NFL Rule Changes for Regular Season OT & Injured Reserve?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what shortening the overtime accomplishes. It's not like fans are going to be sitting on the edge of their seats wondering if the game is going to end in a tie.

Yeah, not sure what 5 minutes less accomplishes either.

Nothing wrong with OT now.

Might be a nod to player safety?

Most likely, yeah. It would allow for an even bigger disadvantage if you were to play a knock-down, drag-out 75 minutes of football on a Sunday evening, and then have to play another game on Thursday night... Maybe even against a team who played in a blowout on Sunday, so they only played about 40 meaningful snaps.

Might be a nod to player safety?

Could be, but in football, what is 5 minutes worth? 7 plays? I dunno just seems the NFL could figure out some other alternatives instead of cutting the clock by 5 minutes.

I also envision more ties if they do that. I don't think anybody anywhere wants more ties.

Change the OT to college rules. If you want a tie, go watch soccer

I think that's one thing that college has over the NFL. Would avoid the kick-offs that they despise so much and makes more sense than a tie. Teams don't prepare for 7 days or more to have a tie.

I'm not a fan. Just as I'm not a fan of shootouts in hockey.

Me neither, while exciting yes, I think it's a terrible way to decide the outcome of a game. Same thing in soccer.

Then totally abandon it during the playoffs.

Not a hope, the worst sports gimmick ever invented.

And they count all the stats as if they are regulation as well..

Me neither, while exciting yes, I think it's a terrible way to decide the outcome of a game. Same thing in soccer.

Then totally abandon it during the playoffs.

They totally abandon designated "apes on skates" to start a useless fight in the NHL playoffs as well.

Or at least mandate each team get one offensive possession. It's only fair and not as complicated as people make it to be.

But I would not mind a college style OT either.

I'm not a fan. Just as I'm not a fan of shootouts in hockey.

Not a hope, the worst sports gimmick ever invented.

And they count all the stats as if they are regulation as well..

Yeah, college OT is the worst. Current NFL OT is just about perfect. I have no concern about shortening the OT one way or another. If they do it, it would be interesting to see if there are more ties.

And what's so bad about a tie anyway? It's worse than a win, but better than a loss. In a 16-game season, one extra win (or loss) is often the difference between playoffs or not, or home field or not, or a bye or not. It's pretty harsh to have all that come down to who's better at 2-pt conversions. Besides, if you get rid of ties, we can't criticize coaches for playing too conservative in OT any more.

Or at least mandate each team get one offensive possession. It's only fair and not as complicated as people make it to be.

But I would not mind a college style OT either.

That's about the only change I'd be cool with. I still prefer the current system, but that would be okay. You'd have to write it so that a kick return counts as an offensive possession.

That's about the only change I'd be cool with. I still prefer the current system, but that would be okay. You'd have to write it so that a kick return counts as an offensive possession.

Agree. As long as each team gets a shot at a possession. You fumble a KO and that's your shot.

Every play a Red Zone play.

1st team scored a TD and PAT, chances are the other will try a 2 point conversion if they score.

Game over.

Agree. As long as each team gets a shot at a possession. You fumble a KO and that's your shot.

thats what I'd like to see

well..... Maybe one exception, the fumble isn't on the opening kick.

by the Bills