Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

4-30: Sabres' GM Jason Botterill with Schopp and Bulldog (13:19)

We've got Sabres GM Jason Botterill on the line NOW on WGR!

Botterill - I wasn't too nervous at all, it was a lottery, nothing you could control

Botterill - It was a more drawn out evening... didn't have any idea at all (if we had won)

Botterill - The Vegas - SJ game seemed to last forever

Botterill - All 31 teams would love to have a player like (Dahlin)... it's imperative to have a defenseman and Rasmus certainly does that

Botterill - We have to improve in all areas, we need to be faster up front, stronger in the D zone, have to have better goaltending

Botterill - I'm a huge believer in getting the best player available

Botterill - I believe it meant a lot to this organization... there was a lot of emotion and a lot of excitement

Botterill - It's a situation where Rochester was able to make the playoffs, but (losing in round one) was an indication that we still have work to be done on that

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

That Weber interview was amazing. I've read a lot about Dahlin's work ethic and drive being next level, and Weber confirms it. 

When your (soon to be) best player has a relentless drive to get better, that flows down through the whole team. I really think good things are in store for the Sabres in the future!  I am beyond pumped we actually landed this kid. Still feels too good to be true! It's like a dream. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I hate all time player rankings, but I have absolutely no problem considering Lidstrom one of the greatest d-men of all time.  The thing about his career that never ceases to amaze me is that he never won a Norris until he was 31... and then he wound up with 7.

Just imagine the Sabres having Dahlin for the next 15-20 years!

Winners and losers of the 2018 NHL draft lottery

The Sabres get first dibs on this draft class, while the Habs and Canes moved up. The Senators -- and the Canucks' mascot -- were not so lucky.

Winners

Buffalo Sabres. Oh, the hockey irony of getting the second overall pick when they tanked for the first in 2015, and then getting the first overall pick when they genuinely didn't want to be terrible this season. This is the first time the Sabres will draft first overall since 1987, when they took Pierre Turgeon.

The addition of a game-changing defenseman in Rasmus Dahlin could alter the trajectory of this franchise, as well as give coach and Hall of Fame defenseman Phil Housley an enormously talented blueliner whom he can groom.

By winning the draft lottery, the Buffalo Sabres are in position to add Swedish defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, the consensus No. 1 ranked prospect for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. So what will the Sabres be getting in Dahlin, should they choose to take him No. 1 in June? Believed by many to be one of the best defensemen to enter the draft in the last decade -- if not longer -- Dahlin is a mature 18-year-old blueliner who is poised and creative with the puck on his stick. He is a smooth skater with high-end hockey sense and vision, making him solid at both ends of the ice. For reference, Dahlin's 0.49 points per game in the Swedish Hockey League this season, was identical to that of Victor Hedman in the same league in his draft year. Dahlin, who checks in at 6-2, 183, still needs to add some muscle and sharpen things defensively to maximize his potential, but his deficiencies are limited. Already having Jack Eichel in the mix and last year's first-round pick Casey Mittelstadt showing great potential, Dahlin should be the cornerstone defenseman Buffalo sorely needs. He won't fix everything right away, but that will be another great piece for the Sabres to build around should they do what everyone expects them to on the draft floor in June.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fpeters_chris.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Chris Peters, Special to ESPN
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What analysts and scouts are saying about Rasmus Dahlin

Joe DiBiase reporting
@DiBiaseWGR

The Buffalo Sabres will cash in on their lottery win at the NHL Draft in June. Jason Botterill will get up on the stage and announce Rasmus Dahlin as the next Buffalo Sabre in Dallas, Texas. The Sabres had just an 18.5% chance to pick first overall, but the balls bounced their way.

If you listen to the hype on Rasmus Dahlin, you'll quickly understand how big a get this is for the Sabres. Especially from those in the national media in both the United States and Canada.

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I booed Gary Betteman as soon as I saw his face.  Such a tool.

I'll never boo Bettman because he was one of the biggest reasons why the team was kept in Buffalo when it was going through a bankruptcy and auction. He was the authority behind the scenes who did everything he could to stabilize a franchise undergoing a financial calamity. At the time this very fragile franchise was being eyed by outside entities who wanted to swoop on its decaying carcass and move it to other locations. If the NHL had another commissioner who wanted a bigger market team and wasn't enamored with the situation here this team would have been relocated. Bettman deserves bouquets and not boos from the fans of the Sabres. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2015/08/10/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-lauded-for-keeping.html

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'll never boo Bettman because he was one of the biggest reasons why the team was kept in Buffalo when it was going through a bankruptcy and auction. He was the authority behind the scenes who did everything he could to stabilize a franchise undergoing a financial calamity. At the time this very fragile franchise was being eyed by outside entities who wanted to swoop on its decaying carcass and move it to other locations. If the NHL had another commissioner who wanted a bigger market team and wasn't enamored with the situation here this team would have been relocated. Bettman deserves bouquets and not boos from the fans of the Sabres. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2015/08/10/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-lauded-for-keeping.html

Yeah... He felt guilt, remorse for effing us over in 1999.  Keep the suckers hanging on the hook.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, JohnC said:

That's pretty much revisionist history, especially when you look at how long it took to get Winnipeg and Vegas online and why Quebec still doesn't have a team. 

Gary Betteman sucks.

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

That's pretty much revisionist history, especially when you look at how long it took to get Winnipeg and Vegas online and why Quebec still doesn't have a team. 

Gary Betteman sucks.

If the Sabres would have been moved they would have been gone for perpetuity. You don't have to be appreciative but I am. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Fully agree John. I have said the same thing myself numerous times. 

I was kind of pissed off when the Buffalo fans booed Bettman when the 2015 NHL entry draft was held here. We very well might not have an NHL team right now if not for him. 

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

The Sabres were NEVER moving.  EVER.

Had Hammister gotten the team it is possible theymay have moved on.  He was SERIOUSLY undercapitalized.  Can't see him having had a way to keep above water w/ the lockout only 1 full year after he'd've gotten them.

23 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The Sabres were NEVER moving.  EVER.

That's utter nonsense. The league took over the team. This team was vulnerable to being bought  by outside entities. He kept the ship floating and was insistent on trying to keep it in Buffalo before putting it up for a real auction with all bidders. 

26 linked a small blurb earlier but the other Swede D the Sabres signed was just named the best defenseman in the same league that Dahlin played in, as well as the best Swedish born player in the league, and led defensemen in scoring, and he's only 22. It remains to be seen how his game translates to the NHL but he could be an added attraction.

21 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

26 linked a small blurb earlier but the other Swede D the Sabres signed was just named the best defenseman in the same league that Dahlin played in, as well as the best Swedish born player in the league, and led defensemen in scoring, and he's only 22. It remains to be seen how his game translates to the NHL but he could be an added attraction.

That added attraction probably means that Antipin is a subtraction. 

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
36 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Kris Baker gave a quick break down on him at the end of the above segment.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Had Hammister gotten the team it is possible theymay have moved on.  He was SERIOUSLY undercapitalized.  Can't see him having had a way to keep above water w/ the lockout only 1 full year after he'd've gotten them.

Especially since his money guy wound up in prison. That would have gotten ugly really fast.