What if Peterman is better than Mahomes??

I don't think you know the definition of hindsight. Plenty of posters wanted the Bills to draft a qb at 10. I hope Peterman works out but it's silly to expect that much from him. I hope the Chiefs have an awful year. I hope that we are able to get a stud qb next year.

But if these things don't work out and Watson/ Mahomes become good qbs, it's a bad trade.

Don't totally disagree. But it's not crazy to trust Andy Reid and Bill O'Brien's (coaches of teams that make the playoffs every year) judgment over SM's at this point.

One of the things I would ask is how Reid and O'Brien get the rep as QB gurus. O'Brien hasn't had a good one yet in Houston and Reid had one in McNabb, who led his team to one SB over a number of years. Both good coaches but success primarily based on their defenses in KC and Houston, seems to me.

By your definition it's impossible for any team to ever make a mistake of any kind.

Sure they can. But you only know that in hindsight.

I don't think we need to worry about that.

It will be nice when KC defensive scoring luck runs out and they have a down year and the Bills end up with two first round picks in the upper teens.

I had Peterman as my #2 QB behind Trubisky. He has a very good chance at having a longer career than Mahomes. Mahomes probably has a higher ceiling, he's just very very unlikely to ever reach it.

Vague speculation at its finest. Mahomes will be a superstar or bust? Peterman might be a journeyman backup, similar to Charlie Whitehurst?

Sorry needed to meet my clipboard Jesus requirements for 17'

You're inventing a distinction where there is none. It is hindsight. KC was willing to take the (frankly low) chance that Mahomes will turn out to be special. There are dozens of scouting/trading/drafting articles that have been written, documenting the plague of evaluation overconfidence that spans the entire NFL. There is an extremely large chance that the trade works out in Buffalo's favor. If it doesn't, that will suck, but that will be the result of information not available at the time the decision was made. Hindsight by definition.

The longer statement is only true if you believe NFL scouting departments get their information from internet draft articles and scouting evaluations from Todd McShay or Mel Kiper.

Vague speculation at its finest. Mahomes will be a superstar or bust? Peterman might be a journeyman backup, similar to Charlie Whitehurst?

Sorry needed to meet my clipboard Jesus requirements for 17'

Of course it's speculation, that's all we have right now. I think Peterman's traits translate to the NFL better than Mahomes's do. We will see.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I absolutely know the definition. We will only be able to evaluate the picks made several years down the road. At that point regardless of how things pan out people will offer opinions. That is pretty much the definition of hindsight.

Hindsight is looking back after you have all the facts. It's like saying the Bills should have drafted Brady instead of Leif Larsen.

I am saying right now that I wanted Watson, Mahomes, or OJ Howard without knowing how any of their NFL careers will go. How is that hindsight? I may be proved wrong(and I hope I do) but there is zero hindsight.

One of the things I would ask is how Reid and O'Brien get the rep as QB gurus. O'Brien hasn't had a good one yet in Houston and Reid had one in McNabb, who led his team to one SB over a number of years. Both good coaches but success primarily based on their defenses in KC and Houston, seems to me.

Sure they can. But you only know that in hindsight.

You are severely under rating Reid. MCNabb was very raw and got booed at his draft. He made Kevin Kolb into that hot backup and traded him for a 2nd rounder. He made the dog Killer Vick have his best season and actually look like a real qb. Alex Smith has completely maxed out his talent under Reid. He is one of the best qb coaches in the NFL and it's not really a question.

O'Brien may be overrated but he is constantly trying. And again, who should you trust more- KC and Houston or Buffalo and Cleveland ?

Of course it's speculation, that's all we have right now. I think Peterman's traits translate to the NFL better than Mahomes's do. We will see.

I would be very happy with this. But again, why does the most pro ready qb slip to the 5th without any serious issues? Is the rest of the league just stupid?

Drafting a quarterback is really a crap shoot. Just because a team trades up to get you, doesn't mean you will pan out. Who is a better quarterback Jared Goff or Dak Prescott? Wouldn't it be funny if Mahomes is a bust and Peterman is the next Zak Prerscott. LOL The Bills are due to get some luck.

you mean the same peterman that lost the U of Ten QB position making him run to Pitt where he could be in the same system with no one to compete with?.... He is nothing more than a 5th rd training camp arm

Edited by liverpoolkev

I assumed that to be your logical conclusion.

Can you give examples in the modern NFL of what you consider to be a drafting "mistake" and one that had a poor outcome but was not a "mistake" and contrast them?

Mistake - CJ Spiller. A high 1st-round pick used on a highly fungible position that also happened to be a team strength. Even if Spiller had gone on to have a good career, this selection made no sense.

Fine decision w/ poor outcome - Sammy Watkins (the pick, in isolation from the trade). Numerous other receivers from the same class have thus far had better careers. Watkins was nearly universally regarded as the best WR prospect in years, let alone that class. Evans and Beckham have both done better than expected, Watkins has been beset by injury. Unfortunate for us, but unknowable at the time.

Hindsight is looking back after you have all the facts. It's like saying the Bills should have drafted Brady instead of Leif Larsen.

I am saying right now that I wanted Watson, Mahomes, or OJ Howard without knowing how any of their NFL careers will go. How is that hindsight? I may be proved wrong(and I hope I do) but there is zero hindsight.

You are severely under rating Reid. MCNabb was very raw and got booed at his draft. He made Kevin Kolb into that hot backup and traded him for a 2nd rounder. He made the dog Killer Vick have his best season and actually look like a real qb. Alex Smith has completely maxed out his talent under Reid. He is one of the best qb coaches in the NFL and it's not really a question.

O'Brien may be overrated but he is constantly trying. And again, who should you trust more- KC and Houston or Buffalo and Cleveland ?

I would be very happy with this. But again, why does the most pro ready qb slip to the 5th without any serious issues? Is the rest of the league just stupid?

All of them have had pretty poor QB play in recent history. I don't see why KC and Houston get puffed up on QB knowledge when their success has been founded on strong defense and special teams. It wasn't so long ago that KC went an entire season without a WR catching a TD. I'm not sure if acquiring Osweilier was better or worse than acquiring RG3.

I really wonder how Andy Reid has so little respect by Bills fans. Then again, this is a fan base that has forgotten what a real QB looks like.

Drafting a quarterback is really a crap shoot. Just because a team trades up to get you, doesn't mean you will pan out. Who is a better quarterback Jared Goff or Dak Prescott? Wouldn't it be funny if Mahomes is a bust and Peterman is the next Zak Prerscott. LOL The Bills are due to get some luck.

I like the idea that Peterman could be better than Mahomes, but I don't think it is fair to compare a 5th to a 1st round pick if their careers don't pan out. I'd rather compare the success of Tre' White, and the potential pick next year. I'd rather compare the two players between White and next years pick to Mahomes.

Are these two players better than Mahomes? Would you rather have Mahomes or these two guys? That should be the real question.

You're giving him credit for Favre? Vick? Garcia? They last two were veterans and the first one you had Mariucci, Holmgren.

Please.

Your wish is your wish. Whether your wish works out will only be evaluated in hindsight.