fall under entry level money restrictions? You’re not working with all that many options there and they do seem to be lower ceiling players at that point. They can’t hope for much more than bottom 6 or 6-7 defenseman guys from that pool of talent. It can help, but there still needs to be more. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Do we have money to bring in any free agents?  A top 6 sniper with speed to play next to Eichel would be nice.

I would say no because future contracts for players such as Rheinhart have to be factored in. One of the reasons why Kane needed to be traded was that it would consume too much of the cap that would have to be dedicated to contracts that were going to be in the pipeline. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I would say no because future contracts for players such as Rheinhart have to be factored in. One of the reasons why Kane needed to be traded was that it would consume too much of the cap that would have to be dedicated to contracts that were going to be in the pipeline. 

In that case, I sure hope Nylander makes a big leap forward -- or maybe Olofsson turns into a steal.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

So was he saying to pick up those guys as undrafted free agents, signing guys with a few extra years of development but still fall under entry level money restrictions? You’re not working with all that many options there and they do seem to be lower ceiling players at that point. They can’t hope for much more than bottom 6 or 6-7 defenseman guys from that pool of talent. It can help, but there still needs to be more. 

The basic point was with the gargantuan and lengthy free agent contracts you are encumbering your franchise for a long time. Paul Hamilton felt that those types of high profile deals are going to diminish to the point of nearly vanishing. The central point is because of the cap system player development and not market splurging is the best way to work with the current system. The same reasoning and strategy applies to both pro football and hockey.  

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It all falls back on whether or not they would consider moving O’Reilly. After that, Moulson and Bogosian are the big money black holes. It would take some creativity and movement, but I think they can make a play for Tavares if they really want to. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

But he is a defenceman.

There is a disco (disconnect) between forward and defenseman.  At least with me.

I am nervous taking a D-Man.  They take years to make impact?  I know, it's the flashy, shiny, object, forward thing in front of me!  Maybe that's why we kept Phil?  Housley did have HoF forward game from the Blue Line.

So... Can we say Bobby Orr?  Does Dahlin score a lot?

Somebody please put me @ ease! :D

(I am alternating my spellings for the Canadian crowd.  I am being "national neutral." ;))

22 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But he is a defenceman.

There is a disco (disconnect) between forward and defenseman.  At least with me.

I am nervous taking a D-Man.  They take years to make impact?  I know, it's the flashy, shiny, object, forward thing in front of me!  Maybe that's why we kept Phil?  Housley did have HoF forward game from the Blue Line.

(I am alternating my spellings for the Canadian crowd.  I am being "national neutral." ;))

I've read a lot about him recently and everyone seems to be using phrases like "generational talent," "has no flaws," and "will transform the Sabres immediately."

Nobody has seen anyone as polished as this kid was playing against men at just 16 and 17 years of age. So, I think you can rest at ease, the Sabres just got the type of luck that could very well lead to a Stanley Cup or two down the line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But he is a defenceman.

No offense intended, but this is spoken like a man who doesn't understand the importance of a true superstar #1 defenseman.

• Like (+1) 1