Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...need some solid goaltending as well.............

I know I'm in the minority on this but i dont think Lehner was our problem.  Our defensive zone play was horrific and our defenseman couldn't pass to save their lives.  Lehner did allow some cheap goals but overall I don't think he was the problem it was our defense and puck possesion.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I know I'm in the minority on this but i dont think Lehner was our problem.  Our defensive zone play was horrific and our defenseman couldn't pass to save their lives.  Lehner did allow some cheap goals but overall I don't think he was the problem it was our defense and puck possesion.

....hope you're right.....AHL Amerks' Ullmark was thought to be the future but took huge step backward, giving up 16 goals in 3 games of playoffs........

TSN: Sabres win top pick in NHL Draft; Habs move up to No. 3

TORONTO — The Buffalo Sabres will select first overall at the NHL Draft for the first time in 31 years after winning Saturday's lottery. Buffalo entered the lottery with the best odds at 18.5 per cent and become the 16th team to win the sweepstakes.

"It's awesome, it's a great feeling. I wasn't too nervous about the whole process," said Sabres general manager Jason Botterill. "I hope (the fans) are ecstatic. They've been extremely supportive. You felt in the building, a lot of quietness coming into the games, but whenever we did something they wanted to cheer, they wanted to be supportive."

The Sabres have picked first overall twice previously taking Pierre Turgeon in 1987 and selecting Gilbert Perreault in 1970.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....hope you're right.....AHL Amerks' Ullmark was thought to be the future but took huge step backward, giving up 16 goals in 3 games of playoffs........

Ya he did have a rough series but I think he will bounce back from that and be a full time NFL guy next season.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Sabres have a long way to go before they can be considered relevant again. I’m not even sure the league knows they’re still playing.

Kind of like Pittsburgh and Chicago did.  Then they had a couple high draft picks then won the lottery.  The rest is history.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

Something special is going on in Buffalo. 

Yeah, I had a good feeling this was going to happen. After ending the drought, I stopped thinking there would be a bad outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Allen better be great, because Dahlin is going to be incredible.  They will forever be compared.

Yes because we all remember how closely Tom Barasso and Jim Kelley's careers were intertwined after the '83 draft.   Or not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

TSN Hockey Mock Draft: Post-Lottery Edition
By Craig Button

The 2018 NHL Draft Lottery is in the books with the Buffalo Sabres winning the first-overall selection and taking Rasmus Dahlin.

Buffalo is looking at an elite franchise defenceman. He's to blueliners as what Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews are to centremen and what they were and are to their respective franchises.

A huge jump up to the second-overall selection should see the Carolina Hurricanes land winger Andrei Svechnikov. The Barrie Colts winger has a blend of skill, sense, power and drive that reminds me in style of Marian Hossa. Svechnikov is a factor in all areas of the game and will be in the NHL next season.

The Montreal Canadiens need offence and the third pick should be Filip Zadina of the Halifax Mooseheads. Zadina is an elite scoring winger who is dangerous from the circles down and competes to score inside the dots.