Do unfit/overweight trainers at gyms give a poor reflection?

Is it a poor reflection? Yes. Could they still be great trainers? Absolutely! If they prove they can do the job....carry on.

When we travel by car to resort areas, I'll often bring along my tennis stuff. I treat myself by hiring a "pro" for a "lesson". Usually it's just hitting for an hour, and that's fine for $60-$120 dollars depending on where we are. On occasion I discover that the "pro" can't even play! They just feed balls from hopper to 6 year olds, or it's some old man who,plays with his old buddies, needs some extra cash, but can't hit a friggin' backhand. :( I've been known to get some apologies and my money back. And I'm NOT a tennis stud. If they are taking money, they should know what the heck they are doing! Regardless of how they look.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gym that I go to has a few personal trainers that are overweight. It's also a chain franchise...24 Hour Fitness.

I saw one at lunch today that looks like she doesn't work out at all. She was instructing an older woman on exercises.

The one that really made me think was the Nutrionalist/Weight Loss "expert". That's literally her title by her photo on the wall. She's fat, no obese but definitely overweight. That kinda blows my mind. If I was getting coached by her, I don't know if I could take her seriously.

What do you guys think?

It's unprofessional but a fat person can be a good trainer. It's like having a fat coach in a sport.

If you're powerlifter you can be as fat as you want. :D

The biggest offender that I've noticed is that most trainers have one way to teach, and that they believe that their one way is the only way that works.

So in other words you need to fit their scheme?

Sounds familiar.

on a slightly side note, would you go to a really out of shape physician?

Overweight because he's older? Yeah I could.

Younger guy....probably not.

I worked for a healthcare company years ago. In order to bring on a new patient, we have to have our nurse evaluate them. This one patient lived on the second floor of an apartment complex. It was roughly 15 steps. She had to take a break halfway up because it was too tough for her....she was obese. It was so embarrassing because the patients daughter was watching. Took about a solid minute for her to walk up the stairs and we were going to be providing services for her mother.

I got into a car accident about 10 years ago and a cop showed up. He was writing a ticket to the other guy for following to closely. The cop was morbidly obese. He dropped his pen and couldn't pick it up without dropping to his knee. Then it took him 10 seconds to stand back up. It was so embarrassing to look at being that this guy protects citizens but couldn't run after an old man with a walker if he had to.

I know someone who is a trainer and a yoga instructor and she is a bit heavy. But she's toned and you can tell right away she knows her stuff and works out a lot.

But I wouldn't want to train with a flab ball who hasn't spent any significant time using a gym. There's tricks and subtleties to doing lifts and ones that are too hard on the joints.

So, weight is not a disqualifier, but I would talk to any potential trainer and find out their fitness background and go from there.

As a counterpoint, the trainers who are really ripped and in top shape are often aholes who lord over you and preach incorrect info because it worked for them and they didn't get hurt doing it.

To each his own.

Vastly Alekseyev and Aleksey Medvedev weren't trim..

I was more of a fan during the Zhabotinsky/Vlasov rivalry.

The Press sisters, Irina and Tamara could show you how it's done.

I could be a part time trainer, wine glass lifting.

We're better off getting rid of anyone who actually needs that type of training.

It's unprofessional but a fat person can be a good trainer. It's like having a fat coach in a sport.

If you're powerlifter you can be as fat as you want. :D

That and many times, the people who are really good at something are unable to teach it. Think of the incredible coaching career of Wayne Gretzky.

We're better off getting rid of anyone who actually needs that type of training.

That and many times, the people who are really good at something are unable to teach it. Think of the incredible coaching career of Wayne Gretzky.

I think the best coaches are the ones who were below average players. They can understand the struggles of not having elite level talent and working through it.

I can't remember who it was but there was a guy who either played for Ted Williams or played with Ted Williams. Anyway, he said the reason Ted failed as a coach because he couldn't understand how to work with guys who weren't as talented as him. It was like a "I can do it, why can't you? It's easy". What's easy for Teddy Ballgame isn't easy for Johnny LessTalent.

I think the best coaches are the ones who were below average players. They can understand the struggles of not having elite level talent and working through it.

I can't remember who it was but there was a guy who either played for Ted Williams or played with Ted Williams. Anyway, he said the reason Ted failed as a coach because he couldn't understand how to work with guys who weren't as talented as him. It was like a "I can do it, why can't you? It's easy". What's easy for Teddy Ballgame isn't easy for Johnny LessTalent.

The main reason Ted failed because his only options were terrible teams.

It's a lot easier when you are handed (for example) Jordan/Kobe/Shaq in their prime.

Or you are handed the defending champion Habs and their 70s dynasty which anyone could have coached to success.

The main reason Ted failed because his only options were terrible teams.

It's a lot easier when you are handed (for example) Jordan/Kobe/Shaq in their prime.

Or you are handed the defending champion Habs and their 70s dynasty which anyone could have coached to success.

Why couldn't he turn around these terrible teams? Why wasn't he given better options after the stint with Washington?

Why couldn't he turn around these terrible teams? Why wasn't he given better options after the stint with Washington?

So every coach, let me get this straight without laughing.... who doesn't TURN AROUND a horrible team, must be a horrible coach?

LOL!!

How did the genius Phil Jackson do when Kwame was his stud? How is Phil going to turn around the Knicks with his genius?

Or Bowman when he tried to put a decent Sabres team together?

Edited by row_33

So every coach, let me get this straight without laughing.... who doesn't TURN AROUND a horrible team, must be a horrible coach?

LOL!!

How did the genius Phil Jackson do when Kwame was his stud? How is Phil going to turn around the Knicks with his genius?

Or Bowman when he tried to put a decent Sabres team together?

Maybe you should read this again. I never said he was a horrible coach....like ever. Never even alluded to it.

You said he failed because he was given terrible teams. So I asked two questions about why he couldn't turn them around and why didn't another team give him a chance...fairly reasonable questions. Then you put words in my mouth.

Not only that but Kwame Brown was never Phil Jackson's stud. He only played 3 seasons under Jackson and was a part time starter. Their "studs" were Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom who in 2008, went to the NBA finals.

Lets also add that Phil Jackson isn't the coach of the Knicks and hasn't been since being with the organization. So I guess we just from coaching to Front Office roles LOL.

My god Row....

Edited by Teeflebees

on a slightly side note, would you go to a really out of shape physician?

Abso!@#$inglutely. I'm not looking for superman. I'm looking with someone with the knowledge of what I need to be doing to get and stay healthy. I could give a rat's ass if he smoked, ate like a pig and drank like a fish. As long as he is sober (or at least relatively sober :D) when he meets with me. Who cares if he follows his own advice as long as it's sound advice. And yes I'll take his advice. Remember he's not an online doctor unlike Dr 420 who I got ma MM card from. :lol: