Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Another wasted year.

Sooner or later things have to get better, yes?

Can only go up from here! I don’t think you guys are far off from a playoff run. In a couple of years (when the young guys mature) you guys will be fine. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Draft Lottery on April 28th
1 hour ago, GG said:

Can someone please explain the NHL/AHL rule to me?  Sabres just sent down 8 players to the Amerks for the playoffs, but not Mittlestadt.  Is he not eligible?

He is not eligible for the Amerks this season due to him his late signing of an NHL contract with the Sabres.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He is not eligible for the Amerks this season due to him his late signing of an NFL contract with the Sabres.

The pervasive draft talk on the football board has spilled over to the hockey board.. :)

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

And yet during a season when he says he lost his love for the game he broke the all-time record for faceoff wins - weird.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1522787

Yeah, but he gets to stand still for that one.  It's all that other stuff where you actually have to move where you need some motivation.:death:

Just now, ChevyVanMiller said:

And yet during a season when he says he lost his love for the game he broke the all-time record for faceoff wins - weird.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1522787

He lost his love for the game but wants to come back and be part of the solution?  I don't think anyone who intends to come back would admit such things, although I appreciate his honesty.

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

ROR is gone. @JohnCsee, if the Sabres , and you, had listened to me and traded Risto, ROR and Kane last year we would have been better this year! Oh well, takes the dumb guys a year to catch up to the smart guys( and by dumb guys I mean Sabres execs):lol:

There were reports that JBot had discussions with teams about ROR leading up to the trade deadline. My dream scenario is that we trade him, free up that cap space and use it to sign Tavares. 

Yeah, I know, I know...

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

ROR is gone. @JohnCsee, if the Sabres , and you, had listened to me and traded Risto, ROR and Kane last year we would have been better this year! Oh well, takes the dumb guys a year to catch up to the smart guys( and by dumb guys I mean Sabres execs):lol:

You give me too much credit. I'm dumber than you think. I'm so far behind you that it will take a generation to catch up to you even after you stop functioning. ROR is an appealing player on the market who has a contract that anchors him to the team he is currently with. Risto is more suited to be a good second pairing defenseman. Why blame him for the lack of talent on the blue line? I have very often stood up against the barbarians calling for the head of Kane. But the reality is that he is a physical player and a stat player who doesn't elevate the rest of his linemates. His market value was no where near what the hecklers believed it to be.

Put me on record that the slumbering Sabres will be invigorated with some tweaking and added youth and they will be in the playoffs next year. I am confident and I am resolute! Trust me on this prediction. Have I ever let you down? :ph34r:

On 4/7/2018 at 12:43 PM, bbb said:

Bulldog from GR's son got drafted by the Soo Grayhounds of the OHL.  That's pretty elite, isn't it?

Hell, that's Joe Thortons JRA team. Damn right they are elite! So elite I have a Soo Greyhound jersey!

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You give me too much credit. I'm dumber than you think. I'm so far behind you that it will take a generation to catch up to you even after you stop functioning. ROR is an appealing player on the market who has a contract that anchors him to the team he is currently with. Risto is more suited to be a good second pairing defenseman. Why blame him for the lack of talent on the blue line? I have very often stood up against the barbarians calling for the head of Kane. But the reality is that he is a physical player and a stat player who doesn't elevate the rest of his linemates. His market value was no where near what the hecklers believed it to be.

Put me on record that the slumbering Sabres will be invigorated with some tweaking and added youth and they will be in the playoffs next year. I am confident and I am resolute! Trust me on this prediction. Have I ever let you down? :ph34r:

I won't say it's easy to move, but I don't think the contract would be too bad.  It runs until he's 32, so not too old.  Then it was front loaded, so the cap hit is larger than the actual amount of money remaining to be paid.  You know what kind of teams are perfect for that, the one's trying to spend close to the floor.  I don't see any no movement or no trade clauses attached to it either, so there's another issue out of the way.  They'll find a taker if they do want to move him.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I won't say it's easy to move, but I don't think the contract would be too bad.  It runs until he's 32, so not too old.  Then it was front loaded, so the cap hit is larger than the actual amount of money remaining to be paid.  You know what kind of teams are perfect for that, the one's trying to spend close to the floor.  I don't see any no movement or no trade clauses attached to it either, so there's another issue out of the way.  They'll find a taker if they do want to move him.

The league is more of a speed league than it was a few years ago when the muscle teams thrived. He's a good player but won't be a first center on any good team. He can be moved but the return won't be as much as one would think.