Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Especially since his money guy wound up in prison. That would have gotten ugly really fast. 

Oh yeah.  Definitely glad "ol' sugar packets" Golisano bought 'em.  Even with how bad 7/1/7 was it was better than having the Yotes at best.

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

That's utter nonsense. The league took over the team. This team was vulnerable to being bought  by outside entities. He kept the ship floating and was insistent on trying to keep it in Buffalo before putting it up for a real auction with all bidders. 

Sure it is, which is why so many non-profitable teams have moved on to better places since.  Right?

Betteman and the rest of the "decision makers" understand that Buffalo is an anchor hockey market.  There was zero chance that anyone sitting in that seat was going to let a team that basically invented "fans in the plaza" and consistently has the highest television numbers move when teams like Carolina, Florida, and Phoenix existed in the states they were in at that time.

There wasn't  ONE market that was even NHL ready, much less a better fit that Buffalo.  There still aren't any today, which is why QC is building a new arena.  Seattle had to promise the NHL to spend $600 MILLION just to renovate their arena (built in 1962) to be ready for 2020/21.  The Houston Rockets' owner back then wouldn't even entertain the idea of sharing his arena and revenue with an NHL team.  That's changed since the team was sold in 2017, but we're not talking about 2017.

I guess the Sabres were almost on their way to the Emerald City/QC/Houston but thanks to Gary Betteman, we were saved.  Sorry, not buying it one bit.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Sure it is, which is why so many non-profitable teams have moved on to better places since.  Right?

Betteman and the rest of the "decision makers" understand that Buffalo is an anchor hockey market.  There was zero chance that anyone sitting in that seat was going to let a team that basically invented "fans in the plaza" and consistently has the highest television numbers move when teams like Carolina, Florida, and Phoenix existed in the states they were in at that time.

There wasn't  ONE market that was even NHL ready, much less a better fit that Buffalo.  There still aren't any today, which is why QC is building a new arena.  Seattle had to promise the NHL to spend $600 MILLION just to renovate their arena (built in 1962) to be ready for 2020/21.  The Houston Rockets' owner back then wouldn't even entertain the idea of sharing his arena and revenue with an NHL team.  That's changed since the team was sold in 2017, but we're not talking about 2017.

I guess the Sabres were almost on their way to the Emerald City/QC/Houston but thanks to Gary Betteman, we were saved.  Sorry, not buying it one bit.

You and I are just going  to respectfully disagree. The assumptions you are making are based on the status of the team now rather than when it was in a very precarious financial state. The team was in a state of bankruptcy where it couldn't even meet its required cash/flow to function and continue to exist. The league was injecting money into the operation to keep it afloat. And some of the owners were not happy propping up the franchise. 

You seem to be portraying the franchise at that time as being an anchor franchise in the league. It wasn't. It was a failed business that required a convicted fraudster owner to intermingle money from his cable operation with his hockey operation. The irony is that what he was doing was illegal but kept the franchise hanging on when it should have collapsed. 

At the time there were some owners who were arguing to move the franchise and others arguing simply to dissolve the franchise/carcass and sell off the assets. Gary Bettman throughout that stressful period  was a mainstay force arguing to do what had to be done to keep the franchise in Buffalo. If you believe otherwise then so be it. You can boo him if you want but I'm not going to join you in disparaging a person who was instrumental in keeping the franchise in Buffalo. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You and I are just going  to respectfully disagree. The assumptions you are making are based on the status of the team now rather than when it was in a very precarious financial state. The team was in a state of bankruptcy where it couldn't even meet its required cash/flow to function and continue to exist. The league was injecting money into the operation to keep it afloat. And some of the owners were not happy propping up the franchise. 

You seem to be portraying the franchise at that time as being an anchor franchise in the league. It wasn't. It was a failed business that required a convicted fraudster owner to intermingle money from his cable operation with his hockey operation. The irony is that what he was doing was illegal but kept the franchise hanging on when it should have collapsed. 

At the time there were some owners who were arguing to move the franchise and others arguing simply to dissolve the franchise/carcass and sell off the assets. Gary Bettman throughout that stressful period  was a mainstay force arguing to do what had to be done to keep the franchise in Buffalo. If you believe otherwise then so be it. You can boo him if you want but I'm not going to join you in disparaging a person who was instrumental in keeping the franchise in Buffalo. 

I didn't say anything about anchor franchise.  I said anchor market. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bettman certainly stood by buffalo.  A lot of it was circumstance too. There are rumors that Jacobs forced him.  Bettman also does not act autonomously.  He is largely just a greaseman for the board of governors. 

Also I think there was some degree of loyalty that came from buffalo having opened a new arena not too long before.  Most of the teams who were relocated were done so due to the lack of taxpayer funded arenas.  Southern markets were actively offering sweetheart lease deals during the 90s, when it looked like the nhl was going to be in fashion.

In 2003, there weren't a lot (any?) Southern markets offering arenas.  Not a lot (any?) of potential owners offering top dollar to buy a team.  It was the dead puck era, and 3/4 of the league  was bleeding money.  No promise of a shared television deal.  The desired "footprint" in the us was largely fulfilled.

There was also a long-feared collective bargaining "armageddon" in the near future.  Salaries were getting out of whack, teams couldn't compete.  The nhl was seeking cost certainty with a salary cap attached to league revenue.  Buffalo is/was the poster child for the need for this.  If they had an oil tycoon from Houston as opposed to golisano in buffalo, it could be one more owner to break rank to give in to the nhlpa,like what happened in the early 90s.  If the owners gave in during the 04-05 stoppage, it would have been a disaster.  Plus, if there happened to be a bidding war with a large price tag for an nhl team, that would have hurt the NHL's doom and gloom position at the bargaining table

Edited by May Day 10

Just now, ChevyVanMiller said:

If he took anyone other than Dahlin he would be drawn and quartered and hung in effigy from the key Bank Arena.

Gotta keep up the facade of uncertainty for the purpose of intrigue. :)

14 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

If he took anyone other than Dahlin he would be drawn and quartered and hung in effigy from the key Bank Arena.

They have to slow play it.  Of course they're using the pick on Dahlin, but it's in their best interest to let people call them with offers.  If nothing else, it kick starts conversations for some other deals they may wind up making.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm with you on this.   

The TV ratings and fan support are just the tip of the iceburg.   Buffalo is almost like the eighth Canadian NHL team.   The 20%+ of Sabres season ticket holders who come over the bridges are important to the league...   

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The Buffalo market is far from being an anchor hockey market. Tickets this year on the sub market were going  for $10 and some bought tickets couldn't even be given away for free. When Toronto plays in Buffalo half the arena is from fans crossing the Peace Bridge. I'm a hardcore Buffalo fan but I'm not going to rate this market comparable to a legacy market.  

As I stated in my original posts Gary Bettman (the commissioner you boo) was instrumental in keeping this franchise in Buffalo when it was in jeopardy to be moved or dissolved. You disagree with that portrayal while I don't. Bettman can be a tiresome dullard but I'm forever  grateful for his support for the franchise when it was staggering. Because of that I will never boo him. 

Any US team, save the Rangers would see the same ticketing trend with this much ineptitude.  Most places it would be worse.  

with that said, the Sabres' market in 2003 was much different.  They had trouble at the turnstiles even during the 90s with some real exciting teams.  They sold out a bunch of games for the 98-2001 run, but their pants were pulled down when it was brought to light that Rigas would comp the heck out of tickets.  "Crowds" during the bankrupcy seasons(s) were sparse.

It wasnt Bettman being nice or doing us a favor though.  As I explained, there were various tactical/strategic reasons and other motivations that caused that.

I'm not a Bettman hater, really either, although I think the NHL desperately needs some new eyes at the steering wheel.

The Buffalo Sabres have gone seven straight seasons without making the playoffs, and finished with the worst record in the league in 2017-2018. That did come with a reward, however, as the Sabres won the draft lottery and have the first pick in 2018.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at a Sabres team that might finally be on the right track, or at least moving in that direction.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Buffalo market is far from being an anchor hockey market. Tickets this year on the sub market were going  for $10 and some bought tickets couldn't even be given away for free. When Toronto plays in Buffalo half the arena is from fans crossing the Peace Bridge. I'm a hardcore Buffalo fan but I'm not going to rate this market comparable to a legacy market.  

This is seriously the argument you're using?  Seven seasons without making the playoffs and 3 seasons during the period finishing at the very bottom of the league would be devastating to every market in every sport.  Somehow Buffalo still manages to be at the very top of NHL television ratings pretty much every season and is now starting to produce locally developed players who are getting drafted, which is probably because it's an anchor hockey market.  It's also why the NHL has hosted the draft, combine(s), World Juniors, multiple outdoor games, etc.  Jesus H. Christ...attendance stats for a historically bad team.  Really?

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

As I stated in my original posts Gary Bettman (the commissioner you boo) was instrumental in keeping this franchise in Buffalo when it was in jeopardy to be moved or dissolved. You disagree with that portrayal while I don't. Bettman can be a tiresome dullard but I'm forever  grateful for his support for the franchise when it was staggering. Because of that I will never boo him. 

You got one thing right:  He's a tiresome dullard.   He also had pretty much zero choice on supporting the franchise.  The next original thought Gary Bettman has will be his very first.

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

This is seriously the argument you're using?  Seven seasons without making the playoffs and 3 seasons during the period finishing at the very bottom of the league would be devastating to every market in every sport.  Somehow Buffalo still manages to be at the very top of NHL television ratings pretty much every season and is now starting to produce locally developed players who are getting drafted, which is probably because it's an anchor hockey market.  It's also why the NHL has hosted the draft, combine(s), World Juniors, multiple outdoor games, etc.  Jesus H. Christ...attendance stats for a historically bad team.  Really?

You got one thing right:  He's a tiresome dullard.   He also had pretty much zero choice on supporting the franchise.  The next original thought Gary Bettman has will be his very first.

If you believe that the Buffalo market is in the same strata as NY, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Montreal etc. then believe it. 

If you want to boo Bettman then go ahead and make yourself happy. For the reasons I have already stated I'm appreciative for what he has done for this franchise. At times I might be critical of him but because of his determined efforts to save the franchise I will never boo him.