NFL Rule Changes for Regular Season OT & Injured Reserve?

@Gil_Brandt

There have been 83 OT games in last 5 seasons; 22 lasted at least 10 minutes into OT (26.5%)

While I understand ties may be the better way to do tie breakers for playoff seeding, I don't think the average person will see this. I think the average football fan will despise so many ties as boring and pointless.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you fine with the overtime in hockey when it was 4-4?

I understand that ties in football are difficult for fans to digest, but ties are not as common in the NFL as they were in the old days.

No I didn't care for 4-4 either...but at least that happens during regulation so it didn't bother me as much as 3-3 which is pretty rare in regulation. My problem is that I actually look forward to the shootouts.

I don't get worked up about ties in football either, like you said its not a common occurrence. It might bother me more if I was paying for season tickets.

I'm not a fan of the college OT either....but I like the hockey shoot-outs.

No doubt shoot-outs are a gimmick but I love watching them. What i can't stand is the 3-3 overtime...a gimmick trying to masquerade as real hockey.

Either way I think ties are a much bigger issue for football due to the number of games. And I may be in the minority but I prefer sudden death.

Shootouts are a helluva lot more of a gimmick than either 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 where players must actually coordinate with their teammates in all three zones.

Shootouts are a helluva lot more of a gimmick than either 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 where players must actually coordinate with their teammates in all three zones.

No doubt. There's no pretense that a shoot out is anything but a gimmick.

But a 3-3 is a gimmick masquerading as real hockey.

but it's been 3 hours and let's go home, but the shootout is fun to watch.

thankfully they keep it the same for the playoffs with sudden death

but that's brutal because I can't commit to watching a game out west starting at 10pm when they are carefully heading to OT in the playoffs on me...

NFL rosters will now drop from 90 to 53 players after the final preseason game after NFL owners voted to eliminate the cut down to 75 players before that game, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

...so an extra games pay for 37 players versus 22.....one more game before getting cut probably won't matter much for those 22................

But let's keep going with the dumb Thursday games where for most teams they have only 3 days off between games. Their history has had most games be a home team blowout.

It's gotten ridiculous how the greedy owners just care about making more money and don't care about the product on the field.

Letting NBC pick the best games for Sunday night have made a joke of the Thursday and Monday games. I'd guess 3 of 4 were totally unwatchable on Mon and Thurs for years now.

Could be, but in football, what is 5 minutes worth? 7 plays? I dunno just seems the NFL could figure out some other alternatives instead of cutting the clock by 5 minutes.

I also envision more ties if they do that. I don't think anybody anywhere wants more ties.

I agree nobody wants more ties. But at the same time, a few more ties every season isn't going to be a deal breaker from a fans perspective. This change must be in the name of player safety, it undoubtedly lessens short and long term injury risk, just at a really small level and only in special circumstances.

Player safety? Wasn't Goodell pushing for an 18 game season not too long ago?

Yeah but that was before all the concussion stuff came to the forefront though. Is Goodell not allowed to change directions along with public and player opinion? I don't understand the criticism on this point.

Next thing that needs to change is either discontinue the Thursday night games or, probably better yet for all parties, add a second bye week and have every team play the Thursday game after one of their bye weeks. This would also extend the season by one more week giving the league one more week of prime-time games to sell to the networks.

@SInow

Think shaving five minutes off OT won’t change much? Let's look at how the last five years would have been affected: http://on.si.com/2qc9qyf

DAmqh4cW0AARg1d.jpg

You have to deal with the real time parameters.

Teams adjust according to the rules at the time.

You can't paste a change into the past games as a prediction for the future.

Actually you can, but it's fatally flawed to do that...