Game of Thrones: Season 7

/dev/null

I don't buy the Bran is the NK theory, but also I hope the endgame of his role and abilities isn't simply so Jon knows his lineage. I think he'll have a big part to play in the final events.

I still understand Jon to be dead and brought back by Mellisandre (her a servent of a deity) until his role is fulfilled. I have always thought Jon will be humanity's savior against the dead, but also that once the battle is over his role will be fulfilled and will cease being alive. I figured this would lead into a dramtic martyr type situation where Jon will sacrifice himself to save mankind.

Martin, for what it's worth, has criticized Tolkien for making death negotiable. He references Gandolf and the Balrog, and although that isn't really a good argument considering Gandolf is not a human in Tolkien's universe, it does provide insight into how Martin may have wanted to deal with Jon. Just my opinion.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy the Bran is the NK theory, but also I hope the endgame of his role and abilities isn't simply so Jon knows his lineage. I think he'll have a big part to play in the final events.

I still understand Jon to be dead and brought back by Mellisandre (her a servent of a deity) until his role is fulfilled. I have always thought Jon will be humanity's savior against the dead, but also that once the battle is over his role will be fulfilled and will cease being alive. I figured this would lead into a dramtic martyr type situation where Jon will sacrifice himself to save mankind.

Martin, for what it's worth, has criticized Tolkien for making death negotiable. He references Gandolf and the Balrog, and although that isn't really a good argument considering Gandolf is not a human in Tolkien's universe, it does provide insight into how Martin may have wanted to deal with Jon. Just my opinion.

It's a theory I guess...but Jon is still aging and will die. So even if death is non-negotiable it doesn't preclude him living past the war.

What happened with Hodor going insane?

Maybe the Night King is not "Bran," per se, but some stuck version of Bran.

It's an out there theory and the white walker army marching in wolf formation is probably more of an easter egg wink than a reveal, but we have to fill the next 18 months doing something.

The Wolf formation makes sense even if he isn't Bran since we know the Night King was once a Stark.

The Wolf formation makes sense even if he isn't Bran since we know the Night King was once a Stark.

Do we know that? Just because the Night King was one of the First Men doesn't mean he was a Stark. He's probably related to them somehow though.

Do we know that? Just because the Night King was one of the First Men doesn't mean he was a Stark. He's probably related to them somehow though.

I forget if it's the books or the show, but Nan said in one of her stories that it was a Stark. Though she could have been embellishing.

I forget if it's the books or the show, but Nan said in one of her stories that it was a Stark. Though she could have been embellishing.

You're thinking of the Night's King.

I thought he was a Boojum? Since, you know, common Starks do no manner of harm.

(Thank you, I'll be here all night, try the veal.)

If Bran winds up being the Night King it will feel gimmicky. Hope that's not the plan.

I don't see that at all and if they do it right it would be a cool reveal if they do it right. I don't think Bran is the Night King though and their relationship next season may be similar to' a Harry Potter/ Lord Voldemort type relationship.

Alright, after hiding from the Internet and world since Sunday, I finally got around to watching the season finale.

I have read through this thread and there are a few plotlines I haven't seen many comments on:

1). What is Jaime going to end up doing?

2). When LittleFinger was being accused, I thought for a moment he was going to demand a trial by combat. For a nano moment I thought it was even going to be him vs Ariya. Any think this?

3). When they had the meeting in the beginning of the episode, couldn't one of the dragons just have fried Cersei and all Lannister leadership? I know this wouldnt accomplish their goals of fighting the army of the dead. But once Cersei said no deal why not fry them then?

4). After the Tyrion/ Cersei discussion and the decision to work together, why separate your teams and make separate plans? At that point it would've made sense to consolidate armies and plan a strategy together?

5). How did Cersei and Euron have the plan for him to go get the mercenaries? He stormed off only after seeing the whitewalker. Did they know that thing was coming?

Might have some more thoughts after some rest. Thanks for the help.

Alright, after hiding from the Internet and world since Sunday, I finally got around to watching the season finale.

I have read through this thread and there are a few plotlines I haven't seen many comments on:

2). When LittleFinger was being accused, I thought for a moment he was going to demand a trial by combat. For a nano moment I thought it was even going to be him vs Ariya. Any think this?

3). When they had the meeting in the beginning of the episode, couldn't one of the dragons just have fried Cersei and all Lannister leadership? I know this wouldnt accomplish their goals of fighting the army of the dead. But once Cersei said no deal why not fry them then?

4). After the Tyrion/ Cersei discussion and the decision to work together, why separate your teams and make separate plans? At that point it would've made sense to consolidate armies and plan a strategy together?

5). How did Cersei and Euron have the plan for him to go get the mercenaries? He stormed off only after seeing the whitewalker. Did they know that thing was coming?

1.) He's likely going to go North and join Dany/Jon. Things may get a little awkward with Bran though.

2.) I don't think Littlefinger is much of a fighter so he was screwed no matter what.

3.) She could have but Dany's making a point to be not to be like her father. I still would of fried them though.

4.) Because Cersei knows Dany will eventually go for the Iron Throne if they did join forces and beat the Army of the dead. Her best chance at staying queen is hoping Jon/Dany defeat the Army of the dead, but suffer massive casualties so her forces can than beat Dany's.

5.) The plan all along was to make it look like Euron broke her alliance with Cersei to make Jon/Dany underestimate Cersei in the long run. The mercenaries were sought out by Cersei through the Iron bank after the Lannister army faced massive causalities returning from High Garden. They would of pry went through with the plan even if Jon's wight powerpoint presentation wasn't given.

1) Jaime is keeping his oath to march north, even if it's by himself.

2) For a second, I wanted Littlefinger to summon the guards to defend him and have Arya go Hitgirl on a room full of soldiers

3a) Dany's crew were surrounded. Had Cersie been fried, then everyone in the arena would have been slaughtered. Even if they escaped, the armies would begin fighting each other. The ultimate goal was to have a big enough army to fight the dead. Losing soldiers when it can be avoided was not an option. The backup plan was probably to march north anyway and hope they don't get attacked along the way.

3b)Cersie could have slaughtered the entire rebel leadership and won the war. Although it would have probably meant the destruction of King's landing. Being true to her character, she would have an escape plan and just leave the city to burn.

4) The strategy was to meet at Winterfel and make plans there. Everyone was taking different routes. This is common for large armies that could move at different speeds; including the US military. However, it would have made a lot of sense for the leadership to travel together and plan on the way.... but Dany and Jon wanted some privacy.

5) Euron's plan was to find a way to storm off on his own. Probably the reason he picked a fight with Reek to start. However, the scene was so well acted that it made it confusing. So either Euron is a good actor, or the tv show actor should have toned down his performance and given a hint to the double-cross.

Edited by unbillievable

1) Die saving someone, likely Brienne or Dany/John completing his path of redemption. Alternately, die killing someone (Cersei), completing his path of redemption.

2) That did flash through my mind. Arya is smaller than him, so it would probably be an even fight.

3) They could have broken the parlay truce, but it is against all civilized protocol. To this point I really wanted a shot to show the relative positions of the armies. I suspect it was even-distance from each army and likely meant either side betraying would likely be killed themselves.

4) This was fine, I think. They agreed the urgency was to get North. But still, you are right that a swapping of some men as pseudo-hostages would have made sense.

5) I think they agreed for Euron to be belligerent and end off storming off one way or another by the end off the meeting.

Have you watched this season?

Arya went toe to toe with Beienne who is much larger than Littlefinger. Same result same amount of time.

Yes, that was humor. I don't think a trial by combat would have lasted any longer than his execution did.

That Brienne / Arya fight scene may be my favorite of the series. I am not sure GRRM will allow such a homecoming at Winterfell. It was hugely satisfying.

1) Die saving someone, likely Brienne or Dany/John completing his path of redemption. Alternately, die killing someone (Cersei), completing his path of redemption.

2) That did flash through my mind. Arya is smaller than him, so it would probably be an even fight.

3) They could have broken the parlay truce, but it is against all civilized protocol. To this point I really wanted a shot to show the relative positions of the armies. I suspect it was even-distance from each army and likely meant either side betraying would likely be killed themselves.

4) This was fine, I think. They agreed the urgency was to get North. But still, you are right that a swapping of some men as pseudo-hostages would have made sense.

5) I think they agreed for Euron to be belligerent and end off storming off one way or another by the end off the meeting.

While I also thought at that exact time that might be what littlefinger was gonna ask for...in no way was that going to be a even fight....did you see little cute death ninja sparing with huge blonde amazon check earlier? And huge blonde amazon chick kicked the hounds ass

Yes, that was humor. I don't think a trial by combat would have lasted any longer than his execution did.

That Brienne / Arya fight scene may be my favorite of the series. I am not sure GRRM will allow such a homecoming at Winterfell. It was hugely satisfying.

Sorry...I posted before I read the whole thread