Shady wants to catch more balls in Dennison offense

Shady's looking forward to catching more balls in the new offense.

“The running backs getting the ball in the passing game,” McCoy told reporters on Thursday. “That’s something I’ve been a part of, but it’s been a while since I’ve actually got the ball a lot in the air — we do a lot of that.."

He caught 50 balls last season and that's not little. Most he caught was 78. So he's looking for 70 catches or more next season? Is that a big deal? Not sure. He had third most in team with 50 last year. Clay was most on the team with 57. Can we get a receiver with 70+ catches a season first? lol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/26/lesean-mccoy-looks-forward-to-catching-passes-in-new-bills-offense/

yes. Dennison's offense is more like today's NFL offenses. No more ground and pound. Ball in the air a fair bit more. Should be exciting. Not sure our O Line is mobile enough for it or if the guys can practice it enough to get it down pat by September, but we will see. Go Bills.

Edited by jmcraig44

Wouldn't surprise me if he got more touches in the passing game. The screen game, whether RB or WR, has been non existent in both Roman and Lynns offense.

Youre right. Screen game was great when Chan was in town tho.

On a side note I know of a certain WR who thrives off the screen game. His name rhymes with Wammy Satkins. A lot of his college film was screen plays.

LeSean was interviewed on local stations and said he will have a lot more situations where he can run inside and pick his holes.

He followed up by saying everyone thinks he like to run to the outside but that many of his long runs were up the middle.

Gave praise to his Offensive Line and seemed genuinely excited about the potential to both run and catch the ball "like Arian Foster did" and who he has a lot of respect for...

Said he asked Coach why he brought "Rico" (Dennison) here and he said he disguises so many plays from the same formation - Defenses will not know what play is being run...

Getting McCoy (and Watkins, Clay) in open space could be Game Changers - Let's Do This Tyrod!

Shady's looking forward to catching more balls in the new offense.

“The running backs getting the ball in the passing game,” McCoy told reporters on Thursday. “That’s something I’ve been a part of, but it’s been a while since I’ve actually got the ball a lot in the air — we do a lot of that.."

He caught 50 balls last season and that's not little. Most he caught was 78. So he's looking for 70 catches or more next season? Is that a big deal? Not sure. He had third most in team with 50 last year. Clay was most on the team with 57. Can we get a receiver with 70+ catches a season first? lol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/26/lesean-mccoy-looks-forward-to-catching-passes-in-new-bills-offense/

been saying this since the beginning and was the reason the bills would target a quality wideout in the draft. dennison likes to spread the ball around and his receivers pile on the yards, last season two were at the 1000 yard level, something the bills haven't come close to in way too long.

LeSean was interviewed on local stations and said he will have a lot more situations where he can run inside and pick his holes.

He followed up by saying everyone thinks he like to run to the outside but that many of his long runs were up the middle.

Gave praise to his Offensive Line and seemed genuinely excited about the potential to both run and catch the ball "like Arian Foster did" and who he has a lot of respect for...

Said he asked Coach why he brought "Rico" (Dennison) here and he said he disguises so many plays from the same formation - Defenses will not know what play is being run...

Getting McCoy (and Watkins, Clay) in open space could be Game Changers - Let's Do This Tyrod!

Hallelujah!

Dennison was the best offensive hire possible for us. I've followed that guy over the years he is a great game caller, as good as Chan.

One thing I like about him is he's from the Mike Ditka school of not getting too cute, if a play is working he will run it frequently instead of worrying about the surprise factor (ala shanahan or petey 'the weenie' carroll)

Tyrod has to be pumped for this season.

Edited by Webster Guy

been saying this since the beginning and was the reason the bills would target a quality wideout in the draft. dennison likes to spread the ball around and his receivers pile on the yards, last season two were at the 1000 yard level, something the bills haven't come close to in way too long.

Yeah you and me both. Who was the last WR for Bills who caught a lot of balls? I'm sure it was with Fitz which is pretty sad.

yes. Dennison's offense is more like today's NFL offenses. No more ground and pound. Ball in the air a fair bit more. Should be exciting. Not sure our O Line is mobile enough for it or if the guys can practice it enough to get it down pat by September, but we will see. Go Bills.

jmc im not quite sure where your getting that....it seems to me that denver's offense runs the ball......a lot

jmc im not quite sure where your getting that....it seems to me that denver's offense runs the ball......a lot

We were pretty close to 50-50 whole Denver was 60-40 pass... so...

We were 31st in pass percentage while Denver was dead on average

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah you and me both. Who was the last WR for Bills who caught a lot of balls? I'm sure it was with Fitz which is pretty sad.

Pretty sure it was Stevie Johnson with Fitz (82, 76 and 79 catches with over 1000 yards in 2010-2012) and the two of them just appeared to have good chemistry and Fitz seemed to understand where Stevie would find space, It is amazing that when a WR manages to stay healthy,even he does not work that hard on it during offseason, he is able to get a lot of catches and yards.

Dennison was the best offensive hire possible for us. I've followed that guy over the years he is a great game caller, as good as Chan.

One thing I like about him is he's from the Mike Ditka school of not getting too cute, if a play is working he will run it frequently instead of worrying about the surprise factor (ala shanahan or petey 'the weenie' carroll)

Tyrod has to be pumped for this season.

Interesting note about the "cute" factor. thanks.

i am really looking forward to watching and studying this offense as soon the season starts

and i laughed out lout at the Petey the weeney reference !!

Youre right. Screen game was great when Chan was in town tho.

On a side note I know of a certain WR who thrives off the screen game. His name rhymes with Wammy Satkins. A lot of his college film was screen plays.

Yep!

YAC Baby !

Pretty sure it was Stevie Johnson with Fitz (82, 76 and 79 catches with over 1000 yards in 2010-2012) and the two of them just appeared to have good chemistry and Fitz seemed to understand where Stevie would find space, It is amazing that when a WR manages to stay healthy,even he does not work that hard on it during offseason, he is able to get a lot of catches and yards.

Isn't that sad, last receiver with that many balls was good old stevie with his harky jerky moves. I hope the two WRs we got stay healthy. Can you imagine this running game with a real passing game. I hope Dennison can turn Tyrod into a passer. All MacD has to do is hold up his end and this team would be very competitive. It was competitive against very good teams at times last year let's admit it. The team was just lacking consistency. Despite all the wankers wanking over Whaley there is a lot of talent on this team.

Dink, dunk, hit them over the top. That is the NFL. That is what they need to do in the passing game. And it can be in so many variations. They can dink and dunk to Sammy on screens, and hit Shady or Clay deep just as easily as letting Sammy go deep.

TT just needs to get better at delivering the ball in spots where whoever catches the ball can make a play. 3 yards needs to be the potential for 8 or 12 or 15. Even the TT believers like myself know he needs to get better in this phase of the passing game.

TT can't even audible, how the hell is he going to play better in a system that puts more weight on his shoulders as a passer.. Brady goes through 3 reads and sometimes more before he gets the ball out. I can honestly say I have never seen TT do more than 2 and get the ball to his target.

A bit off-topic but 2 of 9 NFL.com experts are picking Shady to win the rushing title this year in Dennison's zone-blocking scheme:

Bills built to let Shady shine

Shady McCoy will lead the NFL in rushing. The Buffalo Bills will continue to be a ground-and-pound team. Even though a new coaching staff is coming over, Rick Dennison is bringing in a zone-based system that has really helped running backs flourish. McCoy is a perfect fit in the I-formation and should have a lot of success behind a big offensive line. Plus, defensive-minded head coach Sean McDermott wants to make sure the offense controls the ball and keeps the defense off the field.

In Buffalo's new offense, LeSean McCoy is poised to claim his second rushing crown

We haven't had a repeat winner in this category since NFL Network's own LaDainian Tomlinson did it in 2006 and 2007. So, keeping with that trend, I'll give my vote to LeSean McCoy. Shady will be the focal point of a Buffalo offense that is now being run by Rick Dennison, who did remarkable things as the offensive coordinator for Arian Foster back in Houston.

When taking a stab at projecting the rushing leader, my thought process is to find a talented back in a solid offense who should see a high number of touches. McCoy checks all those boxes and has thrived in a brand new offense before: Shady led the league in rushing in 2013, his first year with Chip Kelly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000811091/article/2017-rushing-title-predictions-will-ezekiel-elliott-keep-the-rb-throne

Edited by hondo in seattle