5-22: Whaley Will Speak on SiriusXM NFL

Whaley went out with class. Thats speaks worlds about his relations with the Pegulas to me.

I might assume the Pegulas also felt need to clean house and his reset. Seems a like a lot infighting, or at least that was the undertone i picked up on.

They grabbed Sean who has a strong clear, and precise vision. The connections to make it happen.

Does not mean he will succeed though.

I appreciate continuity of vision and effort. Sean offers that to the Pegulas.

Hit a reset from what had turned into a clusterf==k.

Best wishes to Whaley

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree wholeheartedly. Bills would be in playoffs with Hue Jackson as coach. Just my opinion, please dont' t have a meltdown, Rangers.

I wish Whaley the best and hope he enjoys life.

If Schwartz stuck around and we hired Jackson, it would've been for the best. Getting rid of Marrone's Run-Run-Pass-Punt offense was huge, bringing in Rex's "antiquated" mess was also huge.

I think you would be surprised with how many folks are also just hoping they got the hire right on accident.

For the well oiled machine I don't expect anything of the sorts. I expect a lackluster start to the season and I will be looking for some mid-late season progress that could make me optimistic for 18'. New schemes, coaches, down roster, and personnel fits have me leaning low on the season win total.

Whaley is gone and that's a huge plus, somewhere in this thread or the other Whaley they had an excerpt of his excuse making. Tom Brady took less money the Pats have added flexibility yada yada, no one asked you to turn OBD into Patriots Place, drafted like a fan and whined like one to.

A recent event that has puzzled me is the Jason Botterill hire by the Sabres and the Pegulas. It does not seem to match the Lafontaine, Ryan, and McDermott hires. On the surface it looks like a smart hire where they interviewed the top candidates and came out with a good hire. The only theory that I have is that the Bills chaos allowed the Sabres to not get the same "attention" the Bills were getting.

Nice post.

I didn't start calling for Whaley's head until after the halfway point of his 3rd season as GM, and McD/Beane will be no different if they also fail.

I am going to hold you to that Brother !!

and that is as reasonable as we can be I think :thumbsup:

Whaley went out with class. Thats speaks worlds about his relations with the Pegulas to me.

I might assume the Pegulas also felt need to clean house and his reset. Seems a like a lot infighting, or at least that was the undertone i picked up on.

They grabbed Sean who has a strong clear, and precise vision. The connections to make it happen.

Does not mean he will succeed though.

I appreciate continuity of vision and effort. Sean offers that to the Pegulas.

Hit a reset from what had turned into a clusterf==k.

Best wishes to Whaley

He was hired by Brandon - then the ownership transition. Inherited a mediocre team, and left us a mediocre team. Had multiple bosses, some success, and some failures.

I think he knew he was done after that disaster press conference.

Agree wholeheartedly. Bills would be in playoffs with Hue Jackson as coach. Just my opinion, please dont' t have a meltdown, Rangers.

Is that with EJ as starting QB? There's less than 50% chance Tyrod joins the Bills over Broncos if Rex doesn't help in the recruiting.

It's all guessing but I do believe Whaley as GM would have broken the drought in 2015 or 2016 if he got Hue Jackson or Kyle Shanahan. We will never know and I was not a huge Whaley fan anyway. But for those who dismiss him as terrible I do think he got a raw deal with Rex forced on him.

He was hired by Brandon - then the ownership transition. Inherited a mediocre team, and left us a mediocre team. Had multiple bosses, some success, and some failures.

I think he knew he was done after that disaster press conference.

I am sure he felt dramatic change was coming.

Pegulas are of course at fault how the messages got so mixed within OBD.

But their character was not the reason for the mess.

Are we about to go into the zone where Tyrod took a paycut because he loved Buffalo and he BILLIEVED?

If you are making the case that the Buffalo News report by Carucci was wrong please point out what you believe was inaccurate and support it with other reporting or invalidate it using logical argument.

I'm not trying to get into a petty argument here. Your opinion is that the Pegula's are idiots, I guess I disagree with that sentiment. I hope that they learned from their initial mistakes.

They don't seem to meddle in day-to-day operations of the team - IE the Nets owner forcing the GM into a horrible trade, or Jerrah Jones just getting involved in every aspect of talent evaluation. They made a mistake of pairing a coach and GM together with no history, and tried to keep the status quo. GM evaluates/signs players and handles the roster, and the coach handles the coaching. They should've used Marrone leaving as an opportunity to build the organization from the ground up.

Mcdermott seems to have a vision of what his team will be, and wanted to bring in a GM who shares and can help achieve that vision. I hope that they looked at his experience, and more importantly that vision when they evaluated him as a candidate. That IS my opinion.

Edited by dneveu

I'm not trying to get into a petty argument here. Your opinion is that the Pegula's are idiots, I guess I disagree with that sentiment. I hope that they learned from their initial mistakes.

They don't seem to meddle in day-to-day operations of the team - IE the Nets owner forcing the GM into a horrible trade, or Jerrah Jones just getting involved in every aspect of talent evaluation. They made a mistake of pairing a coach and GM together with no history, and tried to keep the status quo. GM evaluates/signs players and handles the roster, and the coach handles the coaching. They should've used Marrone leaving as an opportunity to build the organization from the ground up.

Mcdermott seems to have a vision of what his team will be, and wanted to bring in a GM who shares and can help achieve that vision. I hope that they looked at his experience, and more importantly that vision when they evaluated him as a candidate. That IS my opinion.

That Nets trade was GREAT!

I agree with this. The real games will start soon and all the tea leaves can be discarded as we will have real games to digest.

Well, Peterman was a fifth round pick. EJ was a first round bust. Big difference in accountability.

Is it though? Doesn't that mean McDermott was unwilling to value the position as a need?

Just playing devils advocate here for when people start making up reasons to hate the current management.

.@VicCarucci: Doug Whaley might have been reaching on self-congratulations over Darby pick. #bills http://bit.ly/2qLrYnC

LMAO. How can anyone say the Buffalo News doesn't have it out for Whaley? He must've pissed them off royally either at the infamous press conference or in some other manner.

Is it though? Doesn't that mean McDermott was unwilling to value the position as a need?

Just playing devils advocate here for when people start making up reasons to hate the current management.

LMAO. How can anyone say the Buffalo News doesn't have it out for Whaley? He must've pissed them off royally either at the infamous press conference or in some other manner.

Vic was kind of harsh with this one.

Always seemed like a good guy who was a pretty decent scout and shouldn't have been promoted past that point. By all accounts he wasn't a great leader or communicator. I don't hold it against him that he was promoted beyond his abilities. Would have been nice to have just cleaned house when the Pegulas took ownership of the team, but at least they are making moves now.

It's all guessing but I do believe Whaley as GM would have broken the drought in 2015 or 2016 if he got Hue Jackson or Kyle Shanahan. We will never know and I was not a huge Whaley fan anyway. But for those who dismiss him as terrible I do think he got a raw deal with Rex forced on him.

I can believe that Rex wasn't Whaley's first choice, but I don't think he was willing to rock the boat by disagreeing with Brandon & the Pegulas. A shame if that's the way it went, as his opinion on that matter should've carried far more weight than anyone's in that room. He could've pointed out to them that Rex's D hadn't actually been very good in a few years, and that we had the players for a top 3 unit in a different system. He could've busted out the old "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" to make his pitch more relatable. If they didn't listen to him & hired Rex anyway, it would've been clear soon enough that Whaley knew what he was talking about. Instead, we got to hear him tell the world about how finding Rex was like finding the person you're going to marry, and how they were so in sync on team building that they could finish each other's sentences. What might've been...

My conclusions are based on the the extensive reports on the hiring process for all three individuals. It is the people who assume the Pegulas can't make mistakes because they are rich who are backing up a position not supported by the evidence.

You ignore facts that don't support your opinion. The league has a committee that recommends names for HC interviews. Polian and Dungy are in it. And McDermott was a guy they saw as an excellent candidate.

Was also told, when McDermott was hired Whaley was in control.

We saw that quickly not to be true.

You can piecemeal whatever you want with media speculation. However, even if something was said on Monday, doesn't mean that it will hold true on Tuesday.

To me Whaley was clearly a well regarded eye for talent. Was groomed to be a GM, and who knows if he ever got to have full control or not.

We do know that, thay said eye for talent never traslated into a winning culture here.

Edited by BillsFan17

its like they were all ordered to write a negative article

I can believe that Rex wasn't Whaley's first choice, but I don't think he was willing to rock the boat by disagreeing with Brandon & the Pegulas. A shame if that's the way it went, as his opinion on that matter should've carried far more weight than anyone's in that room. He could've pointed out to them that Rex's D hadn't actually been very good in a few years, and that we had the players for a top 3 unit in a different system. He could've busted out the old "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" to make his pitch more relatable. If they didn't listen to him & hired Rex anyway, it would've been clear soon enough that Whaley knew what he was talking about. Instead, we got to hear him tell the world about how finding Rex was like finding the person you're going to marry, and how they were so in sync on team building that they could finish each other's sentences. What might've been...

****ing five star post