The Crying Game: Consolidated thread for the downers

Where are they better? Is this a serious question? Do you just not pay attention to anything and blindly remain in a constant state of misery and negativity?

Let me help you with the painfully obvious you can't seem to see any positives in:

1. Already better with a healthy Sammy. There is no reason to believe Sammy wont be healthy week 1, I am sure you think otherwise, but he is right on track and until something happens to change that, I expect him ready to play.

2. Overall WR Group is already better in addition to healthy Sammy, with Zay and Free Agency - No gimpy and stumbling Woods, No gimpy Goodwin, No beyond gimpy/can't play a down Harvin. Having our better guys on the field, and having a group thats overall better than last is already a big improvement.

3. Shaq Lawson is back and going to have a full camp under a better coach and system.

4. Reggie Ragland is back and ready to show why he was a top prospect last year before injury.

5. We are better at Safety with Hyde (I like AW but you can't help the team on the sidelines).

6. We have new coaches who fit our personnel better and also bring discipline, that alone is better than last 2 years.

7. We look to have a better RT even before our draft class hits the field.

8. Our best DL in Dareus here for the full season.

9. White vs Gilmore is a much bigger set of shoes to fill, but I think our overall secondary play should be better with our front 7 at full force now and Hyde behind our DB's.

10. Hughes - Nothing has changed with him, but he can be that more impactful when we are at full strength around him in Dareus, Shaq, Rags, Kyle, etc...plus can't wait to see how the system fits him.

Last but not least - There is reason to look at QB and say we are better there this year than last year too. TT is now coming into his 3rd year (still doesn't have 2 full seasons of games started), but most importantly we are not firing our OC in week 2, he has better weapons, he has his best weapon back, and we have what looks to be a more competent staff. His biggest single flaw was pulling his eyes too soon to look for running lanes causing him to not have the patience to see plays develop or come open. 2 big contributors to that were his complete green light from Rex and Company to run at will, and his lack of confidence/trust/rapport with the scrubs that mostly suited up at WR last year due to injuries. We were so desperate we picked up cast offs and has beens off the street during the season to START. Add in the turn style play on the right side of the line last year, and there are reasons to sit back and look at our QB play and think it will likely be better this year than last year. And considering our O was one of the top scoring offenses in the NFL with TT and scrubs at WR, its pretty easy to think the passing game can and should improve this year.

And before anyone makes any dumb comments pretending that I am predicting we are winning 10+ games or that TT establishes himself as the man this year....you are wrong. I am answering the question in the post above that asked "where are we better" and the things listed above or places that currently look like we are better at. ONLY the play on the field will determine the true reality if we are better/worse/same at those positions and as a team. But if you can't look at that list and think we could very well be better at those spots, then you more than likely can't ever see anything positive with this team and would rather just wallow in misery.

outstanding post. i'm with you that none of this guarantees or even means a winning season, but there are a lot of potential positives in place. could it all blow up and be same old same old? of course, but there's definitely enough "new" on this team to keep an interested, watchful eye on the bills.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about being down on the Bills. I'm down on the Bills. The problem is the constant whining and crying about the same things by the same people in every thread. It makes this TDB a much less enjoyable place for the majority

Yeah that's fair, i personally quite like Tyrod and hope we do well this year. However i still only expect about 8 wins.

huckle...the bills just aren't fun for you anymore. don't you think it's just time to move onto something else?

i don't get why people use their time to be angry on a message board. no one know if next year will be any different, which is why we watch, and why we're all excited when a new season starts.

How many TV's do you think Huckle has had to replace?

I'm going back to being completely in the tank for this team. I'll be finding all the positives going forward. Could happen. McD is the competent Jauron. TT is the competent EJ. Shady is the most underrated RB in the league by a wide margin. We could have a top 10 O Line this year. In fact , it is likely. Love the D Line and the Edge guys. Love the abandonment of the Rex D. Kolby Listenbee is a baller, we just haven't been able to see it yet.

Dude, you seem to misunderstand the purpose of this thread. post your positivity elsewhere... ;)

Even more than when an airline over books his flight and wants to kick him off? Would you have your cell phone rolling if you're witnessing that? What if he just got on the plane after a Bills loss?

i want to have my cell phone rolling whenever he's on a computer posting here. i bet it's a similar reaction, but with no guards hauling him out.

Yeah that's fair, i personally quite like Tyrod and hope we do well this year. However i still only expect about 8 wins.

I like Tyrod too. He's exciting and can do things that no other qb can do. Just need him to improve in the areas where other QBs shine and he is behind the curve. I hope that he can turn into our franchise guy and lead us to the promised land. Based on what I've seen so far, I'm very skeptical of it ever happening....but I'll be rooting him on

Where are they better? Is this a serious question? Do you just not pay attention to anything and blindly remain in a constant state of misery and negativity?

Let me help you with the painfully obvious you can't seem to see any positives in:

1. Already better with a healthy Sammy. There is no reason to believe Sammy wont be healthy week 1, I am sure you think otherwise, but he is right on track and until something happens to change that, I expect him ready to play.

2. Overall WR Group is already better in addition to healthy Sammy, with Zay and Free Agency - No gimpy and stumbling Woods, No gimpy Goodwin, No beyond gimpy/can't play a down Harvin. Having our better guys on the field, and having a group thats overall better than last is already a big improvement.

3. Shaq Lawson is back and going to have a full camp under a better coach and system.

4. Reggie Ragland is back and ready to show why he was a top prospect last year before injury.

5. We are better at Safety with Hyde (I like AW but you can't help the team on the sidelines).

6. We have new coaches who fit our personnel better and also bring discipline, that alone is better than last 2 years.

7. We look to have a better RT even before our draft class hits the field.

8. Our best DL in Dareus here for the full season.

9. White vs Gilmore is a much bigger set of shoes to fill, but I think our overall secondary play should be better with our front 7 at full force now and Hyde behind our DB's.

10. Hughes - Nothing has changed with him, but he can be that more impactful when we are at full strength around him in Dareus, Shaq, Rags, Kyle, etc...plus can't wait to see how the system fits him.

Last but not least - There is reason to look at QB and say we are better there this year than last year too. TT is now coming into his 3rd year (still doesn't have 2 full seasons of games started), but most importantly we are not firing our OC in week 2, he has better weapons, he has his best weapon back, and we have what looks to be a more competent staff. His biggest single flaw was pulling his eyes too soon to look for running lanes causing him to not have the patience to see plays develop or come open. 2 big contributors to that were his complete green light from Rex and Company to run at will, and his lack of confidence/trust/rapport with the scrubs that mostly suited up at WR last year due to injuries. We were so desperate we picked up cast offs and has beens off the street during the season to START. Add in the turn style play on the right side of the line last year, and there are reasons to sit back and look at our QB play and think it will likely be better this year than last year. And considering our O was one of the top scoring offenses in the NFL with TT and scrubs at WR, its pretty easy to think the passing game can and should improve this year.

And before anyone makes any dumb comments pretending that I am predicting we are winning 10+ games or that TT establishes himself as the man this year....you are wrong. I am answering the question in the post above that asked "where are we better" and the things listed above or places that currently look like we are better at. ONLY the play on the field will determine the true reality if we are better/worse/same at those positions and as a team. But if you can't look at that list and think we could very well be better at those spots, then you more than likely can't ever see anything positive with this team and would rather just wallow in misery.

1. I agree with you. Watkins is the only WR on the team with Top 30 NFL talent. I think, health aside, it’s been 3 years and we are still waiting for the Bills to commit to using him.

2. This one I am not sure on. This is an offense that does not throw the ball. McDermott has said that this is a team that is going to win by running the football. Hard for me to say that Zay Jones is better than Robert Woods, both were selected high 2nd Round, both had about the same measureables after the Combine.

Goodwin was extremely fragile, but Listenbee hasn’t played a game yet either. I think in FA the Bills did what they should have – find young veterans on the cheap. I liked the pickups of Philly Brown and Andre Holmes.

3. Shaq Lawson’s combine profile was compared to Courtney Upshaw. I am not sure how good he is going to be. Most had him pegged as a 5-8 sack sort of player.

4. Ragland is like a lot of Alabama prospects, stout against the run, sure tackler. I am eager to see him play.

5. I am happy to see a complete reboot at Safety. Flushed out the last of the Buddy Nix era players like Duke Williams and Aaron Williams was living off one good 2013 season. Otherwise, he was injured almost every year.

6. I think this is the hope, but not a guarantee

7. Again, this is a hope, but as we’ve seen with Cyrus K (#41), just because you are 2nd Round OT doesn’t mean that you can beat out the incumbent at RT.

8. Give it to you, I hope Dareus is in shape

9. Again, this is a hope. Gilmore was not my favorite player, and I think he was overrated, but none of those guys behind Darby are used to covering starting WRs. The guys we have picked up recently in FA were depth reserves for the Panthers and Ravens.

10. I like Hughes, and I do hope he gets back to his 9, 10 sack self

11. Tyrod – I don’t put much (if any) stock into another year in the system. Not every QB just keeps getting better and better with time. In fact, sometimes it’s the opposite (Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Robert Griffin III, Nick Foles). He didn’t look any different last year, and that started Game 1, Play 1.

12. I can see that we can be better in some spots. What I am not convinced of is that we have added anyone that significantly changes our outlook. The QB is the same, we lost depth at RB, our WRs may be a bit better, Clay has been here two years and is ok, our secondary is being reworked, and our Front 7 is thin. We’ve seen in Buffalo that a new Coach doesn’t mean anything when it comes to immediate winning.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

How many TV's do you think Huckle has had to replace?

None.

Teef alluded to this point about me being angry.

I'm not angry. In fact I say the opposite. As time has gone on, I care less about the Bills and the NFL in general.

Goodell and his constant rule changes have dampened my interest. Also, most of our seasons go like last season. The Bills are hovering around 0.500 somewhere at the mid-point of the season.

At that point I know its over. During the drought the Bills have not shown the ability to win down the stretch as the intensity ratchets up and the injuries start to erode the depth on teams. The Bills fade every year down the stretch, Last year, the first Miami game was a killer. Instead of 5-2, it was 4-3 heading into New England with Brady and Seattle.

I have found myself enjoying the post-game discussion and off-season more than the games. By about October I stop watching the actual games and enjoy my Sundays. I spend time in the park with my family.

So no TVs, no drywall holes, no screaming.When you watch the NFL Playoffs, it becomes apparent that the Bills could not withstand that intensity for more than a quarter.

This is Year 3 with Baltimore's backup QB. We did 3 years (and 2 games) of Trent and another 3 years of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Guest NeckBeard

Hopefully he doesn't hit a stud in the wall...that would hurt and make him more angry.

Sometimes you hit a stud in the wall. At least that's what I've read on craigslist.

None.

Teef alluded to this point about me being angry.

I'm not angry. In fact I say the opposite. As time has gone on, I care less about the Bills and the NFL in general.

Goodell and his constant rule changes have dampened my interest. Also, most of our seasons go like last season. The Bills are hovering around 0.500 somewhere at the mid-point of the season.

At that point I know its over. During the drought the Bills have not shown the ability to win down the stretch as the intensity ratchets up and the injuries start to erode the depth on teams. The Bills fade every year down the stretch, Last year, the first Miami game was a killer. Instead of 5-2, it was 4-3 heading into New England with Brady and Seattle.

I have found myself enjoying the post-game discussion and off-season more than the games. By about October I stop watching the actual games and enjoy my Sundays. I spend time in the park with my family.

So no TVs, no drywall holes, no screaming.When you watch the NFL Playoffs, it becomes apparent that the Bills could not withstand that intensity for more than a quarter.

This is Year 3 with Baltimore's backup QB. We did 3 years (and 2 games) of Trent and another 3 years of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

So why spend so much time discussing and/or arguing about the Bills on a message board if your interest has diminished? It's up to you, of course, but why argue about a team (on a message board) that you are meh about based on your own admission? Do you just like arguing on a message board?

Edited by NeckBeard

...Pegula's are neophyte owners, new to the sports ownership thing......between the Bills & Sabres, they paid close to $1.7 billion.....think they want to be losers?.....think they should not be expected to have HAD made mistakes and may continue to do so?....care to cite the stellar ownerships of Jones (1989) and Snyder (1999) and their NOW mistake free operations?....I think they're beyond hiring "big name guys" to run sports operations (LaFontaine & Wrecks days are over).....McCoach is a solid hire (on paper) as far as a hard nosed, all business approach.....if TP thinks the proper structure is to have a VP of Football Ops AND a GM, it will happen...for all we know, Coughlin (Jags Veep) may have told him that would be his recommended structure (Caldwell is Jags' GM)......this organization has NOT had a solid FO run by football people since Polian......where do you think SEVENTEEN YEARS of futility points to?.........and he'll get the Sabres right as well.......the "clueless", "lousy owners", "jokesters", etc adjectives come from posters who the savvy here could easily predict....they choose to profess their ignorance but there is no need to do so...save their thoughts because we know who they are....fuggin' guy buys Bills, Sabres, Rochester Amerks, Bandits and builds Harbor Centre , probably >$2 billion and the yipsters keep pounding their little keyboards in cowardice....nice........

Sometimes you hit a stud in the wall. At least that's what I've read on craigslist.

So why spend so much time discussing and/or arguing about the Bills on a message board if your interest has diminished? It's up to you, of course, but why argue about a team (on a message board) that you are meh about based on your own admission? Do you just like arguing on a message board?

My thoughts exactly Edited by NewEra

Ah the good old Buffalo News bringing something to complain about. Pre Season Rankings

The Buffalo Bills won't have any problem playing the "nobody believed in us" card in 2017.

A sampling of offseason power rankings shows little is expected of the team in 2017. ESPN debuted its rankings Monday, with the Bills coming in at No. 26.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/08/bills-bottom-dwellers-early-power-rankings/

ESPN debuted its rankings Monday, with the Bills coming in at No. 26.

USA Today had the Bills at spot lower, at No. 27 in the 32-team league.

CBS Sports' Pete Prisco also has the Bills 26th. They had a solid draft, but they are the third team in the division."

Ready for some good news?

The Bills were looked at more favorably by Sports Illustrated, coming in at No. 19 in that publication's rankings.