Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

Does anyone really think Sammy will be here after this year? I say not a chance and that is the reason I believe they should get a trade done as soon as possible.

This.

Under what scenario does Sammy come back to Buffalo beyond 2018? The Bills can franchise him next year but all that would do would be paying $16+mil for a 1 year rental. If he misses significant playing time this year are the Bills going to re-sign him long term? If they're already concerned about injury, I have to think one more injury would be the end of his career here? If he plays all 16 games is that going to be enough for the Bills to go from not being comfortable giving him $13mil to being comfortable giving him a $100-$120mil contract? I don't really see that either..

If we can get a 1st for him trade him. He's worth more than that (IMO) but it beats losing him in the future for nothing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

Under what scenario does Sammy come back to Buffalo beyond 2018? The Bills can franchise him next year but all that would do would be paying $16+mil for a 1 year rental. If he misses significant playing time this year are the Bills going to re-sign him long term? If they're already concerned about injury, I have to think one more injury would be the end of his career here? If he plays all 16 games is that going to be enough for the Bills to go from not being comfortable giving him $13mil to being comfortable giving him a $100-$120mil contract? I don't really see that either..

If we can get a 1st for him trade him. He's worth more than that (IMO) but it beats losing him in the future for nothing.

He shows this year he's healed up, has a great year under Dennison. There's a scenario where he gets a long term deal.

This.

...laying out all the variables as you did, what GM pulls the trade trigger now for a 1st or 2nd?......why would he inherit those SAME variables?.....

Watkins sucks? A bust? Dump him? I want everyone pushing that to consider what they would feel when you read this headline.

"Super Bowl Champion Patriots sign Sammy Watkins"

:cry:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think I would start talks at two 2nd rounders, with one being conditional (potential of becoming a 1st and 2nd rounder if Sammy exceeds 1000 yds)...anything less I say no.

And I actually think that would be a fair deal for the other team too...if Sammy gets under 1000 yards, it's only two 2nd rounders...this is where i am at right now, but it could change.

Not to shabby an approach and to my liking at this point.

No reason to not do the math exercise.

Does anyone really think Sammy will be here after this year? I say not a chance and that is the reason I believe they should get a trade done as soon as possible.

totally agree. no chance hes here next year. get something for him,

he cost 2 firsts and they have gotten nothing in return.

Watkins sucks? A bust? Dump him? I want everyone pushing that to consider what they would feel when you read this headline.

....LMAO.....and they win AGAIN......remember you're dealing with the "One & Done Gang".......that's all you get......wasn't Darby declared a BUST in pre-season game because he got torched as a rook in ONE game?....tough crowd Promo....real tough.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I think that you hit on what a lot of people were missing. They start talking about all of these other receivers from the draft that have played well. At the time of the draft only Evans was considered in his league and probably less than 1 out of 20 would have ranked Evans higher. Watkins was an ELITE prospect with a high ceiling and a high floor. He was clean on the medical end and had just a small off the field issue (think it was weed as a young player). He had just come off of a game where he ANNAHILATED an elite OSU secondary. Watkins was the highest graded player on many teams board in 2014 and higher than any prospect in 2013. He was, by many accounts, the best player to come out between the end of the 2012 draft and the start of the 2015 draft. He was considered the best receiver prospect since Julio and AJ Green and graded out similarly.

Since coming into the league he has had some nagging injuries but that is bad luck. We didn't know that coming out. When he has been thrown the ball he has performed like the prospect that he was. The Bills need to get him healthy and to throw him the ball 10 times a game. if you do that he will unquestionably be a star.

It is very important to bring this context to the table.

Going into the draft this Kid was as desirable as hell for multiple reasonings.

He has the 4th most yards in NFL history before his 24th birthday. How does that work for you?

He has played in 77% of the games, Julio Jones was at 70.8% at the same point in his career. You must have hated him through 3 years.

The last 9 games of the 2015 season he was the 4th most targeted receiver. He had the most yards in the league over that span. He wasn't elite at that point? (Credit to Bandit for some of these).

FWIW, within the league they are not using gross stats because they aren't a bunch of simpletons. The 1st thing that they do is look at what you do with each opportunity. That's why Mike Gillislee got $4M this offseason. His YPC was phenomenal.

We just need stop analyzing things with "what we think we are seeing" and start looking at the facts. He has been elite when thrown the ball. That's all that a receiver can do. Now he needs to get healthy and see the ball more for sure. If those things happen there is no reason to expect the production to be much different.

And now you are making up fake facts.

First Sammy is still 23 for a couple weeks.

Second 5 WR's that were drafted the same year as Sammy have more yards than he does before they turned 24 also. So you're wrong. Are you intentionally trying to deceive people here?

OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans and Brandin Cooks all had more yards than Sammy before their 24th birthday.

And despite missing more time than Sammy in his first 3 years Julio Jones still had more receptions, yards and TD's than Sammy. Are you seeing the trend?

Edited by CaliBills92

With all due respect

Dont you think that is why they did not pick up his option? They want to see what he is healthy before committing big money to him? And 3 million dollars difference is really not that much when we are talking about the higher caliber players.

We will have a better understanding of what Sammy is after this year......right now he is a blue chip talent player who has had injury issues.

This is fair and balanced

I am still trying to find out how the " Sammy doesn't want to play with Buffalo " rumor started......

This is a good question.

Because i get the "vibe " he has been unhappy here.

Maybe it was the twitter stuff.

Maybe it was the "being more responsible and focused " stuff recently blurted by TT.

Maybe it's just

what? is Brady going to taken even less money so they can sign him?

they spent most of their wad this off season.

Second 5 WR's that were drafted the same year as Sammy have more yards than he does before they turned 24 also. So you're wrong. Are you intentionally trying to deceive people here?

OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans and Brandin Cooks all had more yards than Sammy before their 24th birthday.

And despite missing more time than Sammy in his first 3 years Julio Jones still had more receptions, yards and TD's than Sammy. Are you seeing the trend?

He also had the benefit of playing with Matt Ryan. 34 games with 174 catches for 2787 yards and 20 TDs for Julio on 282 targets. 37 games for Sammy with 153 catches for 2459 yards and 17 TDs on 276 targets. Sammy's in the ball park with regard to production in the 1st three seasons despite having a far worse QB situation and less opportunities on a per game basis.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This is a good question.

Because i get the "vibe " he has been unhappy here.

Maybe it was the twitter stuff.

Maybe it was the "being more responsible and focused " stuff recently blurted by TT.

Maybe it's just

I knew Boston was involved one way or another !!

I pulled it from here. Maybe it is from before last season? Landry turned 24 last season so maybe it is before that birthday season. Maybe Bandit can clarify? http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/194184-rumor-bills-will-entertain-trade-offers-for-watkins/?p=4393125

Either way his per target performance has been really strong. Throw him the ball and good things happen.

In terms of Julio the stats are very similar through 3 years. Watkins played in a few more games but Jones still had more targets.

Kraft has his filthy mitts everywhere you don't want them to be.

Thanks for the chuckle Iron !!

....ditto....but without FIVE Lombardis, Kraft would be of no significance whose name as an NFL owner would be as readily known(COUGH) as the guy who owns the Jags, right?..............

I really don't see any reason to trade Watkins at this time... A more plausible situation happens after the season if Watkins has say 800yds receiving and say 7-8TDs and say the Bills finish at 6-10 or 7-9... To move into one of the top 3 picks in next years draft, do the Bills offer both 1st rd picks and Watkins? That could be a more likely scenario down the road... Unless of course some big name receiver goes down in the preseason or early this season and someone gets desperate enough to make the Bills a stupid offer...

Edited by DefenseWins