My main reason for feeling optimistic going into 2017..

On any given day. I like Jerseys additude. I would like to see how many games we lost because the "D" was wiped in the fourth quarter. I really think a better "D" will make us 10-6 or 9-7 and a prayer to make the playoffs. We have a lot of unknowns so it should be fun. New coaches will have plenty of time to get this team ready so there is no reason to have to wait for next year. Go Bills.

i think this staff is going to have this team ready by september.

2 minute drills it is very little about the play calling. You have to be able to pass the ball when the other team KNOWS you are throwing. Tyrod struggles at the end of the game or in two minute drills. The reason is Tyrod is not a very good passer. In order for him to succeed he needs to be protected by a strong running game but the end of a game is where that crutch gets taken away and the results are not pretty.

two minute drills were nonexistent last year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time we played them, yes, they were in a tailspin. But at this time last year, they were an up & comer with a great DLine. This is to the point of the thread. We really don't know in the off season what teams will be dynamic and who will flop -with just a couple exceptions..

Actually, if anything I thought the Rams were a better team the week before we played them then I did prior to the season starting. They had managed an upset of the Seahawks and had a winning record going into the game. But even then, their offense was so bad, dead last by a good margin, that I was expecting a win still going into the game.

Better examples are the Cardinals and Patriots.

The Bills still have too many holes to expect to win 10 games in 2017. They have big gaping holes at OLB, S, and even at CB. The Dennison offense requires TWO high quality TEs, but the Bills only have one.

I think an upgrade is needed at #2 RB as well since J. Williams did not show much last year.

Ideally, the pass rush would need to be upgraded as well. How good is Sh. Lawson?? R. Davis?? We really don't know.

New offensive system and new defensive system to adjust to. Those are big question marks. McD may need some time to acquire the types of players that he needs to play within those systems well.

I do think that T. Taylor is a much better QB than most people think he is. In a new offensive system, which I think will suit him well, Taylor could really break out this year and become a steady top 10 QB.

The whole thing about "we lost x games by less than x points" is a red herring. It's just the bell curve in action. Most NFL games are won or lost by seven or less points. It's not a point of honor to lose by relatively little. It just means you lost. That's all. You can go to nearly every team in the league nearly every year and they can say the same thing.

That's a valid point.

I guess what I was getting at is that we were competitive in most those games. A lot of times a team might Win by 6-7 but the game was over with 5+ minutes in the 4th..

A bruised , undisciplined Bills team was in nearly every game, and I just feel optimistic that those last minute losses can turn to W''s with this talent and the way the coaching staff utilize the talent.

Watkins and Dareus come to mind as special talents that SHOULD have bounce back years, I also don't feel we lost much, Gilmore was above average imo, not elite,his production can be replaced, and I disn't like letting Corey Graham go personally but I love the Hyde signing.

With all the negativity around here (the 17 years is wearing on me too), I just wanted to remind folks that there is a lot to be excited and optimistic about.

Tyrod was a train wreck against Oakland lol. Defense held raiders down for 3 quarters and tyrod couldn't get a first down.

3 and out 3 straight times then 4 and fumble. He was why we lost.

That's half true. Both were to blame. Tyrod had arguably his best 1st Quarter of his career in that game. The other quarter and half he didn't do much but also didn't need to do much as we still built a 15 point lead. The final quarter and a half he was dreadful as was the defense.

IIRC, the Raiders offense couldn't get out of their way in the first quarter of that game. Dropped pass after dropped pass and a couple boneheaded penalties. So it wasn't so much the defense holding the Raiders down it was the Raiders holding back the Raiders.

We have new coaches who will be running new schemes. Any projection of record is a hopeful guess

There is no room for your logic during the annual "we won the offseason and are going to the playoffs (so pack your bags)" koolaid fest sir! :)

I, too, am optimistic for this upcoming season. I truly felt that Gilmore cost us games (Jets, Seahawks) and wasn't worth the high cost of retaining (he can't tackle!!). I like the immense focus from McCoach and the front office is looking very impressive. As a realist, I'm fully aware that none of that means anything until September. But, good draft picks and free agency signings make me feel way better than I had at the end of December. I really like Micah Hyde and feel he'll have an immediate impact. Zay Jones looks to be a challenge to Sammy (plus I like Holmes addition, too). Get Ragland back and see what he can do. Kyle didn't retire and I love that! LORAX is back and ready to prove that year wasn't a fluke. Shady is ready to rock. New kicker. And, add in Peterman for an actual QB controversy! Awesome!! Bring on training camp, pre-season and September!!!! GO BILLS!!!!

Stopped reading after you said Gilmore cost us two games.

OK - You DON'T think he cost us the Jets game? Really?? The Seahawks game I'll concede (even if he was a human track hurdle for Jimmy Graham, giving up a 1st down). Patriots game? Wasn't his fault, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGyLW0rbWuo

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan

Tyrod was a train wreck against Oakland lol. Defense held raiders down for 3 quarters and tyrod couldn't get a first down.

3 and out 3 straight times then 4 and fumble. He was why we lost.

That's true but Tyrod has us up was it 3 or 4 scores in a hostile environment, in the 2nd half, the D HAS to close that game out, I'm sorry.

The Bills still have too many holes to expect to win 10 games in 2017. They have big gaping holes at OLB, S, and even at CB. The Dennison offense requires TWO high quality TEs, but the Bills only have one.

I think an upgrade is needed at #2 RB as well since J. Williams did not show much last year.

Ideally, the pass rush would need to be upgraded as well. How good is Sh. Lawson?? R. Davis?? We really don't know.

New offensive system and new defensive system to adjust to. Those are big question marks. McD may need some time to acquire the types of players that he needs to play within those systems well.

I do think that T. Taylor is a much better QB than most people think he is. In a new offensive system, which I think will suit him well, Taylor could really break out this year and become a steady top 10 QB.

Sorry, but this is just ANOTHER excuse for the Bills' futility. Other teams win 10 games and even make the playoffs with flawed rosters. A number of teams have not only won 10 games but even made the playoffs during their first season under new coaches.

We're not talking about winning the Super Bowl, just about winning 10 games, something that the Bills have not done since 1999 even though numerous teams do it every season and some even do it with regularity. Hell, the Bills have won as many as 9 games only twice since 1999, so even winning that many would be a moral victory I suppose.

McDermott has far more talent, especially at key positions, than any of his predecessors have had in their initial seasons going back to the 1970s ... except for Wade Phillips whose 1998 Bills team won 10 games and made the playoffs. If McDermott is the real deal, he'll demonstrate it this season, but I'm not jumping on his bandwagon until I see results.