Of all the cooking shows, which one do you like?

mead107

I like the competition shows like Chopped, Iron Chef, Cutthroat Kitchen, Master Chef, etc.

Hell's Kitchen is fun for the competitions and punishments.

Troubleshooting shows like the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant: Impossible are great. I like the BBC version better because it actually shows Ramsay teaching them how to cook, how to run the business, etc., rather than the Dr. Phil in a restaurant bullcrap Fox shows as the US version.

My favorite, though, is Gordon Ramsay's F Word. It a BBC show they play on BBC America. It's a combination of a competition, teaching, and magazine show. He has a brigade of amateurs create a 3-course meal for a restaurant, and teaches viewers the recipes. One thing they focus throughout the season on is him teaching his kids about how to raise and care for animals (turkeys, pigs, etc.), which are served during the season finale, in order to teach them where food comes from and to respect food.

He also has a weekly celebrity cook-off where he takes on a British celebrity to cook their signature dish, judged by a blind taste test. It's freakin' hilarious when he loses.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chopped and Alton Brown.

"Rendered goat livers, flaked acacia bark, dehydrated chom chom and....cheetos. Good luck chefs!"

Haha! I will actually pause it right after that, and think "WTF do you do with THAT???" I rarely have an answer.....

I used to watch all these shows, and suddenly I was no longer watching chefs, but celebrity's. Hey...I like Valerie Bertinelli, but, y'know...not in the kitchen.

Guilty Pleasures is two steps away from being a freaking infomercial.

In the end, one show remains the most honest and, therefore, the most enjoyable to watch: Master Chef Junior. The kids are absolutely amazing cooks, but they're also kids, and unlike cooking competition shows for adults, kids are too young to be detestably competitive. They inevitably become friends, and as they watch one friend after another get eliminated, there's nothing fake about it.

Watching Gordon Ramsey go from douchenozzle to Jr. doucehnozzle is especially endearing. That show doesn't work with someone like Bobby Flay.

I've always loved cooking shows. I remember watching the cajun dude Justin Wilson when I was a kid. I used to love Emeril Live but now I'm mostly a DDD, Chopped, Beat Bobby Flay and Iron Chef fan. I like Guys Grocery Games too. I will watch The Kitchen too because I'm in lust with Katie Lee! :wub:

I've always loved cooking shows. I remember watching the cajun dude Justin Wilson when I was a kid. I used to love Emeril Live but now I'm mostly a DDD, Chopped, Beat Bobby Flay and Iron Chef fan. I like Guys Grocery Games too. I will watch The Kitchen too because I'm in lust with Katie Lee! :wub:

Then you should focus on Beach Bites! :)

It's a total and complete guilty pleasure I grant you, but I enjoy Masterchef Australia. Charismatic judges, amazing complex challenges and world renowned guest chefs. It's even on 5 days a week, but I've only been able to find it on euro streaming sites. I also enjoy the judges and food critics on UK Masterchef; the Chef's Table challenge just before the finale is often the biggest gathering of Michelin starred chefs in the world for that year. Can't stand Chef Ramsay and his stupid questions to the contestants like 'who do you most want to take out of the competition' - won't watch him ever again.

I had never heard of Help My Yelp until it came on today. Caught the end of a place in NJ, then a BBQ place came on 20 minutes from my house near Atlanta. I'll check that out for the heck of it.

I usually love a lot of foot network shows, then lose interest in them, and then come back to them a little.

I think the one show that has the best staying power is DDD. I have been to a bunch of the restaurants on that show when I am in another city and they never disappoint.

I have been into "help my yelp" lately-- more of a hipster version of "restaurant impossible." Okay show but I am already losing interest after a few episodes.

You and Rex too!

I would watch alot of 'Triple D', even have 2 of the books that go along with the show with recipies from the restaurants along with the Canadian version of the show 'You gotta Eat Here' (also have 2 of the books and have been to a couple of the places around here they went to)

I will sometimes watch Bobby Flays BBQ show, or another Canadian BBQ show hosted by a former CFL QB (Dunnigan IIRC) where he BBQs for a crowd

In case any one is interested, PBS ( at least here in Richmond) is airing 3 of the American Masters episodes that feature James Beard, Julia Child and Jacques Pepin. Watched the James Beard one, was very interesting. I really knew nothing about that dude axcpet his name was on restaurant awards...learn something new everyday.

PBS tends to run things 100 times a week, so sure you can find on your guide.

Also, for the folks who like the Bourdain, Zimmern type travel food shows, "I'll have What Phil is Having" is re-airing on PBS now as well. Phil Rosenthal was the lead writer on Everyone Loves Raymond...dude is just plain funny to watch and the show is fantastic.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/what-phils-having/

Edited by plenzmd1