NFL Rule Changes for Regular Season OT & Injured Reserve?

Agreed. This one is interesting to say the least.

@RapSheet

The @NFL has passed a rule change moving overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, per league official. Expected but important.

I don't get this one, sans player safety. Why? What are the League's reasons for this?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this one, sans player safety. Why? What are the League's reasons for this?

Apparently a portion of the competition committee believes that more ties in the regular season will create fewer tiebreaker scenarios for wildcard spots, and they feel that regular season ties are a better tiebreaker than some of the comparative record stuff that's in place.

Apparently a portion of the competition committee believes that more ties in the regular season will create fewer tiebreaker scenarios for wildcard spots, and they feel that regular season ties are a better tiebreaker than some of the comparative record stuff that's in place.

this makes more sense than concern for the players.. (taboo of me??)

Move it to 10 minutes so 1pm games don't bleed into the 4'ish kickoffs.

Not interested in the Jags and Rams taking 4 hours to complete a game they are too incompetent to win.

I'm not a fan. Just as I'm not a fan of shootouts in hockey.

Neither am I. The college OT rules are silly. I don't like the shootout rules in hockey. If the game ends in a tie, so be it.

Or at least mandate each team get one offensive possession. It's only fair and not as complicated as people make it to be.

Thank you!

I have been saying this for years. It is not that complicated. Each team gets one possession, and if the score still has not changed, or if both teams have scored and it is still a tie after each possession, then it becomes sudden death.

See how easy that is?

Neither am I. The college OT rules are silly. I don't like the shootout rules in hockey. If the game ends in a tie, so be it.

Thank you!

I have been saying this for years. It is not that complicated. Each team gets one possession, and if the score still has not changed, or if both teams have scored and it is still a tie after each possession, then it becomes sudden death.

See how easy that is?

One adjustment - if a TD is scored on the first possession then the other team needs to score a TD and is mandated to attempt a 2 point conversion. Stops the cycle of ties.

I'm not a fan. Just as I'm not a fan of shootouts in hockey.

I'm not a fan of the college OT either....but I like the hockey shoot-outs.

No doubt shoot-outs are a gimmick but I love watching them. What i can't stand is the 3-3 overtime...a gimmick trying to masquerade as real hockey.

Either way I think ties are a much bigger issue for football due to the number of games. And I may be in the minority but I prefer sudden death.

One adjustment - if a TD is scored on the first possession then the other team needs to score a TD and is mandated to attempt a 2 point conversion. Stops the cycle of ties.

I still prefer sudden death.

By forcing the second team to have to go for 2 on their possession, you are punishing them simply because they lost the coin toss.

I still prefer sudden death.

By forcing the second team to have to go for 2 on their possession, you are punishing them simply because they lost the coin toss.

the advantage of winning the coin toss was piddly for the years of the sudden death rule

but people are convinced it's a 98% coss-toss winner because they only remember when the team they cheered for lost by never having the ball, like they remember only gambling winnings and forget all their losses.

Player safety? Wasn't Goodell pushing for an 18 game season not too long ago?

He's totally unaccountable for his comments, when he doesn't like them he pretends they never existed. Who is gonna hold him accountable?

Player safety? Wasn't Goodell pushing for an 18 game season not too long ago?

that wasn't roger. That was the owners pushing roger. Remember he is the face of the owners. The one paid to have us hate him

Owners wanted more games for more revenue

I'm not a fan of the college OT either....but I like the hockey shoot-outs.

No doubt shoot-outs are a gimmick but I love watching them. What i can't stand is the 3-3 overtime...a gimmick trying to masquerade as real hockey.

Either way I think ties are a much bigger issue for football due to the number of games. And I may be in the minority but I prefer sudden death.

Were you fine with the overtime in hockey when it was 4-4?

I understand that ties in football are difficult for fans to digest, but ties are not as common in the NFL as they were in the old days.

I always thought OT rules could be simplified more...

First team to score points, no field goals.

It removes the nonsense about losing the game on the coin toss because your defense now has to prevent a TD at all costs, rather than just a 25 yard play.

Were you fine with the overtime in hockey when it was 4-4?

I understand that ties in football are difficult for fans to digest, but ties are not as common in the NFL as they were in the old days.

I never had a problem with a tie in the regular season in the NHL

the hassle is the visiting team has no great incentive to risk an extra point in regulation during the regular season, unless they were desperate to win they LOVE the single point for stalling out into OT, would probably agree to it during the national anthem

I always thought OT rules could be simplified more...

First team to score points, no field goals.

It removes the nonsense about losing the game on the coin toss because your defense now has to prevent a TD at all costs, rather than just a 25 yard play.

the coin toss was a minimal advantage to the winning team for the 4 or so decades of the NFL.... a minimal advantage....

for one AFL championship game the calling team gave away the ball and the wind, and won anyway.

this makes more sense than concern for the players.. (taboo of me??)

Wouldn't be surprised if this the real reason, instead of them saying it's for player safety.

Move it to 10 minutes so 1pm games don't bleed into the 4'ish kickoffs.

Not interested in the Jags and Rams taking 4 hours to complete a game they are too incompetent to win.

Now this is an interesting theory. You might have nailed it.

Wouldn't be surprised if this the real reason, instead of them saying it's for player safety.

Now this is an interesting theory. You might have nailed it.

A few times we've been hi-jacked with a horrible game for the full OT where they couldn't score against a Division 2 college team, not getting to the anticipated 4pm game until the 2nd quarter.

moving the second game kickoff later has helped a lot

now just to get the move to the better NCAA hoops game at 9 while the 7pm game cuts in and Pitino is fouling the last 3 minutes while down 20 points...