Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think it is interesting how we over the course of a offseason lament the positions that are weak on the team

Then an opportunity presents itself to strengthen it and fans look for ways (not all fans) to talk themselves out of it

- Why get a quality vet WR? The QB wont use him...(what?)

- Better off saving our cap room for that fictional player that will be available to us next year

I still think there is a group of posters who do NOT want the bills bettering their lot because they want to to fail bad this next year improving the 1st round pick.

I think that it's that combined with being right in our evaluation of a certain player. If said player improves, whether because of his own play and/or better weapons, we will be wrong. A lot of people doubled down this offseason both prior to the extension and prior to the draft. They kept waiting for someone else to appear at the top of the depth chart and it didn't happen. The last thing that they want is that player to solidify that spot with a good year. We see a lot of "I'll cheer as hard as anybody...." or "I hope that I'm wrong..." or whatever. Human nature isn't to want to be wrong. I don't believe anyone actually means that. If you notice the people against this deal all happen to share a belief on a key member of the team. I really can't figure out though why someone would be against good players joining the Bills (especially when the cap is no issue)? JMO

Good post and I generally agree. It's not so much of an inferior complex as being realistic. Unless the Bills are throwing good money at him, why would his agent have Buffalo as his only visit?

You would think after being cut, he should shop around. Again, I hope you're right!

If he comes in on a 1 year deal because the SB contender aren't calling it's in the hopes that he can put up Sanders' numbers from last year with our OC, a worse run game, and a worse QB (79 Catches for 1,032 Yards and 5 TDs on 139 Targets)

Good post and I generally agree. It's not so much of an inferior complex as being realistic. Unless the Bills are throwing good money at him, why would his agent have Buffalo as his only visit?

You would think after being cut, he should shop around. Again, I hope you're right!

I agree with this too. If I were his agent I would definitely want to shop around. For Maclin though Buffalo will represent a good bit of comfort. He knows the coaches and one of his best friends is there. After what I'm sure is an emotionally scarring day he may not want to do a total "fresh start." Spend a year around people that you are comfortable with, have a good year and hit the open market with some leverage. It's hard at this point in the process to have too much leverage. Baltimore would love him but will have to make moves to be able to do that. The market is tough in June; the money is spent.

The mindset is asinine for a head coach in the NFL.... You really have 2 or 3 years to get things right. Tanking your first year is an awful idea.

I don't want a head coach who is ever part of a tank. I'll begrudgingly accept it from a GM.

In case you haven't noticed, our GM is essentially the head coach.

It wasn't necessarily meant to be reflective of the Bills' current front office structure. I can accept a GM, in the traditional sense of the front office position, tearing the bottom out of a lost season in the interest of the future of the team. I would never want a head coach who is complicit with intentionally losing.

We were 7-9 with a clown for a HC. We lost some players, added some players. We didn't get drastically worse anywhere so i don't see why we cant be at least where we were a year ago or better. I'm assuming McDermott feels the same way.

Yes, that's probably how he feels.

I just think it is interesting how we over the course of a offseason lament the positions that are weak on the team

Then an opportunity presents itself to strengthen it and fans look for ways (not all fans) to talk themselves out of it

- Why get a quality vet WR? The QB wont use him...(what?)

- Better off saving our cap room for that fictional player that will be available to us next year

I still think there is a group of posters who do NOT want the bills bettering their lot because they want to to fail bad this next year improving the 1st round pick.

Yes!

I do not understand some of the fans on this board with their "logic".

There's certainly a group of tank proponents on TSW that want to be all in on the 2018 QB class. It certainly seems as if OBD is not at all of that mindset.

I'm all in on the 2018 QB class, but I'm not for tanking.

The Bills have 2 first round picks next year, and they don't necessarily have to trade them to get a good QB.

Next year's class is deep with talent. It's not just 1 QB who is good next year.